Minor annoyance: TiVo Desktop tray icon not hidable on XP

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by GregV, Jan 13, 2006.

1. GregV

GregV ..............

Dec 27, 2000
    New York

Advertisements

When using the TiVo Desktop server, I have the little TiVo icon in my system tray (next to the clock on the taskbar.) That's fine, the problem is that it doesn't have a title, i.e. you can't hover over it and see what it is. So what? Well, the problem then is that if you right click on the clock and select Customize Notifications, if you set the TiVo icon to Always Hide it will always come back when you restart your computer. The whole purpose of this feature was so that people didn't have to have six trillion little icons in their taskbar that take up space and serve no useful purpose. You can hide them if you want and use the little left arrow to get to them if you actually need to once in a while.

Ultimately it's not a critical issue, just an annoyance, but it's an annoyance that would take five minutes of coding time to fix. A polish issue, as we programmers call it.

Thus concludes my ranting for the day. I'm using TiVo Desktop 2.2 on Windows XP, if it matters.

2. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I second that. It's annoying.

3. roshne

roshne New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Mine only shows up occasionally any more on any of my computers. Don't know why, but it often isn't there, but things work just fine.

4. May 1, 2006 #4 of 17
    id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    TTT... (To The Top)

has anyone found a fix for this annoyance yet?

5. May 6, 2006 #5 of 17
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003

Advertisements

Windows XP is hiding TiVO Desktop 2.2 for me. Right click your Taskbar, select properties, make sure "Hide inactive icons" is checked, click customize to modify hide setting for TiVo Desktop. Also even though it says "no title" highlighting that selection will allow you to update the settings.

6. May 6, 2006 #6 of 17
    GoAWest

GoAWest New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I use a couple of different programs (on different PCs) to control what icons appear in the system tray (I have a lot of them...) and what order they appear in. You might look at:

PS Tray Factory
    SysTrayX

7. May 6, 2006 #7 of 17
    id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    thanks for the reply, DVDKingdom... but I don't think you seem to understand the problem.

The problem is the fact that the application has <no title>, that with each reboot, there is no placeholder left in the windows registry that tells it to hide the icon again when the computer reloads... thus, the *USELESS* system-tray TiVo icon returns back again.

It would be an absolutely brilliant idea to include an option in the TiVoDesktop application settings that will enable you to hide that system tray icon if you so choose... or at the very least, for the TiVo application programmers to put a name or tag on that icon so that we could make the "Hide inactive system tray icons" more permanent... instead of being annoyed by seeing it return again after each reboot (loosing it's previous settings).

Heck - if you want to run the TiVo desktop app, why not just select it from your START menu... and if you want to see it more often, why not make a desktop icon for it - or better yet, toss it in your Quick-Launch menu.... but please don't force me to always deal with this useless icon in my system tray - when all it really does is remind me that the System Service is running just fine (ex: Systems Services are those things that run on their own, in the background, without you ever having to deal with them - unless you choose to do so)

8. Jun 2, 2006 #8 of 17
    id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    any updates?

9. Jun 6, 2006 #9 of 17
    BJ411

BJ411 New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    has anyone tried opening your tivo desktop, click "server" at the top then "server properties" and uncheck the box to load tivo desktop when you log onto windows?

This for me isn't really an issue because i never turn my pc off (except to reboot for updates of programs when needed).. so if i happen to have it loaded, i keep it in hiding by right clicking the taskbar, properties, etc etc..

but if you uncheck the box in the server properties i think that will solve the issue for you..

then to reload it either open programs and reload it or make sure you have a shortcut to it always set in your start menu if you use it often..

10. id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    BJ411, thanks for the suggestion, but by doing that, you would disable PC-to-TiVo features such as Back-To-TiVo and "Music & Photos" features. I personally enjoy being able to listen to whatever mp3s are on my computer, in the front room's entertainment center or master-bedroom while entertaining or getting ready for work... rather than only being able to play them in the home-office/den room's computer speakers.

I switched to Galleon instead... by switching, it resolved the minor icon annoyance... and added several other cool features! http://galleon.tv/

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Seems to be fixed in TivoDesktop 2.3. :up:

12. id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Thank you for the update "greg_burns" !!! much appreciated
    It does seem as though it has been resolved in 2.3 (released earlier today)

13. dnfw_megatron

dnfw_megatron New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Looks like the id10ts broke it again in ver.2.3a
    Don't you hate amateur programmers?

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    You sure? It still has a name; "TiVo Desktop: Server On". I just set it to always hide and rebooted. It stayed hidden. :confused:

15. id242

id242 New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    greg_burns is correct. It does stay hidden for myself as well.

...UNLESS you are using Vista in which case you have to catch the icon in "TiVo Desktop: Server Off" - and only then will it stay hidden after each reboot (I never have this problem in XP-MCE)

16. dnfw_megatron

dnfw_megatron New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    I have WinXP. Version 2.3a was a fresh install. When I disable it and reboot, it still shows up in the tray except it is Xed out. I can't remove it from the tray. I will try 2.3.

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Why is it Xed out? :confused: