MLB spring training games blacked out now on DTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by xtra, Mar 2, 2006.

1. xtra

xtra New Member

Jul 27, 2004

Advertisements

I know this not a TIVO issue but I don't know where else to ask.

In previous years we in Ohio could get all the regional sports networks broadcasts of spring training games from Florida and Arizona. Today the first half of YES networks broadcast of the Yankees Phillies game was blacked out and all of the White Sox/ Rockies game on FSRM was blacked out. It also looks like tonights twins/redsox game is blacked out.

I can't get an answer to my question from DTV because the two times I called today I got ethnic women CSR's who barely know what baseball is so I am asking here in the hope that someone will know...

...is MLB blacking out spring training games out of area on DTV this year?

One DTV CSR said the White Sox/Rockies game would be on at 4pm instead of three. It wasn't. The other said some of the MLB spring training games would be broadcast but she could not say which ones. She claimed the MLB did not change it's blackout policy since last year. I don't think either one of them knew what they were talking about.

2. The_Geyser

The_Geyser New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    I could not get a good answer today either. I called this afternoon about the Yankee game, and was read the blackout policy and was told DTV had no control over it. I've watched these games for years with the Sports Pak.

3. ParanoidDarkJedi

ParanoidDarkJedi *Insert Witty Title*

Sep 3, 2005
    Chester, VA
    Noticed the same thing earlier...the Yankee game was blacked out when I first tuned in, but about 45 min later, around the 3rd inning, it was on...strange.

Getting to watch the preseason baseball games is about the only reason for me to keep the sports pak/TC Platinum level (fee free DVR service helps), I don't watch anything else on those channels, and the regular season games I have to have the MLB package for.

I have an installation for the DVR4ME box tomorrow...when activating it, I'll prod for an answer.

4. xtra

xtra New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Either the CSR's really don't know or aren't supposed to say. I suspect the former. Is there a way to get to someone at DTV who would know? Anyone have questions that a CSR couldn't answer and get through to a supervisor or someone like that?

The Yankees/Phillies game was blacked out here today.

The next scheduled game is the Pirates/Red Sox on NESN tomorrow at 1pm. If it is blacked out too I am going to be a pest and see if I can't get an answer from DTV. Someone there has to know.

I too only get the Sports Pack for the baseball. No baseball means no Sports Pack for me.

5. lutton

lutton New Member

Mar 10, 2004

Advertisements

MLB has an 'unfavorable' (to be kind) reputation for just being about as difficult as possible regarding blackouts, satellite broadcast and their Extra Innings package. The other major leagues and their broadcasts packages do a much better job of making games available.

6. xtra

xtra New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Probably so.

The Red Sox/Pirates game is not blacked out on NESN today, so I don't know what to think.