Mini won't stay connected to Roamio OTA - BAD!

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Garycal, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Garycal

Garycal New Member

Dec 28, 2005

Advertisements

Here it is April 2020 and you would think Tivo would have solved this!!! I have a Mini Vox and a Roamio OTA. It is PAINFUL to keep them connected. You get error messages telling you the Mini is not on a network WHEN IT IS and can even do a service connection! BOTH ARE ON THE SAME WIFI NETWORK AND YES I HAVE THE NEWEST WIFI ADAPTER INSTALLED IN THE MINI. I constantly have to get a new IP address and do a service connection from the Roamio and Mini and maybe after a day of trying I can get them connected. Customer service just has you do the same thing over and over and over and over again after they make you roboot your router: 1 Unplug the Mini, 2 Go to Roamio OTA unit and obtain a new IP address, 3 Do two service connections at Roamio OTA unit, 4 Plug in the Mini, 5 Get new IP address, 6 Do two service connections, 7Under Settings/remotes & Devices/Tivo DVR Connection make sure Roamio unit is checked. DO I HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY DAY??? Also, just yesterday this silly routine STOPPED working. Customer support made me do a complete factory reset of the Mini. I was able to get it connected FOR 1 DAY! This is hopeless! Why can’t these damn Tivo software people get this right!?

2. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I fixed this my using a powerline Ethernet system to connect the TiVo and the mini on the same network. You can have issues with WiFi connections.
    Never have this problem now.

Teavo likes this.
  3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You might try setting a reserved IP on your router for your Tivos, if that doesn't work you can also set you Tivos to use "static" IPS, just make sure you have both the reserved IPs and the static IP to the same IP address. Good luck

4. Garycal

Garycal New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a powerline but there is no ethernet port on the receiver...just transmits wifi

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

A Mini VOX, even in Standby mode, never turns off its wifi signal. Loss of IP address could be caused by interference, local or remote. My TV would kill my modem, so I changed the TV. The Mini VOX with wifi 5 can not use 2.4GHz or I would suggest changing bands. The previous suggestions of dropping wifi may be your easiest solution.

My Mini VOX shows a 60% signal and never disconnects.

6. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
  7. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    My mini is connected via Ethernet to one of my 3 Google WiFi pods. Works perfectly.

8. Garycal

Garycal New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Put a powerline ethernet adaper in and it works fine now.

Teavo likes this.
  9. Kmjake

Kmjake New Member

May 19, 2015
    I had mine ethernet connected and it freezes about ever 20 sec on Hulu - the mini is nearly useless. I have replaced it with amazon fire.