MLB One Pass Scheduling Logic

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Steve, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...

Advertisements

Not sure if this is happening in all markets, but here in NY, when a Yankee game is broadcast simultaneously on MLB, TBS or ESPN, along with YES, my local regional sports network, the MLB one-pass insists on scheduling the national airing, instead of the YES network airing. Nine times out of ten, that game is blacked-ou in my market and I wind up recording 3-4 hours of empty screen.

The channels on my cable system (Optimum) are numbered as follows:

715 YESHD
    736 ESPN
    739 TNT
    790 MLB

Note that YESHD is the lowest numbered channel. Is that the case for other cable systems? If so, scheduling the lowest numbered channel would guarantee the RSN is the MLB OnePass selection that gets recorded.

If not, would be nice if RSNs in each market could be flagged somehow, so that the MLB One-Pass logic knows to choose it.

As you can see below, the 7/26 game was scheduled to record on 739 (TNT), instead of 715 (YES). TNT was blacked-out in my market.

IMG-0650

Is the RSN in your area numbered lower than ESPN, TNT and MLB? Thanks in advance for comments.

2. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I've had that problem. I appear to getting around it just fine this year with this strategy:

1. create a one-pass for your favorite team.
    2. create a wishlist with lower priority that excludes your favorite team (and any other team you want to exclude - the list can get rather long if you don't want a bunch of games in your to-do list that don't involve your favorite team). The season pass appears to be picking up my teams games on the regional sports net while the wishlist excludes the simulcasts on MLB Network and other channels. When the game isn't on the regional sports net the one pass (set to ALL channels) still picks up my team's game because it's a higher priority than the wishlist that excludes it. YMMV. If it still doesn't work for you I'd change the OnePass channels from ALL to YES, and just be aware of the ESPN exclusive Sunday Night games and if there are any FOX exclusives.

By the way, my regional sports net is the highest channel number on the list and not the lowest like yours, and I'd still have the same problem as you without the above strategy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Steve likes this.
  3. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

One of the problems I have is the MLB Yankees OnePass doesn't allow me to limit channels. It's hard-wired to "ALL".

What would help is if I could create a Wishlist search with the keyword "Yankees", plus the keyword for "live" or "first run", and plus the keyword "YESHD" (or Channel 715). If I made it a higher priority than the Yankees MLB OnePass, whenever a game is on YESHD (715), it would record on 715, even if it was also available on another channel. And if the game was on FOX or ESPN only, the lower priority MLB OnePass would catch it.

Problem is I don't seem to be able to find a way to search for "live", "First run" or the channel name or number in the WishList.

4. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    So I assume that means what's working for me isn't working for you, with your talk of alternatives. I have faith there's some way to do it so it works, but it may take some trial and error.

If your program data is anything like mine all games regardless of channel start with MLB BASEBALL. If you create a One Pass for MLB BASEBALL instead of YANKEES then you should be able to limit the channel to YESHD and Record to NEW ONLY. I'd try making that the highest priority before anything else, but that still wouldn't pick up exclusives on ESPN and FOX. Then maybe mess around with wishlists of lower priority to attempt picking up ESPN and FOX games without interfering with the YESHD games.

5. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...

Advertisements

Forgot to mention I did try creating an "MLB" OnePass for YESHD, "New games only". Somehow it thinks that only "Yankees Classics" games should be recorded. Doesn't even try to schedule any live 2020 games. Sigh.

6. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Try a Wishlist of either higher or lower priority to that One Pass for keyword "MLB Baseball", title keyword "Yankees", and also in that title keyword exclude -"Classic". That's where I also exclude a bunch of other teams and if the wishlist is of lower priority excluding Yankees instead of including it also might work. But it sounds like a mess.

Steve likes this.
  7. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    Thanks. I just set up your suggested search.

Only tonight's and tomorrow's Yanks games are in the guide data right now. Tonite on Fox, tomorrow nite on ESPN. Both of those were correctly scheduled. Since neither one of these is being simultaneously aired on YESHD, I don't yet know how this Wish List will perform. Will have to wait and see.

I've got two Bolts, so I'll use this search on one and my "Yankees, MLB" OnePass on the other.

Edited to add:

Noticed the Mets have two games upcoming that air both nationally and on their RSN, SNY (718), so I tried setting up the above Wishlist search. -Classic gets rid of the classic games, but as far as new games go, it's failing the same as my "Yankees, MLB" OnePass. It's ignoring the live broadcasts on SNY (718) and instead scheduling the TBS (739) and FS1 (769) broadcasts of those same games. :(

If only there was a way to include a network or channel number as a keyword.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    Yesterdays influx of new Guide game data allowed me to create an “MLB” OnePass for YESNY! I made it number one priority. At number two is my existing “Yankees” OnePass, hardwired to “all” channels. Both are set to “new only.”

So, in theory, if a new Yankees game appears on YES, that’s the one that should record, even if it’s also being simulcast on a blacked-out “national” channel. :praying:

There are no upcoming situations like this in the current Guide data, so time will tell if this works.

9. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    New Guide data finally shows an 8/18 7PM Tampa@Yankees game that is scheduled to air both on ESPN (736) and YESHD (715). I'm happy to report the suggested work-around solved my problem. The higher priority "MLB/YESHD" OnePass scheduled the YESHD airing before the "MLB/Yankees" OnePass could get it on ESPN!

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction!

Attached Files: