MLB EI or NHL package from Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Salty Gator, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Salty Gator

Salty Gator New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I have 2 Tivo HD DVRs with Comcast installed cable cards and had no problem ordering Comcast's MLB package for the past 2 years. This year, I am being told by Comcast CS and tech support that I can't get it without a set top box.

I found some old threads that address this but does anyone have any recent experience trying to get these packages?

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I just finished the NHL season of NHL CI from comcast without a comcast box (only my tivos) with absolutely no problems. Can't speak for MLB as I have no interest.

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    When RCN did the free preview of NBA League pass at the beginning of the season I was able to tune it with my Tivos

I think the problem is that the CSR's are told "Cable Cards can't get On Demand programming" and they ASSume that also means no pay-per-view and nothing like NBALP NHLCI and the like. The catch is the sports packages use the same technology as premium channels like HBO, all you are doing is authorizing a set of channels for a period of time, which doesn't require the 2-way communication that true "On Demand" programming does.

4. Salty Gator

Salty Gator New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    That makes perfect sense. I am still hoping to find someone at Comcast who understands this. No luck so far.

5. Hystyk28

Hystyk28 Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Have them rehit the cards.