Mini won't stay connected

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Pedrosha, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Pedrosha

Pedrosha New Member

Jun 23, 2017

Advertisements

We have a TiVo bolt and two minis. Just under a year old. The mini in my room has all of a sudden started having an issue. When I first turn on my tv after not having watched for several hours the mini is displaying the message to push TiVo or live tv button. Doing either does not work so I have to unplug my mini and plug it back in to reset it, which of course takes awhile to reset. Is there something that I can do to permanently fix this issue or is my mini dying? Thanks for any help or advice on this first world problem.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is the "Press TIVO or LIVE TV" prompt fixed in one location or is it slowly jumping around the screen, leaping every 3-5 seconds?

If the prompt is still moving, it seems more like a remote control issue than a connectivity problem (have you checked the remote control's batteries?); if it's locked and not moving, then it does sound like the Mini is locking-up.

Pedrosha likes this.
  3. Pedrosha

Pedrosha New Member

Jun 23, 2017
    You were exactly right!! I tried another remote and it works! Thanks so much! Hope this helps someone else having the same issue.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... the battery level can be checked for RF-connected remotes via the System Information screen.

5. Pedrosha

Pedrosha New Member

Jun 23, 2017

Advertisements

Yes, I did put fresh batteries in, that's the first thing I did when the issue started, and it still didn't work so there's something wrong with the remote itself since the other remote works. The bad remote doesnt work on the other TiVo mini we have either. The oddest thing is the bad tivo remote works for every function except waking up the mini.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Sorry to revive an old post, but while I agree that that an RF-Connected remote's battery level can be checked via the System Information screen, this does not apply to an RF connected remote battery level for a TiVo Mini. I've searched for awhile and haven't been able to find anything about checking a TiVo Mini remote battery, so I'll just change the battery if it gets old or stops controlling the Mini. Perhaps the latest generation of Mini's are different.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A93 and A95 Mini battery level is displayed in System Information. If it's showing N/A, do a quick TiVo + "D". The remote I use is the C00270.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right. I was just popping in to confirm battery level is reported in a v2/A93 Mini. I won’t be able to check my v1/A92 Mini, which has a RF remote connected using the RF USB dongle, until later.

A v1/A92 Mini sans RF USB dongle certainly couldn’t report battery levels.

JoeKustra likes this.
  9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It almost makes up for that since it doesn't have any RF interference issues. Almost. :)

Since we're off topic anyhow, my sister & BIL were here for two days. I setup a Mini in their kitchen and one in their living room. Both were A93. The kitchen one, with the RE6500, was perfect. The other, with the DAP-1650, lost connection and I had to restart the Mini. I've moved the questionable pair into my bedroom and I'll see how they work. But not bad for wireless to an adjoining house. What really sucks is the wall between the two houses isn't visible. Both sides have bookshelves with tons on junk from floor to ceiling. It's like an episode of "Hoarders".

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  10. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Hmmm, my Mini is an V1/A92, and my slide remote is using an RF dongle. I checked the System Info (even trying the TiVo +"D"), and do not see the battery level presented.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's not present on A92.