Minneapolis-West Metro, MN Comcast SDV status?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mobocracy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Mobocracy

Mobocracy New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Thinking about getting an HDTivo soon, but I'm worried about SDV in our area. I live in Minneapolis proper and our area (including some West Metro suburbs) was in a Crime-Warner Cable area that went Comcast as part of their corporate swap.

I'm thinking because we were TW before and are now Comcast, any implementation of SDV will be aways off while they try to get their house in order (of course, who knows, maybe SDV is part of that...).

Anyone have any inside knowledge of this?

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    If they did, they would post it in the SDV FAQ sticky thread created exactly for this purpose.

3. Mobocracy

Mobocracy New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Gee, I hope not. As web forum sticky threads exceed 5 pages, their utility approaches zero.

4. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    That's why there's a very convenient "search this thread" button at the top of every page. If you're unsure as to what it does, it actually searches the entire thread for whatever terms that you put into the text field that appears once you click it. ;)

If you're too lazy to spend 30 seconds searching, you don't deserve an answer. :rolleyes:

5. Mobocracy

Mobocracy New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Since I did spend time searching and got no hits, that's why I posted.

Why are forums full of pedantic busybodies like you who think they know what answers someone deserves? Is it a full-time job for you, or merely a hobby?

6. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    If you did the search and got no hits, then obviously nobody has the info. If you did want to ask, that thread would have been the right place to ask. The whole idea behind having a sticky thread is so that all that info can be contained in one easy to search location so that when folks like you come along, there's a one stop shop for this kind of info. Makes life easy for people that have the common courtesy to follow basic forum etiquette, and keeps the clutter down and the signal to noise ratio nice and high.

The forum has "pedantic busybodies" (I suggest consulting a dictionary before using such big words, since my comments have been neither) because the forums are also filled with folks who think that they are the most important person on the forum and can just fill the forum with inane questions that are answered elsewhere.

7. Mobocracy

Mobocracy New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    No, its not obvious; its obvious no one has posted messages matching my keywords I've searched for. Someone who hasn't posted may have the info, may know of where to find the info, or may know someone else who has it. It's certainly not obvious that nobody has the info.

No, experience suggests its where forum busybodies want you to ask, but its far from the most effective place to ask. Lots of people like myself are put off by long, rambling multi-page "sticky" threads and won't bother to read or search them. If you want answers, you have to put questions where they are easy to see, not just where busybodies want them to be.

8. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Isn't there a "sticky" in the Help forum specifically bashing this whole "read the xxxx thread to get your answer" thing?

Personally, I hate reading 5+ page threads just to see if my very specific request is in there. Not sure why its a big deal that this guy posted about a specific location. If noone responds, noone responds, and it drops off. Good lord.

9. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    to the OP, comcast hasnt announced any markets really yet besides a couple trial ones. For 300 bucks, id imagine you'll get a least a good years or 2 worth out of it and they are trying to develop a workaround for sdv.

Gohokies, get a life. I just gave him info in 30 seconds that probably would have taken him 30min or longer to look up. Do you think everyone reads forums all day like you? Not everyone has the time to search through thread after thread. Most stop by, post, then come back a day later to see if they had any responses. Quit being such an ass and just fricking answer questions that are asked. It would have been about 10 times as fast for you to just answer the OP instead of your stupid post telling him to go waste an hour of his time when you could have just answered it in the first place. I thought the mods already warned people about that kind of behavior. :rolleyes:

10. usnret

usnret New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NW Ohio
    Maybe GoHokies just had a bad day?? I agree with davecramer74. Sri Mobocracy that you got so much grief for a simple, good question.

11. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    How about you lay off the personal attacks and post that in the thread that it belongs in for the next person that comes along. The whole idea behind a sticky thread is that there isn't "thread after thread" for users to search through. But, that only works if the thread gets used and threads like this one are discouraged.

If there was a warning about this kind of response, I must have missed it (unless you're talking about the help forum, where the rules are different). There doesn't need to be a warning about posts like yours, since the personal attacks are clearly against the posting guidelines (again).

I didn't tell him to "waste and hour of his time", it takes 30 seconds to do a search, see that there isn't any info, then ask the question in the appropriate place that will be the most helpful to the folks that come behind him seeking the same information. Just like it took me the same amount of time (actually less) to tell him where the answer is found.

USNRET, No bad day and no grief. The question was a valid one, it was just in the wrong place.

With that, I'm done here. You all can hang around and keep bumping the thread up to say what an a-hole I am, but encouraging newcomers to create redundant threads makes the problem you're complaining about even worse.

12. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    GoHokies, the thread you reference is for "frequently asked questions"....

if there has been no specific question asked for the Minn. area in that thread, could it be assumed that it is NOT a frequently asked question and should have its own thread?

I noticed a seperate thread related to SDV "solutions" that is now 4 pages long. Should that have been in this sticky as well?

13. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    There doesn't need to be a thread on SDV for every city and state and cable system, that would be a maze the threads. The "Is SDV in my area?" question is frequently asked, and was what Ben and I had in mind when we put the thread together and asked Mike to sticky it.

Optimally, the SDV solution thread would have been included in there too, but since that's about a bit of breaking news and getting a lot of discussion it can certainly stand on its own.

Both of these are in my opinion only - I'm not a mod and have no real power, other than making suggestions to the mods, which they are free to take on board (and often they do) or reject (usually there is a good reason).

Thanks for the honest question and polite dialog, that's a refreshing change. :)

14. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    In fairness though I don't see the 1st post in the SDV sticky updated nearly enough with information people have posted in there requesting to be added...

16. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Good point, I haven't seen Ben around in a while. I've got an early post in that thread that I can update.

Dave, take a chill pill. Just because you don't like my posts isn't a valid reason to engage in personal attacks and name calling. The rule is "No personal attacks" not "No personal attacks (unless you feel that they are justified)". Go ahead and report me to the moderators (as I just reported you for your continued foul language and personal attacks). Until one of them asks me to change my posting style, I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing. If that offends you, put me on your ignore list or learn to deal with in a little more mature fashion.

17. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Change your posting style.
    "If you're too lazy to spend 30 seconds searching, you don't deserve an answer." is not the style we want here.