Missing Home Page information on Tivo Mini connected to Bolt Vox

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mobilelawyer, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Aug 6, 2019 #1 of 25
    mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Occasional Old Timer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama

Advertisements

I installed my new Bolt Vox 500GB this weekend, without any apparent issues with the Bolt. I did have issues getting my Minis (not Mini Voxes) to work over MoCA. I had to change the MoCA channel on the host Bolt to get the Minis to connect using the "Auto" MoCA channel setting on the Minis, but that's a separate issue. Before I finally corrected that problem to get the MoCA working, I had to temporarily connect the Minis over Ethernet to update the their software to the latest versions to handle the Hydra interface. The Bolt, of course, also updated to the latest software on installation.

Both the Minis are working well on MoCA with no sluggishness and responding snappily on Live TV and Guide and all the recorded shows on the host are shown. But the homepages are not populated with any information. I did see the dreaded blue circle, but after 72 hours, the Minis still lack the data. No My Shows or What to Watch: they all are blank in every category, while all this information is shown on the host Bolt.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

2. Aug 6, 2019 #2 of 25
    BallJack

BallJack New Member

Nov 13, 2015
  3. Aug 6, 2019 #3 of 25
    mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks. I tried the soft reset procedure suggested in that thread with one of my minis:

1. Power on Mini VOX
    2. Get no network error.
    3. power on wireless bridge
    4. Hit TiVo button after message goes away.
    5. Bottom of display is big BSC
    6. Soft reset (thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play)
    6a. See big arrow
    7. Pretty pictures on lower part of display

Unfortunately, that solution did not work for me. The author of that comment stated his Roamio was in standby during the procedure. My Bolt was powered up and operating when I tried the soft reset of the Mini. I would do a hard reset, but, given the history of how this problem has evidenced itself, I am highly skeptical it would do any good. My Mini has already gone through a couple of hard resets trying to while I was trying to resolve the MoCA issue.

4. Aug 6, 2019 #4 of 25
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    With host Roamio on-line, there was no difference in observations.

BTW, the error when there is no network is sort of funny. It says "The Predictions area can not be displayed due to no network connections. You can select My Shows while the network connection is established". Really? How does a Mini get to My Shows without a network? But I now know that lower area is called the "Predictions" area. I don't want to start a side track about "Predictions". o_O

5. Aug 8, 2019 #5 of 25
    mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama

Advertisements

I was somewhat imprecise with my area descriptions as well. I was talking about the blue spinner in The Predictions Area. I do have full access to My Shows (my recordings), but nothing populates What to Watch even though all of these are fully populated and functional on the Bolt.

Just to torture myself, I did another hard reset on one of the Minis this morning. Same result. Greeted with the blue spinning circle.

6. Aug 8, 2019 #6 of 25
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Does Search work ok?

7. Aug 8, 2019 #7 of 25
    mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    You got me with that query. I have not tried it out given the other problems. Does yours?

8. Aug 8, 2019 #8 of 25
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. I ask because items that you are having problems with are things that need pictures. TiVo used to have a picture server, run by Akamai, that supplied pictures. A network issue was normally first discovered because there were no thumbnails and Search would produce a "server" type error. Another way to put it: TiVo needs to access an external non-TiVo computer to display those thumbnails. Bottom line: there is a network problem. Since my Mini Vox uses it's own bridge to access the network, I can easily kill network access. When I return the network access, the pictures display.

9. Aug 9, 2019 #9 of 25
    mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Search works fine. I typed in several titles, the poster would come up, and I would get the thumbs for all the cast members, etc. But the predictions area and What to watch are not populated.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Maybe the next update will fix it.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If not too invested in TE4, I’d rollback to TE3.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    When the Minis were connected via Ethernet, was the thumbnail issue present?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you tried a full power reset of all your gear?

To do a full power reset, power down all your gear (modem, router, network switches, MoCA adapters, TiVo devices), and leave it all off for a minute or three; and then power the devices back on, in the order above, allowing each device to come online before proceeding to the next.

14. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Try this. Go to settings, preferences, background images and select no. go back to Tivo central and check, I bet it's back. Then go back and change it to yes.

Worked for me.

15. mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Alas, but not for me.

16. mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    I have not tried this yet. Will do so today.

17. mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    My best recollection is that they were never present. During some phase of fooling with getting MoCA connected, and the minis updated, I recall a 404 webpage not found message. But I think I have never seen anything but the blue spinner on the predictions page.

18. mobilelawyer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Such is definitely under consideration. Will this procedure work with the Bolt? The Bolt has never had anything but Hydra on it. Unlike some, I have no visceral revulsion to Hydra, but I cannot stand equipment that only partially works, and the non-working What to Watch drives me batty. Returning the Bolt is on the table as well.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003