mini's losing connection with Roamio... fixed after 2.5 years of frustration!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Jul 23, 2019.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Gotta say for a retired person who was in the IT field for 30 years I'm ashamed to admit how I fixed it but it's clearly made all the difference in the world.
    My two mini's would regularly lose connection with my Roamio. Rebooting them temporarily fixed the issue, until it happened again, hours or a day later. The problem surfaced probably around 2.5 years ago and progressively got worse.
    I finally upgraded my two routers in my home to better serve my 40+ network devices to Linksys WRT1900AC routers. MUCH faster CPU's then my old faithful Netgear WNDR3700's and it is night an day difference. Plus, my internet speed tests are now consistently well over 220mbs. I'm telling you, if you have lots of network devices and an older router like I did, it might make sense to consider upgrading the router to a fast one. I could slap myself for not thinking of this a long time ago. (Trees before forest thing).

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you keep posting that, perhaps more people will get a better router and forum traffic will drop 90%. :)

3. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Had a similar thing a few years ago. On top of my Roamio+ with 10 mini's I added 9 HD IP cams and an NVR. That was too much for my old Buffalo router to handle. I installed a pair of ASUS routers with AiMesh and upgraded my main switch to a 24 port Cisco gigabit. I'm now supporting 67 devices flawlessly.

4. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    I was reordering my network (Moving all the tivos into one IP range on my network, along with other items) and noticed that if the host tivo gets a new IP via DHCP it freaks the mini out and a reboot is required. I even tried disconnect/reconnect to the internet but it must cache the host IP address that does not get refreshed right away. So I can see some cheaper routers not reassigning the same IP consistently could run into this problem.

I am sure there are other network blips that could cause the dropout, but for certain the action above required me to reboot all my minis when my Roamio switched from one ip to another via a dhcp renew (Actually each roamio has 2 ips it requests, but same deal)

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Quite true. A Mini doesn't like it when its host gets a new IP address. I use reservations.

fcfc2 likes this.
  6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Some version of the TiVo software my old Premiere got in an update once constantly neglected to renew the lease when the old one expired. When I got a new router that was picky about that, the Premiere kept losing network connection, so sometimes a new router makes things worse :).

I switched it to a static IP. I suspect it has been fixed in the years since, but I still use static IPs out of habit.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The other possible "missing link" I've found is the WiFi adapter used in a TiVo device--once I added a pretty plain WiFi bridge to my Roamio box rather than using the box's internal WiFi adapter, the WiFi connection to the box increased 8 or 10-fold (speed-wise)--it was like a whole new networked machine.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, like you, I learned the hard way that quality of routers and switches makes a difference. Won't bore you with the gory details but I was using what was a rather expensive, supposedly high performance, name brand router/firewall -- when I bought it. But after some years, it just didn't have the horsepower for current throughput. Updating to an AC1750 router made a huge improvement.

9. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Me too.

Life around here improved considerably Internet access-wise when I retired my ASUS 1900 router and went with a small Ubiquity Edge router and three of their PoE saucer access points. It also allowed me to separate the three machines used for 'serious stuff' from the two dozen or so IoT and TiVo devices by setting up a vlan.

Not the easiest to set up and configure (kind of annoyingly difficult, really), but once running it's been flawless for a year now. I was immediately impressed with how much better the Ubiquity stuff worked than the consumer retail router/wi-fi device I had been using, and especially with being able to add access points pretty much at will. I have three covering a three story lath-n-plaster house plus a big back yard and garage. Handoff between units could be better (faster), but otherwise it's great.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    A few months ago I was listening to "The Tech Guy" on the radio.
    He was commenting about how routers, especially consumer grade models, wear out over time, due to heat related degradation of electrical parts.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The AC adapter for my Netgear router used by AT&T for DSL Internet service routinely dies after a couple of years. The first time this happened, I was fortunate to get a knowledgeable AT&T tech. on the phone who identified this factor for my router downage--a simple (although irritating), relatively inexpensive fix, with an AT&T store near me to buy a replacement adapter (rather than a whole new router). Subsequent times with a router issue, I've had to be the one to suggest this possibility and fix to the tech. reps.

(Unfortunately, the adapter no longer is sold in AT&T's local stores--the solution has been to purchase in the store a whole new router package; try the new adapter out; if the router now works, purchase the adapter online; and once the new adapter arrives, return the earlier-purchased full router package to the local store. All as suggested to me by AT&T's techs. ;) )