Mobile devices and TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by webzonline, Aug 29, 2007.

What mobile device do you use for your TTG?i

Poll closed Sep 12, 2007.
  1. iPod

32.0%
  2. Zune

2.0%
  3. Creative Labs Zen

6.0%
  4. Other

28.0%
  5. I don't use a mobile device

36.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. webzonline

webzonline New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I have TTG 2.4 and 2.5 along with Roxio Media Center 9, so that I burn TiVo programs to DVD, no problems there.

What I am wondering is who out there is taking their TiVo programs on some sort of mobile player? I have tried 2 so far, the BestBuy proprietary unit (Insignia and complete junk) and most recently the SanDisk Sansa e280 (8GB) unit. while the Sansa itself is not a bad unit, the issue that I am having with it is that some of the TiVo programs (after they have been converted to WMV format with RMC 9) don't convert to the Sansa format, or they are chopped and in some cases the audio doesn't line back up with the video after fast forwarding through the commercials.

Now, perhaps I am asking too much from these types of units, but I am not sure. One issue may be that the Sansa and the BestBuy units were flash memory and that may be the source of the synch issues. In addition, the audio may just need to "catch up" to the video.

I am looking for a new starting place to evaluate units and hour long (or longer) programming (with or without commercials) is the key use of this unit for my wife and I. Music and pictures will be secondary

Any help will be appreciated.

V/R

Rob

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I think you just started with hard to use video players. The sansa uses some proprietary format and the converter is a piece of junk. Great MP3 player and works easily with subscription music sites like Rhapsody but otherwise ...

I use my smartphone and pocketdivxencoder for right now to take any of the formats Desktp plus makes and turn them to AVI - then I play them on the phone using TCMP freeware. There is a "core player" purchase version of that freeware I need to find some time to check out as it might eliminate the pocketdivxencoider step for me.

anyway try one of the players TiVo lists, and is in your poll, you will find them all much better

3. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I use TTG a great deal to get programs onto my iPod. Programs transfer automatically to the PC and convert to the right format. I just need to add them to iTunes and sync. The process is really really simple with no picture problems at all. This is all "out of the box" with no extra software or conversion steps necessary.

4. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    I use a portable dvd player with a SD slot.
    btw, most will now play most any flavor of mpeg, dvix, xvid, mp4....

Tivo to VideoReDo to edited mpeg, fill a couple of 2gig cards and off I go!

(I'm old and need at least a 7 inch screen just to see it!)
    :D

5. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Creative Zen works well. We really just use it to take videos with us on long trips as it connects in to the video system in the mini-van.

Now if we could just get TTG on the S3 all will be good.

6. Chip Z

Chip Z New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I like to put some shows/movies on my psp before travelling. A bit time consuming but easy enough and the quality is very satisfactory.

7. stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    Archos AV500 - 4.3'' widescreen

Planning on getting the new 705 (7'' wideescreen) when prices come down

8. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Archos 504.

9. tivoman

tivoman Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Lake...
    I convert them to .3pgg format for my LG enV phone.