Mini won’t connect to MoCa network

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Beachbum55, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004

Advertisements

So my existing Mini that has been working with my Roamio on a MoCa network will not connect to my network. I power cycled everything last night, but the Mini still isn’t working.

I haven’t done a location test yet.

Is there a specific sequence to reboot my network devices? I have:

- Netgear router
    - Arris modem
    - TiVo Bridge
    - Roamio
    - TiVo mini

Maybe a conspiracy theory, but I suspect that TiVo is slowly killing off the Minis.

Thanks.

krkaufman likes this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    When trying a full power cycle, power everything down and keep it off for a few minutes, then bring them back up one-at-a-time, in the order you have them listed -- though reversing the modem and router. (Modem first.)

edit: Add'l thoughts...
    * If using a TiVo DVR as the main MoCA/Ethernet bridge, this DVR should be started before any other MoCA adapters are brought back online.
    * And don't forget to power down any network switches. They should be between the router and the main bridging MoCA adapter in the startup process.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  3. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Thanks. Finally got it going. The MoCa is so touchy.

I followed the sequence. At first it didn’t work, so I forced a restart/update on my Roamio. Then I booted the Mini back up. At first it didn’t connect, then I saw the spinning circle and the Mini connected. The Mini also updated, so I do not dare breathe near at this point.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    krkaufman likes this.
  4. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    YMMV.

I've been running my Roamio Plus connected via MoCa , which hosts a MoCa connected Mini, for 5+ years (1+ on Comcast and 4 on Verizon FiOS) without any issues.

5. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004

Advertisements

The touchiness could be related to some pretty sketchy cable routing and splits that were done when my house was built 30 years ago.

Once it’s up and running, it’s normally pretty reliablle.

krkaufman likes this.