Missed Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aadam101, Dec 19, 2011.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have a season pass set to record The Doctors. Friday's episode didn't record. The To Do List said it was "no longer in the guide data" or something like that. I manually looked back at Friday's guide data and the episode is there and it's listed as new. I don't see any reason Tivo should have skipped this recording.

I'm really bummed. It was the end of Jillian's Wake Up Call.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    See if more than one station in your area carries it. Maybe a day behind the other.

Until the fall season syndicated show shuffle, my mom's S2 DT was set to record The Doctors off of 2 different channels and Dr. Oz off of 2 different channels "just in case".

Also I'll see if I can pull the show off of her machine or the HD (sorry, analog cable SD res only) I'm test driving, and figure out a way to make you a dvd or something.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It only airs on one channel here. Don't worry about the DVD. I am sure they will re-air it. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-air the whole Wake Up Call series during reruns.

It just frustrates me that Tivo screwed up. On the rare occasion that Tivo screws up, I can usually just get it off BT. This show can't be found anywhere on BT and they want $30 for a DVD of the show. Crazy.....

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is not an excuse, but the guide data may have changed from the ORIGINAL guide data it had. And by "listed as new", do you mean the original air date is within 28 days of that day? THAT is how a Tivo records "new only", not by any text in the Description.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It didn't have an "r" listed in the program data so it definitely didn't think it was a rerun. The episode title was definitely unique so I know the 28 day rule didn't apply. It was titled something like "Wake Up Call With Jillian Part 5".

6. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

TIVOS DO NOT USE (R) IN THE DESCRIPTION. NEVER EVER EVER.

Only the ORIGINAL AIR DATE.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Exactly how are you defining "description"? 'cause my TiVos use (R) all the time.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Same here. Every episode that Tivo recognizes as a rerun always has an "r". It causes me to fix my season passes which I sometimes don't setup correctly.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've noticed that newspapers that use TMS for the listings they publish will have an "N" for, I assume, new, and they don't use the R, whereas TiVo uses the R but I've never seen it use the N.

This is all going on, both TiVo and newspapers, inside the parenthesees where they also put CC, Stereo, and stuff like that.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I think he was saying that the TiVo does not make use of the "R" in the guide data when deciding if it is a "new episode" in the recording scheduling logic.

Note- I am not agreeing or disagreeing with him, because I really don't know.

11. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Also, while I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure I do not see (R) in the human readable description of all shows that are considered reruns.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVo never uses the R to determine if should schedule a recording. It uses the original air date. If the oad is within 28 days and has not appeared in the todo list or now playing list in that time, then it will be scheduled to record. Also, if the original air date is missing, it will record it by default.

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah, I have definitely seen that happen on multiple occasions on my unit- recording something it thinks is "new", when it is not, and the description contains no date for the original airing.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I understand the 28 day rule. This wasn't the message I got. I can't recall the exact message but it said something like "the program no longer appears in the guide data."

When I manually looked at Friday's guide data the show was still there. I didn't check the OAD but it was definitely a new episode. It's too late to go back and look at it now.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just realized what the problem is. I was recording The Doctors using a Jillian Michaels Wishlist. For some reason, her name is no longer included in the guide data. All of the other hosts are. I noticed it hasn't recorded in a few weeks. I thought they we in reruns due to the holidays. Oh well. Damn it Tribune.......

16. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    She's off the show

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Wow. How the heck did I miss that information? I could tell from her podcast that she wasn't happy there....

My apologies for blaming Tribune. :p