Missing Gridlines

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SpiritualPoet, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 #1 of 15
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Twice recently the gridlines when pulling up the Guide are not in place - a very aggravating thing, to say the least because it means I can't see what the lineup is of a desired specific channel. (It shows a static image of programs but it is not capable of being navigated.) I don't know what causes the problem (does anyone?) but it eventually clears up later in the day.

Who else has experienced this? What is the probable cause? Is there a more expeditious fix rather than to wait it out when it happens?:confused::confused::confused:

I'm on cable using a HD-TiVo. I do not use VOD nor premium channels - only Extended Basic via Charter Cable firm.

2. Jun 7, 2011 #2 of 15
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Which Guide format are you using (Grid Guide or TiVo Live Guide)? Can you press Enter to get into the Guide options? Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

3. Jun 7, 2011 #3 of 15
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I can't post a screen shot but it's the guide data shown when pushing the "Guide" button in the TiVo remote.

4. Jun 7, 2011 #4 of 15
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    So I'm not clear on what's happening then. Do you maybe have a Filter turned on? Once the Guide is up, press Enter to get into the Options and see if maybe you changed anything in there.

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 15
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    All horizontal and vertical separation lines were missing (i.e. the Gridlines) therefore I could not click on or navigate between the columns / rows of guide data (program listings if you will) on any specific channel. In essence there was no visible chart there.

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 15
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I would think a reboot (pull the plug) should fix it, have you tried that?

Sounds like you are using the grid guide. Try switching to the Tivo Live Guide and see if you can navigate successfully. Then switch back to the grid guide to see what happens.

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 15
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Did you try pressing Enter to get into Options like I've suggested?

8. Jun 9, 2011 #8 of 15
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I had tried the enter button but that didn't resolve anything. I don't know how to do what the other person posted. (switching between live guide and grid guide).

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 15
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  10. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    It sounds to me like its more of a software graphical glitch. Probably wont get resolved without a reset of the hardware.

11. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I have been using the Live version but today it looks different as if it has been revamped. White lines encompass the tuned channel and clearly appear. I think TiVo Inc. has upgraded the image for navigation. In any case, I haven't had a problem in the last 2-3 days.

12. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Well no sooner did I post that reply and it's happened again!!! I rebooted my TiVo machine and the problem cleared. I just can't figure out what's going on. In addition to the gridlines disappearing, so do the thumbs up/thumbs down symbols of programs I've rated. After the reboot, both gridlines and thumbs symbols appeared. Doesn't anyone know what's the cause? Hasn't anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I still don't really understand the problem, a screenshot would really help. You never did say what happens when you press Enter on the Guide screen to get into the Options, either.

14. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    I have no camera means to post a screen shot. Pressing the enter button does what it is supposed to do: switch from Live to Grid. However, I haven't thought to press the button when the problem is occurring. Next time it does, I will press the enter button to see what if anything happens.

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You don't have a digital camera (cell phone camera, etc.) you can use to take a picture of your TV? I'm just curious to see what is going on since I've never heard of this before.

So yeah, I'd be interesting in seeing if you can get into the Options when this happens and if switching Guide types back and forth resolves it.