Minis won't play MPG video from TiVo Desktop transfer, but Roamio does

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dougdingle, Nov 9, 2015.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

I sent an MPG video to my Roamio using TiVo Desktop Pro, and the Roamio plays it just fine, but both my Minis instantly abort with a "Lost network connection to Roamio" error.

To be specific, the videos I normally send to the Roamio are MP4 based, and Desktop Pro does a transcode which slams my CPU to the wall for as long as it takes to transcode and transfer. So I thought I'd see if I could skip the transcode step in Desktop, and used Aiseesoft's video converter to make an MPG from the MP4.

The Desktop transferred it directly and quickly without transcoding, and the result played fine on the Roamio, but the Minis want nothing to do with it, as described above. Other videos I've done this with, but where I've allowed Desktop to do the transcoding, play just fine on the Minis.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe something is weird with the encode. I've played 1080P videos on my Minis without issue. Although they were output at 1080i.

3. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Entirely possible, of course. But it seems to me if the Roamio can play it, it should be able to be streamed to the Mini.