Minis choppy Live TV and Playback

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by CFeldhacker, Jun 19, 2020.

1. CFeldhacker

CFeldhacker New Member

Jun 19, 2020
    TiVo Roamio OTA: 21.9.7.v8-846-6-846
    2x TiVo Mini VOX: 21.9.7.v8-USH-11-A95
    All 3 TiVos using WIRED ethernet connections, same subnet.
    This setup has been working fine for 2+ years.

Problem:
    Recently, when attempting to view Live TV or play recorded shows from the TiVo Mini VOX devices, the video and audio is very slow and choppy. (Plays for 1/4 second, pauses for 1/2 second, continuously.) This behavior occurs from BOTH Mini devices. Live TV and playback on the main Roamio device works just fine.

Software behavior on the Mini devices is very inconsistent and sporadic. When I go to My Shows, all recorded shows from the Roamio device are displayed as expected. Yet when I try to play a show, sometimes it will give a V117 error, or V112 error, or sometimes it will start playing the show as expected (but choppy).
    If I go down to the Devices section, it displays "Your TiVo box is not connected to the network".
    However, Internet connection status and tests work just fine, I can connect to the TiVo service and update fine. Under TiVO DVR Connection it lists the "Living Room DVR (TiVo Roamio)" as connected.

If it let Live TV go for several minutes, the white "playback marker" on the timeline falls further and further behind the green bar. The Mini's are behaving like they are constantly pausing/unpausing the playback...

Thoughts?

2. jaselzer

jaselzer Active Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Unfortunately, I don’t have any thoughts. But I just wanted to express that after about 2+ years of my mini working just fine I’ve experienced the same issues on and off. I am thinking that perhaps it has nothing to do with the mini itself, but rather some Wi-Fi interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CFeldhacker

CFeldhacker New Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I had all the TiVos running through my Asus router. To rule out the router, I connected all the devices to a Netgear unmanaged switch -- no improvement or change in behavior at all. All my devices are wired, and swapping out the network hardware produces the same result. I think there's clearly bad software involved.

TiVo support responded with a few messages that were difficult to decipher, but one message indicated something was "missing" from my box/account, which they added, and another message gave the impression a software update was pushed down to my boxes, and I just needed to power cycle everything... To no avail. Software versions haven't changed on any of the boxes, after multiple power cycles and forced connections, and the choppy behavior is exactly the same.

At this point, TiVo support has become unresponsive as well.

I'm done with companies like this. I ordered my Roamio and Minis directly from TiVo. Next week I plan to just file a suit in small claims court and just try to get my money back. Customer buys a product, company releases botched software that "bricks" the product -- you hear that happening more and more. Gotta at least try to do something about it, right?

On a related note: Now that my TiVo-centered household DVR setup is dead, I'm looking for an alternative DVR for OTA. Anybody have experience with Tablo or Fire Recast?