MLB.TV app lost rewind, fast-forward, 10s skip controls???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cogx, Jul 15, 2018.

1. cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006

Advertisements

I get the sense that few people use their TiVos for the MLB.TV app, but I guess I'll post this anyway.

As of Saturday, July 14, I found that live games now have the rewind, fast-forward, and 10-sec skip controls *REMOVED*. It's not just that the remote control buttons doesn't honor those actions (like the 2018 version of the PS4 MLB.TV app, even though a remote control worked in 2016 and 2017), but they are *GONE* from the screen, besides no longer working with the remote control.

My Bolt currently has MLB.TV version 8.4.0, config 1.0.27.

If somehow this is just happening to me, on my Bolt, please let me know (and what version/config your model has on the bottom, right corner of the settings screen).

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    First step of TiVo issue resolution is a reboot. Have you done that already?

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I just tried a fake from yesterday on my Bolt. FF and REW worked fine from screen and remote. Skips worked only from screen not from any buttons.

Was the game live or archived?

4. cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Yep, naturally.

5. cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006

Advertisements

Live game. Oddly, the controls still show up on the news snippets next to a game, so I'm really thinking that this change was on purpose. What version and config shows up for you on the MLB.TV app (bottom, right corner of the settings screen)?

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    version 8.40 config 1.027

I was asking about live because I’m not sure it ever supported trick play live.

7. cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I've watched around 90 games so far in 2018 on MLB.TV, with probably 70 of those on my TiVo Bolt (the first 20 or so on the PS4, until the video frame drops became unbearable on that device, in 2018, despite being a fantastic app in 2016 and 2017), including a game on Friday, July 13, and I was able to rewind/fast-forward and do the 10 second skip backwards or forward (by pressing the d-pad on the remote control left or right) as I had been all year to that point. However, much to my dismay, on Saturday July 14, those controls disappeared from the screen pop-up menu and thus also from mapping those actions to remote control buttons as they had been.

I opened yet another ticket with MLB.TV support, but they decided to ignore this one (past complaints about how awful the streaming quality was around Memorial Day this year were useless, but at least their automated system responded to those).

So, yeah, I'm not blaming TiVo, as there is a thread on downdetector.com that basically shows the 2018 version of the MLB.TV apps on most devices have been horrible this year. But, oddly enough, other than problems the 10 or so days leading up to Memorial Day and about a week after that, I had been having pretty good luck with the TiVo version this year. Until Saturday July 14, where they ruined it. I mean, I guess, one can at least skip between innings, they haven't ruined that yet, but I'll probably have to go back to trying the awful 2018 version of the PS4 app to at least have the on-screen rewind/ffw/skip controls and hope I can stomach the frequent video frame drops.

Just bizarre, though, how they had programmers build an app that was just fine in 2016 and 2017, at least on the PS4, then screw that up in 2018 by taking away remote control functionality and goofing up the most basic aspect of streaming video - dropping video frames every 10 or 20 seconds, but then somehow the TiVo version in 2018 was still decent enough... only to have been ruined for the home stretch of the baseball season. I swear, there is nothing left on this planet that people can count on day in and day out. Humanity is a lost cause.

8. humbb

humbb Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I feel your pain. Question: so along with the negative takeaway in the July 14 app change, did they possibly fix the ongoing live game issue I describe here?

9. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    For about a week now, the mlb tv app on 1 of my minis has said "the mlb.tv app is currently unavailable. 1003"

10. cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I haven't had time to watch any games since the All-Star break, but I guess I'll find out Monday night if this stupidity continues.
    I suppose one reason they could have to take away the navigation of live games is that they know their streaming service is so far below sub-par in 2018 and that's their way of trying to workaround it? It's just bizarre when something works so well for years and then all of sudden they go like 20 steps backwards.