Missing External Storage

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Sturmie, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007

Advertisements

i have a 500gb WD drive in an "approved" Azio enclosure that has been working for ~1 year now and all of a sudden, my S3 won't recognize the external storage. i hooked up the enclosure to my PC via eSATA and it seems to see it fine...i could initialize the drive in Windows and/or format it, but i didn't. i swapped out the eSATA cable as well and nada...the S3 still doesn't see it.

any ideas?

2. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007
    anyone? if the drive is recognized by Windows, would it be the eSATA port on the Tivo that's the problem then?

3. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    You may have to re-marry it.

4. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007
    thanks...that's what i was afraid of.

oh well, i'll give it a shot and post my results back here when i'm done.

5. Slime

Slime New Member

Apr 6, 2003

Advertisements

Good luck - I had a similar problem, however Windows wouldnt reliably recognize the drive (I rebooted Windows a few times to make sure it connected each time).

I ended up going with an internal upgrade and the WD My DVR Expander is now in bits on my table... :(

6. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007
    well, i tried to proceed with the Tivo startup without the storage and then went into re-marry...it says that it doesn't recognize any external storage device :(.

i hooked it back up to the PC and the WD Diag error checking got stuck on a certain sector, so i am now in the middle of writing zeros to the entire drive.

7. oViTynoT

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Of course it will. It will ALWAYS say that unless you're using the vaunted "My DVR Expander" from WD.

8. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007
    i thought the S3's weren't picky about the storage...do i have to use the kickstart method like i had to when i first set up the external drive on this S3?

9. oViTynoT

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    They'll complain, but allow you to "mount" the storage anyway....

The kickstart method is a thing of the past. It's now fully integrated into the software.

10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I've had this happen after a power outage.

Try a hard reboot, that is unplug TiVo, allow the drive to stop; then plug it back in. That has fixed this problem for me 2 times after power outage.

11. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007
    well, after hours of writing zeros to the drive, everything completed successfully, however, when i ran the quick test on the drive, it failed...i can only assume that the drive is bad :(.

12. benh57

benh57 New Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Westchester, CA
    It was likely just the cable not plugged in right or units out of sync. I sometimes have to plug, replug, turn on, off the tivo and DVR expander several times in various sequences after a power outage or fluctuation for it to be recognized. 90% likelihood of that over a hardware failure.

13. Sturmie

Sturmie Commander Cool

Jun 11, 2007
    well, got the replacement drive from WD today and everything seems to be working fine now...guess it was a hard drive failure.

14. cdoug512

cdoug512 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I awoke to the "external storage missing" message on my TivoHD this morning. Finally works again after removing the Antec external storage case and vacuuming out all the little dust bunnies. I assume it was overheating and thus failing.