Missing Cox Contour HD channels - Resolved!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bsbd, Mar 10, 2015.

1. bsbd

bsbd New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Virginia...

Advertisements

I'll post this to hopefully help anyone else who encounters the dreaded missing Contour HD channels issue (the old Plus Pak) on a Cox Motorola system. I see it has come up a couple of times before without a clear resolution and with MoCA issues mixed in to confuse the issue. For simplicity I decided to get my new Roamio Pro working by itself first before dealing with any MoCA setup at all.

After doing the initial Roamio setup and pairing the CableCard (painless), I verified that I was receiving all the same non-Contour HD channels I had gotten previously on my old DCX3400 DVR from Cox. So far, so good.

Next I followed the Tivo website's instructions for connecting the Moto Tuning adapter, which turned out to be my fatal mistake. Those instructions say to remove the coax cable from the Roamio input and move it over to the TA input, then connect the TA coax output back to the Roamio input. After doing that I still had the channels I had before, but no additional Contour HD channels showed up like I was expecting.

Spent lots of time on the phone with a Cox support person who unfortunately was clueless about the fact that anyone with a CableCard/TA/H.264 receiver combo shouldn't need a Contour box or Contour service for those channels. I eventually gave up on that effort and hung up.

As a new Tivo user, it took me a while to find the diagnostics and get comfortable with the multiple tuners report format. I eventually discovered that all the "problem" channels were above 900MHz and those signal levels were very rolled-off compared to all other channels which were below 750MHz.

I tried swapping-in a 2GHz splitter in place of a 1GHz one upstream just to be sure the splitter wasn't running out of gas, but it didn't improve things at all. I was stumped.

Then two things occurred to me at about the same time... 1) that I would eventually need to bypass the TA with another splitter anyhow to have the MoCA bridge in the Roamio, and 2) I remembered the Cox self-install instructions for the TA did NOT have the coax path passing through the TA.

So, I put in the splitter before the TA and presto change-o, the Contour HD channels popped right in. Turns out the TA was attenuating the signal overall and also rolling off those 900MHz+ frequecies relative to the others.

Lesson learned, I could have saved a lot of time if I had followed the Cox self-install instructions for the tuning adpapter rather than the instructions on Tivo's website.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It is generally considered better to split the co-ax feed and send one leg to the TiVo and the other to the TA and not use the co-ax output of the TA.

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I thought Cox sent the TA with a splitter and POE filter.

What is this "co-ax" spelling? I've never seen that before.

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you pick the TA up at the Cox Store they generally do give you the Self Install Kit: including 2 short Coax cables, POE Filter and 2-way splitter w/ instruction sheet.

The Cisco Tuning Adapter does not block the >900MHz H.264 HD channels.
    (Cox Arizona no longer uses the >900MHz range for TV)

I do not use MoCA, so I do use the RF Pass-thru on all 3 of my Cisco TAs without any issues.

5. bsbd

bsbd New Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Virginia...

Advertisements

I agree, but the fact is that Tivo's on-line help encourages you to pass through the TA. I knew I would eventually need to employ a splitter when I set up a MoCA network, but first I just wanted to get the Roamio working as a direct replacement for the DCX3400 with existing wiring before inserting a -3.5dB splitter and MoCA traffic.

I did get an instruction sheet with the Cox self-install kit, but it was a toss of a coin whether to follow them or the Tivo on-line instructions. The point of my original post was was that the Tivo on-line instructions will lead people astray, especially with a Motorola MTR700.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Many words which come into being when someone attaches a prefix to an existing word start off hyphenated, and gradually the hyphen gets omitted more and more often.

Co-axial is one of those words.

If you listen to Cronkite talking about the first coast to coast TV network hookup, you can almost hear him pronounce the hyphen.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Okay.

Sixty years ago they spelled "today" as "to-day." But it's 2015, not 1955. :D

I can't find the word "coaxial" spelled as "co-axial" anywhere after the 60's.

8. herbma

herbma New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    We've been experiencing a lot of tuning adapter issues here in Mesa, AZ lately and the COX tech that came to the house found all to be AOK at the time he was here. Our TIVO series 3 HD is about 8 years old. The TA light was flashing green twice on Sunday and the TIVO froze once and rebooted on its own once. So if If upgrade to Roamio Plus will a lot of the TA issues go away? The COX rep said that the TA's were being phased out/eliminated and COX was going to be all digital soon?

9. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    tuning adapters are not being phased the tech doesn't know what he is saying