Misleading prices on Amazon

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pacomartin, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Jan 4, 2015 #1 of 35
    Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

$159.99 TiVo TCD746500 Premiere DVR
    $149.99 TiVo TCD846500 Roamio HD DVR and Streaming Media Player
    $139.99 TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR, (2010 Model)

These prices are seem very deceptive. They all advertised as brand new in box.
    The first one is $10 more for less capability (no stream).
    The third one is an insignificantly lower price for a lot less capability.

If the service plans are the same on all three models, then I would be pissed if I unknowingly got 34% less storage, no streaming, a slower processor, half the number of tuners and a model which may have been manufactured 3-4 years earlier, all at a reduced price of $10.

Am I missing something? For instance can I purchase lifetime on the third one for less than $500? If lifetime was only $99, then at least it would be priced correctly. I don't know if TiVo onlydiscounts lifetime to customers who have paid for years (and not just for old equipment).

If I am not missing something, then a couple of people should post some bad reviews. I know they may be easily missed in the thousand reviews (mostly good and mostly old).

2. Jan 4, 2015 #2 of 35
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Well, the Premier does do streaming actually. Also, neither Premier is actually sold by Amazon.

3. Jan 4, 2015 #3 of 35
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you are missing something. Only the Roamio is sold by Amazon and they set the price. The first Premiere is sold by "Five Star Regional Wholesale" and they set the price. The second Premiere is sold by Weaknees, and they set the price of that. So three different sellers.

When buying on Amazon you have to be careful to check who the seller is and also be aware that pricing can vary among sellers. It's also common for products to be sold on Amazon for more than "retail" so you do need to be aware.

Your issue is with the sellers, not the products. Don't write a product review to complain about a seller. And don't read product reviews looking for seller opinions - each seller has their own set of reviews.

4. Jan 4, 2015 #4 of 35
    Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Premier's don't stream the recorded content on the DVR without an additional TiVo STREAM box. I did say prices on Amazon. I realize that third parties are selling old stock, but it still deceptive to the buyer.

UNLESS there is a radical difference in service fees.

5. Jan 4, 2015 #5 of 35
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

Three different Tivos at three different prices from three different sellers. Nothing misleading or deceptive about it.

6. Jan 4, 2015 #6 of 35
    LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope, nothing deceptive about any of this. It's incumbent upon the buyer to be familiar with what they're buying. It isn't the seller's responsibility to hold the buyer's hand and make sure they buy the "right" thing.

7. Jan 4, 2015 #7 of 35
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Correct -Caveat emptor.

8. Jan 4, 2015 #8 of 35
    Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    My fault for choice of words. I realize that it is not a cabal, but sellers pursuing their own interest.

I am interested in the second part of my question. If I purchase a brand new unit in the box that is a 2010 model, can I activate it for less than $500.

I get the impression that the deals offered by Corporate have as much to do with loyal payments and that policy is not written down.

9. Jan 4, 2015 #9 of 35
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You could probably use the "PLSR" code to get lifetime for $400, but you can do the exact same thing on a new Roamio.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The much cheaper option would to get secondhand with lifetime.

11. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1

12. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Neither does the Roamio basic you linked to. You need a Plus or Pro to have outbound streaming built-in.

13. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    So, how should they describe the product? If a Roku is a media streamer, how is this misleading? Is there a false claim someplace?

And, why is your solutiion to bash TiVo?

14. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't know who you are responding to, but I never suggested bashing TiVo. People give poor ratings to companies for poor service all the time. In this case I am thinking of the seller.

Paying the same or more money for a inferior older design is a service issue.

If I go to Best Buy, I expect to see the discontinued models on the discount rack.

15. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Your quote did not point to the seller, it was a general statement about bad reviews. Most reviews on Amazon are about products, not the sellers. So, your statement looks like you are asking folks to bash Tivo.

There are lots of discontinued items that do not need to be discounted. Clearly those sellers see no need as they have enough sales to justify the price.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, actually, it's not. That is assuming you meant to say charging the same or more rather than paying because the way you worded it doesn't make any sense.

Are any of the sellers in question Best Buy? No? What you expect from Best Buy is irrelevant to other sellers.

You are beginning to sound like you think you're entitled to to only be offered the lowest prices possible.

17. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    1. 34% less storage,
    2. no streaming,
    3. a slower processor,
    4. half the number of tuners and a
    5. model which may have been manufactured 3-4 years earlier

As was pointed out to me, I was confused by the term "Streaming Media Player". That unit does not stream the recorded video, but only supports streaming services.

That was the almost annoying item on the list above as the stand alone Stream is $130.

The other items are a lot to give up for a mere $10, but not enough that it is not an everyday risk when purchasing electronics.

I will accept the consensus opinion that I shouldn't use the review section to warn people that they are overpaying.

18. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC

1. I happen to agree with you that reviewing the Premiers and noting that they are not the latest, greatest Tivos would be helpful to prospective buyers. Sorry I forgot to include that in my previous posts.

19. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Indicating something is not a deal or is a poor price in comments is a different tactic than what you previously described as a call to hands to "post some a bad reviews". Posting comparative retail pricing is fine, no bashing tivo with that.

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you don't need OTA then a Roamio Plus is probably a better option. It includes the Stream hardware, so that alone almost covers the price difference plus you get double the space and 2 more tuners.

If you need OTA then your only option is the Roamio Basic or the 2 tuner Premiere unit. The Romaio Basic has 4 tuners, and gets better OTA reception, but it's OTA or Cable it can't do both at the same time. The 2 tuner Premiere can do both simultaneously. Also only TiVos with 4 or more tuners support the Mini, so if you have plans to expand to multiple rooms then you'll need a Roamio or a 4 tuner Premiere.