Moca 2.5

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fyodor, May 8, 2019.

1. May 8, 2019 #1 of 83
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    This isn't strictly Tivo related, but I thought I'd mention it. This company has been posting that they'll be offering MoCA 2.5 adapters shortly. The site is up but not yet taking orders.

https://www.gocoax.com/newsletter

aaronwt likes this.
  2. May 8, 2019 #2 of 83
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    https://www.gocoax.com/

This guy’s been teasing the product for months over on SNB Forums:

Liuzhe

edit: p.s. Can’t say I love the vibes from the corporate street address, on Halliburton Road.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. May 8, 2019 #3 of 83
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm sure it's a small office for coordinating the inbound shipments from the port. Everyone else is in China.

4. May 8, 2019 #4 of 83
    El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Would any tivo model be compatible with this? I thought moca networks work at the speed of the device with the lowest standard.

5. May 9, 2019 #5 of 83
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Well, you'd need the Tivo to also have an adapter and even if it did, I think that transfers to/from Tivos are probably capped off before the reach the limits of a bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter. But we see a lot of people asking for advice about home networking setups that go beyond pure Tivo networking issues.

6. May 9, 2019 #6 of 83
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    That is correct.

While all versions of MoCA (1.0, 1.1, 2.0 or bonded 2.0) are technically ‘backward compatible,' mixing devices with different versions of MoCA results in network speeds and other capabilities that will be based on the oldest unit’s specifications.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  7. May 9, 2019 #7 of 83
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Although, this was stated to be the case by a number of MoCA authorities when MoCA 2.0 devices arrived on the market, it has been demonstrated false by myself and a large number of folks who actually have tested it. The fact is that the MoCA speeds is dependent on the specific two devices which are connecting and 2 legs with say MoCA 2.0 adapters will pass MoCA 2.0 speeds even if there are MoCA 1.1 adapters on the same network. There is one exception which I have found to this rule, the older WCB3000N network extenders do, in fact, bring the entire MoCA network down to MoCA 1.1 speeds but every other MoCA 1.1 adapter does not have that effect.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. May 9, 2019 #8 of 83
    fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    My Actiontec 1.1 adapters used to bring down the speed of the whole network too. At some point there was an SNB thread on this issue that showed mixed results. Though I took Diane's comment to refer to the speeds you'd get out of a Tivo that itself had an older version of MoCa, not how that device would affect other nodes

9. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Exactly what I meant. I don't know about you, but the only things on the MOCA network in our house are 5 of our 7 TiVo units and an Actiontec bridge to connect to my Asus router. I could put a MOCA 2.5 bridge in place of the 1.1 model and I'll still only get 1.1 speeds.

Should have added "in the session" to make it clearer.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  10. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    This is useful if you want to network PCs at gig speed. Another interesting piece of tech that may be used by telcos to get broadband into MDUs is MoCA Access.

11. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
  12. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    fyodor likes this.
  13. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I did this when Moca 2.0 Bonded adapters came out.

However, I disabled all the 1.1 and 2.0 Moca base connections in my TiVo Bolts and replaced each of my other older 1.1 adapters with Moca 2.0 bonded ...so now I am solely using Motorola Moca 2.0 bonded adapters for all Moca communication:

One 2.0 bonded adapter for the router and one each for my entertainment areas with TV/TiVo’s Bolts/Minis along with my Apple TVs (using a 5 port GBps switch at each so multiple video devices get more dedicated wired style connections vs wireless).

At this point the speeds I am getting on the Moca 2.0 bonded network are about 800Mpbs in the house. Not sure I am inclined to do this all over again and replace all my Moca infrastructure with 2.5....unless additional use cases arise for it.

I get 400 mbps service from Comcast/xfinity but the robust Moca instructure allows me to Easily handle both video at the “wired” entertainment centers and allowing more of my my wireless network to be solely used by portable devices (laptops, tablets, phones) and wireless IOT devices for home security and automation etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krkaufman likes this.
  14. plee82

plee82 New Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Yes, I am trying to justify buying 4 of these 2.5 moca adapters lol. I have 4 Moto bonded adapters as well. One at my router and 3 in different rooms all connected to 5 port gig switches. I only pay for 100 mbps symmetrical from Verizon FIOS. I used to be at a higher tier but once I checked my bandwidth usage, my house (family of 4) was maxing at 60 mbps , so I downgraded.

By the way, I checked the spec sheet, the Moca Soc is MaxLinear MxL3710. Looks like the MxL3710 is the only certified MOCA 2.5 product from mocalliance.org. I wonder if the "Vendor Only" Moca 2.5 Actiontecs are using the same SOC.

15. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    By the way, I checked the spec sheet, the Moca Soc is MaxLinear MxL3710. Looks like the MxL3710 is the only certified MOCA 2.5 product from mocalliance.org. I wonder if the "Vendor Only" Moca 2.5 Actiontecs are using the same SOC.[/QUOTE]

Good question. Regardless once you get them and work them hard the first week or two and let us know what you get for actual performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. plee82

plee82 New Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Wow, 2.5 also has an enhanced mode like the 2.0 bonded mocas. The enhanced mode on the 2.5 is 3Gbps.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Diminished by the adapters only having a single GigE port.

18. plee82

plee82 New Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Yup, but at least 2.5 is out finally. Hopefully this pushes Actiontec and Motorola to release their 2.5 adapters as well.

d_anders likes this.
  19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If you have a bunch of them, that could potentially be useful if you're downloading at 500mbps from your router to one machine, and another machine is moving files to/from a NAS, or something like that. So it really depends on your setup.

EDIT: Also having more headroom is always a good thing in case they don't perform at their full theoretical maximum speed.

tim1724 likes this.
  20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm not sure this would really benefit a TiVo, or any device currently on the market really. The big benefit of this appears to be that it runs at speeds faster then even gigabit Ethernet. But if the device connected to the bridge is only capable of gigabit then it's never going to go faster then that anyway. I guess it might help if you're attempting to run multiple gigabit devices at full speed simultaneously, but that’s gotta be pretty rare. With TiVo it's impossible. Your average cable stream is only 10-15mbps, meaning you'd have to be streaming about 80 shows simultaneously to hit the gigabit limit. Since you can only have 12 devices on your TiVo account that's not possible. Even if you were transferring at the same time I don’t think you'd come anywhere near the gigabit limit, let alone the MoCa 2.5 limit.