MINT TiVo Premiere DVR HD <$50

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DBCooper, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2011 #1 of 31
    DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...

Advertisements

There at least 10 MINT TiVo Premieres being auctioned on eBay this week, many already having been sold a prices from $30 to $50 (plus cost of shipping from NJ and tax in NY & NJ).

What's the catch do you suppose? Are they from the batch that has a monthly fee for several years? They are marked as used, but no mention of any catches.

2. Mar 4, 2011 #2 of 31
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Probably the $0 down, $20/month units

3. Mar 4, 2011 #3 of 31
    DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I suspect it is. But I thought they went for $99. Why would anyone be re-selling more than 60 of them for well under $100? Several sold for less than $34.

Preview of *******.com/4982y7l

4. Mar 4, 2011 #4 of 31
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    $99 w/ 1 year commitment @19.99/month, or $0 w/ 2 year commitment @19.99/month

5. Mar 4, 2011 #5 of 31
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

You set up a roboscript to apply for a mess of $0 units with new accounts with bogus information. You get a piece of hardware for $0 and sell it. 3) Profit

6. Mar 4, 2011 #6 of 31
    DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    That won't fly on eBay unless you disclose the contract requirements like TiVo did in all of their ads. But I suppose they lose nothing if the winning bidder cancels after finding out the registration requirements.

7. Mar 5, 2011 #7 of 31
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The winning bidders likely will not know the higher subscription costs until they activate the tivo. There is no recourse, the units are likely not stolen and they were not advertised as usable at the lower rates. Buyer be ware.

8. Mar 5, 2011 #8 of 31
    comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    RIGHT NOW (11 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 5), Amazon is selling them as a Gold Box Lightning Deal.

$49.99 for a brand new TiVo Premiere (requires the 19.99/month).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

9. Mar 5, 2011 #9 of 31
    DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Oddly, they were advertised as "used." Experienced TiVo buyers would never buy a used TiVo without getting the serial number first and calling to see if the unit has any outstanding PPV invoices or remaining monthly obligations. The seller in this case has a very good record with eBay; they have sold 30,000+ items and make this statement:
    "We are striving for 5 Star Perfection ? anything less is considered a Failure
    to Us and to eBay and ANY NEUTRAL OR NEGATIVE comment and Any Cases Opened are very detrimental to us and to our eBay seller status! Please let us know Immediately if you feel that you cannot leave POSITIVE feedback and 5 STARS, and we will resolve any problem to earn our stars!"

My bet is that the seller knows less about TiVos than most buyers, but any fool would realize that they got the deal because it was "no money down" and there had to be a catch somewhere. They may also have assumed (wrongly) that you had to buy a subscription anyway and not known it was inflated in this case.

I said "wrongly" because there are still a few transferable lifetimes floating about out there.

10. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks. Bought my spare parts.

(Wait until the word gets out that you can buy a brand new Western Digital 320GB SATA hard drive surrounded by unneeded parts for $49.)

11. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'd take the other side of that bet. I'm always willing to bet that any item on eBay that says "Untested. I don't have time / know anything about it." means 100% for sure, guaranteed, that it doesn't work. The dumbest, thickest, seller will call up a geek friend and ask about what they have.

I get calls from my wheeling & dealing neighbor all of the time.

12. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    That's currently the price of that drive on Newegg.

13. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    They don't mention testing, they said "mint" condition. So they know it's brand new and probably are willing to replace a DOA. Their mistake was calling it "used" if it had never been registered with TiVo.

But I agree that checking with dozens of geeks on TiVoCommunity is always a good idea.

14. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis

Are referring to Seller, "auctionitnj"? I don't know what the subscription requirements for these new items are going to be, but I can report that I purchased my first 2 Tivo Premiere boxes from them last May. The boxes I purchased were "reconditioned" to like new condition since they had been activated and then returned by their original owners. I have been very happy these purchases, however I paid 4-5 times what they are selling for now...

15. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    That's the same auctioneer, but these are not marked "reconditioned." I see no way they could be any other than the TiVo freebies with a two-year commitment at $19.99. I sent them a note Friday afternoon asking for details, but probably won't hear back until Monday.

TiVos are an especially complex product to deal with in the used market because there have been so many models with different capability and contractual stipulations, but I've seen similar problems with simple things like a Panasonic cordless telephone base station thrown onto eBay never realizing that the primary hand set was married to that base station at the factory and it's useless without it. I suppose that these people are selling stuff that cost them nothing and making a profit on shipping even if it sells for a few dollars.

16. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    NewEgg isn't throwing in a free $40 TiVo remote.

17. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Interesting development. The vendor sent me a serial number of one of the Premiere boxes. I checked it with TiVo. It was indeed in use for one day and it has no contractual obligations. They approved transferring my 1999 lifetime sub to that serial number. Now all I have to do is get my hands on the right box.

It's a strange situation, but the vendor has a good reputation at eBay with thousands of past sales.

18. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Same thing happened with the second serial number. The only difference that TiVo, Inc. mentioned was that the first one had been in service only one day and the second one had never been in service.

This time I asked what the monthly and lifetime rates would be. One year @ $12.95 per month ($9.95 if it's a second TiVo on the account) and $399 for lifetime ($299 for second TiVo.)

The vendor on eBay simply told me they had bought them from a liquidator. Seems strange that they wouldn't perform due diligence and get far more for the boxes than they are presently getting.

I'll let you know in a week if anything goes wrong. I remain suspicious because if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

19. gdeep1

gdeep1 New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    i bought two of these last night and really hope i can get lifetime on both of these

20. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Be sure to take the precautions I described. They do not know the history of these boxes, other than the liquidator origin. Granted, that suggests a common history, but I found that one of them had been registered for one day. I've no idea how someone could do that for only one day, but that's what the TiVo rep said.

PS: There are still some Premieres available on the Circuit City web site for $84.