1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minis Grabbing Tuners

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fastoy, Jul 10, 2018.

1. fastoy

fastoy Member

May 4, 2011
    I have a Roamio and 3 Minis. Today each of my Minis had grabbed a tuner. I had not been using them. I am running 20.7.4.RC42-848-6-848 on the Roamio.

This has happened once before where all 3 Minis grabbed a tuner from the Roamio with no interaction from me.

Pressing the TiVo button on the Mini's remote releases the tuner as expected.

I there something being "pushed" from TiVo that wakes up the Minis and makes them request a tuner? I should have looked at the TVs attached to the Minis to see what was presented there but didn't.

Attached Files:

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If the Mini is not in Standby, the EAS test will wake them up. If all three tuners have the same Diagnostic item of Time Since OOB Tune Start, they all woke up at the same time.

I put my Mini units into Standby when not in use.

fastoy likes this.
  3. fastoy

fastoy Member

May 4, 2011
    Wow! That nails it. I had to Google EAS (Emergency Alert System) and OOB (Out-Of-Band).

Is there a secret, quick way to put a Mini into Standby without going through the menus?

I'm sooooo disappointed that TiVo's support is so ineffective. Besides the language barrier, they had no clue what I was talking about. They were simply reading from a script. I tried to escalate and only got a supervisor who had the same script.

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Join the crowd!

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's not much of a secret, but if you have a programmable remote like a Harmony, there is a IR code that initiates Standby, which can be programmed into a button on the remote. You can also use the Telnet interface to send that command.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No quick way. If your forum access method supports a signature view, there is a pointer to more abbreviations in mine. OOB is a bit in the weeds though. The tuner ownership is not a fatal issue since if a recording needs a tuner it will display a prompt on the Mini. Without a response the Mini will change channel.

My cable feed has EAS tests during the day for weekly, monthly and yearly. If the tests happen in your recording hours, using Standby on the host will protect the recording. It's not needed for most feeds.