1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minis stuttering and freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TeamPace, Feb 10, 2018.

1. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm having issues with my sons TiVo OTA and two mini set up. Both of the Minis freeze and stutter on any HD programming. Everything is connected by Ethernet and I have tested all the cabling and it tests fine. One Mini is a 9300 RF model and the other is a Mini Vox. I've moved things around and the problems exist regardless. Everything plays fine on the TiVo OTA it's just the minis. Initially I suspected network issues but that doesn't seem to be the case. Wondering about a hardware issue.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can you report the brand & model #s for the network gear through which all the boxes connect?

First suggestion would be to look into whether your router and/or Ethernet switches support IGMP Snooping and have it enabled. (Disabling it has helped many.)

"Green" switches have been problematic for many, as well.

3. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio

4. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    On my sons system (the one I’m having problems with) the router is an apple Time Capsule 2 TB (airport extreme). Everything is plugged directly into the router (no
    switches). I actually have the same router with my setup at home. I have 5 minis connected thru a couple of switches and everything works fine.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One quick test would be to connect all your son's TiVo devices through a standalone network switch, which would be connected to the Time Capsule by a single Ethernet cable, more closely mirroring your configuration.

And, per previous suggestion, you could also check for IGMP Snooping or Multicast settings in your son's Time Capsule.

6. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I have the airport utility on my iPad but it doesn’t seem to give a lot of options for changing settings. So I’m not sure if how to check the settings you mention. Everything is set to original settings the same as my router at home though. I’m heading to the store to buy a switch and see if that helps at all. I also might buy a hard drive just in case that could be the issue.

7. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I think I've narrowed it down to one cable run not providing consistent thruput. Tried adding a switch with all the TiVos connected to it then a single connection to the router. That didn't fix things. I tried some speed tests on all the cable runs again and the one connected to the TiVo OTA was giving me widely variable tests. Almost by accident I got the minis to function and found the key was for the OTA to use wifi. I know TiVo doesn't suggest doing it that way but it's working and can support both minis at once. I'll eventually replace the questionable Ethernet cable but for now it's useable. Thanks krkaufman for your help and suggestions!

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good work. Glad you have a suspect, in mind.

edit: p.s. Re: future changes...
    ... please keep us posted if you find the change eliminates the symptoms.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  9. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Looks like you figured it out but just in case the issue comes back, check the HDMI cable.
    I'm new to Tivo, bought a Roamio Plus then added a Mini Vox. Had them connected to via Ethernet at first but was having random audio dropouts and black screen freezing on the Mini. I was convinced it was network related and changed over to MoCa. All seemed good, and I thought that fixed it but it then happened again a few days later. Don't know why but I finally changed out the HDMI cable, from the one I had been using with my old cable box to the one that came with the Mini. It's been over a week and a half with no issues.

10. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input. In my case I don't think this would be the issue. The TiVo Vox was brand new and used with the cable that came with it. Additionally the same problem was happening with both Minis and only on HD OTA programming. Netflix streams fine from the TiVo even in UHD. It seems to be working OK now with just the Roamio on wifi, so eliminating the network cable connection between the router/switch fixed the problem. I also was getting widely inconsistent speed readings when I tested that cable connected to a computer. Again thanks for your suggestion. If the problem reoccurs I'll switch around the HDMI cables to see if that could be affecting things.