1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini's can't connect with Roamio... is this something I just live with?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Apr 30, 2018.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Since day 1 (Dec 2013) I've always had an issue, usually 2-4 times a week, when both of my two mini's "can't connect with Living Room..." (Roamio) (not necessarily at the same time either).
    Over the years, I've researched many "solutions" via this forum, TIVO's website, other online resources, contacted TIVO directly, used Moca off and on, switched back to ethernet, replaced one of the Mini's, had brand new coax installed... and the list goes on. Sometimes I go a couple of weeks or so without this issue but, on average, over the years, it always re-surfaces even if it stops for a few weeks.
    The temporary solution is to reboot the mini and it seems to always then be able to communicate with the Roamio (until next time).
    I'm not asking for any suggestions because I feel pretty certain that over the past 5 years I've dug deep enough to try so many things (and repeatedly) that I'm just tired of trying.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone else out there is in a similar situation and is just living with it, like I am, until the next best thing comes out.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Per your previous thread... moca errors on mini's ... you indicated years of working connectivity until mid-2017.

And I hear/understand that you're not looking for suggestions, but... seeing that your signature states "Time-Warner Cable-Austin" and "TA: Cisco STA1520," I have to ask:
    • How are the TA & Roamio each connected via coax to their wall outlet?

• And do you have a MoCA filter installed on the TA's input port (to protect the TA from MoCA signals, and MoCA from the TA)?

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I have tried it multiple ways when on moca with a splitter at the source (one to Tivo, other to TA) and I've tried a splitter at the Tivo and TA (with splitters that meet MOCA specs). Right now I've switched back on ethernet for the past 3-4 months. When using MOCA in past I had a filter at the initial input point where SPectrums' powered splitter was in the attic (so signal doesn't get out) and I've had one on the TA input. When I was using MOCA I researched and tried various connections and documented results at that time.
    Now, over the years there have been other issues as well that mostly got resolved with new cable runs, or software updates, etc., but this one issue has persisted thoughout.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A whole post of suggestions/comments you can skip, at your choosing ...

Either:
    • Many recommend using static IPs for TiVo boxes. I've been using static-leased IPs for our boxes from the beginning, so can't speak to an experience using all DHCP addresses.
    Ethernet:
    • If you're experiencing periodic disconnects, you may want to look into the IGMP Snooping (link) or "green" switch issue that some have encountered. (No clue what network gear you have ... router, switches ... so can't be more specific.)
    MoCA:
    • So, yeah, the DVR must NOT be connected via the TA's RF/STB Out pass-through port if/when the DVR is using MoCA.
    • The MoCA filter recommended for the TA's input is distinct from the MoCA filter required at the cable point-of-entry. You'd have two total MoCA filters installed, one at the PoE and one on the TA's coax input port. (link) It might even be worthwhile having a prophylactic MoCA filter on the modem's input port, as well.
    • What is the brand/model of the provider-installed amplifier? This comment... "When using MOCA in past I had a filter at the initial input point where SPectrums' powered splitter was in the attic (so signal doesn't get out)" ... indicating the amp didn't have a built-in "PoE" MoCA filter, makes me think that the amp wasn't MoCA-friendly, and could be replaced with a model that is. (similar)
    • "with splitters that meet MOCA specs" :: I prefer Holland's GHS-PRO-M series or Verizon's MoCA 2.0-rated splitters.
    • MoCA stats (TX/RX PHY rates and power estimates) reported by MoCA-connected TiVo boxes are useful for gauging the MoCA network's performance.
    • I believe TiVo introduced some MoCA hiccups in a recent update, but I believe those were ironed-out.
    ---
    p.s. Yeah, frequent flyer, it seems...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    krkaufman, appreciate the effort...
    I have used static IP's for all Tivo equipment, always have.
    I have also disabled IGMP on router, always have done that too.
    Since I'm not using MOCA I didn't answer those because I prefer use ethernet. I only used MOCA thinking it would help the problem but it made no difference.
    I even moved all of the TIVO ethernet connections directly to my router instead of using a switch.
    I also replaced ethernet cables with known (higher quality).
    If you really want to know the splitter info/POE info I can dig it up but hope to not use MOCA again.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No worries Re: MoCA; it just wasn't clear from the OP or history what the current configuration was.

I see you've replaced one of the Mini's, at some point, but has the same Roamio box always been a part of the equation?

7. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Yes, the Roamio has been a constant.

8. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I've been rock solid with ethernet since the beginning, I have one mini, 2 bolts and a roamio (previously had a premier too).

I tried using MoCA once just really to see "if it worked" and I had no issues with it either, I went back to ethernet for two reasons, 1) I'm more familiar with it 2) I already had ethernet jacks everywhere I wanted a TiVO

Granted I probably have what I'd call an "uncommon home implementation" for my network, it is more like what you'd find at a business. I have all my ethernet home run starting with an RJ-45 jack on the wall, to the basement to a patch panel, from the patch panel I connect to a 48 port switch (cisco) switch. Every run was certified to meet Cat5e performance (helps to be in the business). My CoAX, although not tested, was similarly run, with a female F connector mounted to a plate on the wall to a single splitter in the basement using RG-6, I have no unused CoAX connections on my splitter (unconnected CoAX ports/runs introduce noise)

One thing you really have to keep in mind is that the Mini requires close to 20Mb/s when streaming live TV and if you have a bad ethernet run (bad cable, port, etc) you will find it difficult to get a reliable 20Mb/s out of a gigabit port.

Many people here swear that TiVO's don't play nice with DHCP, I have also used DHCP from day 1 on all my devices, I have a 3 1/2 day lease time and also have never had an issue.

Sorry you are having issues, I truly believe there are 2 very common issues with most home environments
    1) poor cabling with both ethernet and CoAX (eg bend radius exceeded, improper cable termination etc)
    2) low quality consumer grade ethernet switches.

-TL

9. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    TimeLord, thanks for the response. While I can't claim any certification on the ethernet cabling I can say this is new cable going to 2 mini's and plus this same thing would happen on coax when I'd try MOCA for a few months. The issues aren't related to streaming, I mean they could be, but when I typically notice the problem when I'm using the Tivo menu to watch recorded tv from one of the mini's. In the case of the mini's and Roamio, I have always had them directly connected to my Netgear router to minimize potential switch issues. Odd, now that I think of it, it's been a week since I've had to reboot a mini, but next week I may have to reboot one/both 2-3 times. I wish this issue only happened on either ethernet or MOCA, one or the other, so I could just stick with one that works all the time.

10. KCAC

KCAC New Member

Sep 2, 2013

11. KCAC

KCAC New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I am a long time user and regret ever buying the Mini's. I have the big Roamio and it is great as a DVR and recording 6 games at a time but I have had issues with the Mini's since day one 3 years or more back. They are back to losing connection after working fine for months. I have 3 connected via MOCA. I tried all trouble shooting and do not want to have to configure to individual IP addresses, the whole idea is to have a simple system that is better than a cable box. Well, my wife called the cable company herself and had two cable boxes installed to replace Mini;s and I cannot blame her. I cannot believe they cannot design some type of firmware update to cure for good, the V87 error message and the constant dropping of the signal.

I have tried all of the simple fixes both on my Mini's and my DVR and I am about to call the cable company and replace my last remaining Mini or may consider going to Sat. where you have no boxes on the additional TV's.

Fed up with TiVo Mini's.

12. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    KCAC, I feel the same way. I know lots of folks have seamless/flawless use of their Roamio/Mini's but, like you, I've always had problems from the start and, like you, I've tried a multitude of solutions as I mentioned above plus more I didn't mention. I have definitely done due diligence and have spent an enormous amount of time researching, working with Tivo, re-configuring the entire setup, new cabling, etc. As I've said before, IT.SHOULD.JUST.WORK
    I, like you, am not as interested in finding a solution other than likely to switch over to something else down the road. I'm seriously considering Dish with the Hopper 3/joey combination.
    Now. As far as the Roamio is concerned, that thing has been rock solid, no problems with it at all (unless it is occasionally the reason why my mini's can't talk to it), but I doubt that since rebooting the offending mini always "fixes" the problem (until it happens again).

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn’t assume they’ve gone through all that you have.
    I'd be curious what they've actually tried, and what their coax plant connectivity looks like.

kpeters59 likes this.
  14. danxmanly

danxmanly Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Dallas
    So I too have had many issues with mini's losing connectivity to the main Roamio box. Using a MOCA network for all the mins, and when I lost tv on them, I could just back out and jump back in and it would work. I tried an ethernet setup to the box nearest the main unit with a cable running 50' across the floor... and same issue. What I found out, purely by accident when I was in the Network setting on the main tivo menu, as it showed MOCA + Ethernet, the ethernet would drop out for a second only showing MOCA, and then pop back up. With the other tv playing loudly so I could hear it in the other room, and hooked through the MOCA network, as soon as the ethernet on the main box dropped out, I could hear the sound stop, and I'd have to back out and jump back in to connect. The culprit... a bad main cable feeding up from the box in my back yard to the house. Spectrum came out and fixed that cable and all has been fine with the mini's staying connected to the main roamio.

I know you aren't using MOCA... but if you see that ethernet connection dropping off in the network settings on your main box, and the mini's quit playing immediately, you're getting some type of degradation in your network. I realize this is not a solution to your problem... but maybe will point you down a different rabbit hole to chase after. Good luck.

krkaufman likes this.
  15. KCAC

KCAC New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I now have picked up cable boxes to replace the Mini's and agree the Roamio is rock solid. Tivo should not sell an accessory that requires hours on the phone or on email or chat to support to try and make it work. IT SHOULD BE PLUG AND PLAY...THAT SIMPLE! When you read the Mini forum, it is filled with issues people are having.

My Mini's are 3 to 4 years old, and I had a heck of a time initially but after hours on the phone with support, got them running fine since. However, a couple of months ago, they all started dropping the signal,first maybe every 20 to 30 mins...now every 2 to 3 minutes. I have talked to support and followed advice on this board to no avail. I am fed up with them.

I paid a lifetime rate for the minis and basically are just going to scrap them. I would like to ask if the Mini Vox is PLUG AND PLAY?
    Or is it just more of the same with maybe voice activated with a remote. Which I could care less about.

Thanks!

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sorry for your troubles, but all 5 of my Minis were plug and play, some on ethernet, some on Moca in 2 different homes and 2 different networks and have performed flawlessly for years.

I haven't tried a Vox, but wouldn't expect any issues. I think most issues are due to router problems (IGMP, DHCP, firewall, etc.) or wiring/connector/splitter/amp/filter problems, not the Minis themselves.

17. KCAC

KCAC New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    After, initial issues, my minis worked fine for 2 or 3 years. Then 2 to 3 months ago started having staying connected issues that got worse and worse. I am using a Moca connection on the Mini's. I tried everything they said to do, which included disconnecting and rebooting the Roamio and reconnecting the mini's. Spent hours on it and have reached max frustration level. I am wondering if the recent major update by TiVo might have caused the issues with all 3 of my minis having the same issue. I have made no changes to my cable system, other than after the fact added cable boxes in place of my minis.

18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Mine are running 21.8.1 RC11. My Roamios are also running the latest Hydra. I'm having no issues. In fact, I'm watching one of my Minis from 6,000 miles away via Slingbox as we speak.

What OS are you running? Are both the Minis and the Roamio on the same version? Have you confirmed good, tight connections everywhere? Thermal changes can work screwed coax connections loose over time. What device are you using to create your Moca network?

19. abeagler

abeagler Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Re: static IP addresses, my experience has been that if I had the Mini request a specific IP address, and the router gave it that address, it wouldn't connect to the Roamio. However, if I had the router assign the Mini that same address without the Mini requesting it, then the Mini would connect. This was with an ASUS router running the merlin firmware, over a wired ethernet connection.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it drove me freakin' nuts until I figured it out.

20. Oristo

Oristo New Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Bluffton SC
    Despite our Roamio Plus seemingly OK with locally-attached TV, Minis lose connection when the Cisco tuning adapter malfunctions (which happens every month or so, requiring power off/on to recover). Cisco reboot seemingly restores full operation at the Roamio, but
    Minis may report failure to connect (despite being rebooted) until after the Roamio is also rebooted. Consequently, it appears to me that TiVo has problems with error recovery in Roamio firmware. Specifically, even if/when TA fails, Minis should still be able to access Roamio's recorded content.