Missed Amazon Premiere $49.99 Price!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Resist, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1 of 16
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I purchased my Premiere directly from Tivo, via their special $450 three day deal they recently had. Then today I see Amazon was selling the Premiere during a lightening deal for $49.99, add the lifetime for $499 and the price would have been the same, only I wouldn't have had to pay my state tax. Oh the pain......had I only waited a week!

Oh well, at least by purchasing directly from Tivo, I was able to add a lifetime to my older Series 3 for $99.

2. Oct 8, 2011 #2 of 16
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    $450 = $49.99 + $499?

Not sure what math that is.

3. Oct 8, 2011 #3 of 16
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Sorry, to many beers today. :)

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4 of 16
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Just think of it as a charitable contribution to your state's roads and schools. The sooner Amazon collects state tax, the better. To keep it TiVo related, I suspect all these promotions are related to sluggish sales or perhaps an upcoming hardware refresh. Although I haven't heard any whispers of such...

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5 of 16
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    It could just be time of year related. Fall TV is a huge event and this is a good time of year to push TV. This is Direct TV's highest promotion time period also

6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 16
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The Premiere spec sheets on the TiVo.com site show the Premieres as having 500GB hard drives, so that may be the refresh.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #7 of 16
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Where do you see that?

8. Oct 9, 2011 #8 of 16
    Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    My state collects enough money from our other taxes, so I have no desire in giving them even more of my hard earned funds. I'm also not a fan of giving what I worked hard and many hours for to charity. I believe in working for a living, not begging.

9. Oct 9, 2011 #9 of 16
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
  10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Since when is building roads charity??? Don't you use them???

11. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Again, they already collect other taxes for the roads.

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Asphalt cost extra and don't forget the signage, lights and transient pushing a shopping cart...

Then there's the cop making sure you obey the laws of the road and we have to get him a donut to distract him in the event we break those laws (capitalism).

Do you want grass along the side of the road, tress and other beautiful landscaping? How about a some lines for lanes and drainage for the rain?

Then we have to sweep and maintain the road. Put in some sidewalks for pedestrians and we can't forget the bike lane in case you decide to get in shape. Your kids may have to cross the road so we need crosswalks and where I live we get snow so you have to throw in the deicing stuff that ruins your car.

And what would a new road be without city cams and the red light enforcers?

Roads aren't cheap so without knowing specifically what other tax you're referring to there always budget for more...

Now if some would stop cutting taxes then the others won't have to figure out new ways to raise revenue and Internet sales would have remained tax free (unless we decide we need a new or wider road).

13. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    All those expenses are already paid for via my State and Local taxes. It's not my fault they can't manage what they already get. I have no interest in voluntarily paying them extra, especially when they waste what they get.

Just the other day my City paved a section of road, then not a month later they decided to tear out a section to replace underground lines. They really couldn't have done that prior to paving? And yes they knew about the underground work prior to the paving. Now we have a newly paved road that already has patch work done to it.

14. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

It's on the TiVo site with all the product PDFs and was changed in September. I will find a specific example and post later today when I get to my main computer.

15. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    tivos faq page states

What is the size of the hard drive for TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL and Premiere Elite?

* TiVo Premiere is 320 gigabytes
    * TiVo Premiere XL is 1 terabyte
    * TiVo Premiere Elite is 2 terabytes

16. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Ok cool. I wonder if you saw the Virgin TiVo PDF since they offer a 500gb model. I tried the Premiere data sheet but it still shows 320gb.