missing guide data

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rd0125, Dec 18, 2017.

1. rd0125

rd0125 New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    I started the evening with about 10 days of missing banner and guide data for multiple channels on both a roamio pro and a 1 tb white bolt. (provider tw/spectrum) At first there was no program banner information on certain channels; picture, but no program info. A call to support resulted in a forced connect on both boxes, after which the bolt was fixed - banner program information and guide data through 12/30 on all channels that I checked, including the ones that previously had no real banner data.

The roamio is a different story. The channels have banner program information and guide data to 6:30 p.m. on 12/19, and then nothing until 7:00 p.m on 12/29, at which time the guide data restarts. (both on search and on the guide the listings go from 6:30 12/19 to 7:00 12/29 with nothing in between). Channels with this problem include (but not are limited to) the sd and hd versions of abc, nbc, fox, cbs, and some of the various npr channels.

A second call to tech support resulted in a lecture on how to set up a one-pass and a statement that the search data and the guide data were not the same (both search and guide data show the same ten day gap). I asked to speak to a supervisor, but after 15 minutes when no one came on the line, I gave up).

This all started when I was told that Jeopardy was not being recorded. I made sure the one-pass properly set up, and it was. But this evening's show was not recorded (7:30 on 5 (sd) and 1200 (hd)). That's when I noticed the missing banner data on the channels. The forced updated fixed that problem, but the roamio still is missing the guide data.

I will try a guided setup on the roamio as soon as it has finished its work for the night.

Any other suggestions?

p.s. I was told that I was setting up my one-pass entries all wrong. Instead of doing it using search information (find program, set up one pass), I should be using guide information because guide is more accurate than search. really? if that's the case do we get two separate down loads - search data and guide data? Sounds like a bunch of (*#!!) to me, but one never knows.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I was going to suggest clearing the program information (CPI&TDL) and to do list but I think repeating guided also does that. If you don’t want to redo guided setup, try CPI&TDL first.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That may be true in some cases. If the last day or two of the guide has the program you want to schedule, it may not show up in search until it's indexed. That was done after a connection, but that changed with 20.7.2 or maybe when Hydra was released. Anyhow, sometimes with Search, a program is found but if you check upcoming, the last day may indicate not available for recording. It's in the guide, but not indexed.

Example: Search for NCIS: Los Angeles. Look at Upcoming. Scroll down. On my box the last available episode is (on USA) 12/28. However there are 7 more going out to 12/31 at 6pm. Funny, 12/31 6pm is the end of my guide on TiVo Online. Coincidence? I don't know. Also, Search needs TiVo's servers. The guide does not.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. rd0125

rd0125 New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Thanks for your response and the one above.

The roamio was going to be busy until late in the evening, so I decided to try a second forced connection, and that solved the problem. Now, both guide and search identify the same schedule, at least for Jeopardy. So it took three "successful" connections in a 10 hour period to get the roamio straightened out (and two to get the bolt's act together). I was told by my first support person that they were receiving numerous similar calls and that the "engineers were working on the problem" (what ever that means).

I did look at ncis-la (we have a one pass) and as of the time of this post, upcoming shows programs through 12/31. Your post was 10 hours ago so there may have been and intervening update on my machine. I do not doubt your TiVo system knowledge, and will see if I can observe what you are saying. So now my question is this - what is required for recording? If a program is in the guide, but not indexed, will it be recorded? In my case, the Jeopardy programs were neither indexed (not shown by upcoming or found by search) or in the guide, and thus did not record. In your case, if the 7 programs remained in the guide, but never were indexed (TiVo servers down, etc) would they have been recorded? From what you are saying, I assume that it is impossible to have a program that has been indexed but is not in the guide. btw, the roamio is at 20.7.4.RC18-840-6-840

Again, appreciate both responses.

5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    With all the "stuff" going on at tivos back end, I find several forced connections will eventually resolve all these guide/search recording issues.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a bunch to chew on. First, I should have used a different program, since my 1P is set to "All Episodes" and "All" channels. But look at your To Do List to see what's going to record. Since the Rovi changeover, many users need to watch that list more than in the past. Right now my 1P manager has a lot of grayed out entries due to the holidays. If a program is in the TDL, it should record. One thing that can stop that is if the episode has data that makes it qualified to NOT be recorded. What I mean is a program has no dates, titles, episode number and a generic description TiVo will probably record it "just to be safe". Right now a 1P for Jimmy Kimmel even if set to "new only" is recording since there's nothing telling TiVo not to record it. The Late Show is not recording since it has data that TiVo reads and can tell it's a repeat.

When TiVo's servers have problems they can show up in strange ways. I usually do a quick health test by checking What To Watch Now. If I see 9 thumbnails pop up quickly, I'm happy. Search is the hard one, since I know of at least three cases where Search stopped working for weeks. but that seems to be fixed, and it was a small bunch of users.

I'm afraid there is still one issue you need to understand. A double check mark in the guide, or an entry in the TDL is not a guarantee that the program will record. Nothing is perfect. Sometimes you will have to intervene. For a 99% accurate guide, use zap2it or titantv for a second opinion. They still use Nielsen data. Rovi (TiVo) data is not so good.

7. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Can you explain what happens differently with the TiVo recordings if I lose internet access. Based on what I just read it sounds like different things happen to upcoming recordings based on how I originally set up up my recordings versus internet and non internet access. I thought it was just descriptions.

I lost my ability to search when we had power & internet outages last year and I was running on our generator for over a week. Oddly cable worked but internet was out on Fios.

My S2 and S3 was less affected than the premier, roamio or bolts.

8. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I looked at my To Do list and it has nothing scheduled for 3/21/18. Oddly I have no guide data on for shows on Wednesday, March 21 but do have some guide data for the following two days. It just shows "Upcoming: Show title" on all the networks for hours and hours.

9. Jim-Sarasota

Jim-Sarasota New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    My TiVo guide information is missing for prime time shows, 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Thursday, October 17, 2019. I live in the Sarasota, Florida area. The guide info is there for Friday the 18th and beyond. Anyone else missing guide info? Yes, I re-sync with the network and downloaded latest info.