Mini vs Bolt in Main Viewing Room

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by bradl, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bradl

bradl New Member

Apr 17, 2016

Advertisements

I bought a Bolt and Mini and while I wait for the cablecard to arrive from Frontier I've been doing what setup seems possible.

I'm crushed by how noisy the Bolt is.

What are the practical tradeoffs (if any) of putting the Bolt in the spare, rarely used guest room where the other TV is, and putting the apparently silent Mini in the family room where we watch virtually all TV?

Put another way I guess, in what way is the "mini experience" less featured than directly accessing the bolt?

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    For me the biggest issue is that I can't initiate a pytivo transfer from the mini. I use playon in conjunction with pytivo to record live internet tv streams on my tivo and I have to be at the box in order to do this.

3. bradl

bradl New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Our use case is pretty much plain vanilla: watch/record assorted channels from our fios tv package and occasionally stream a movie from Amazon/HBO Go.

We use AppleTV regularly too (and probably will more give we'll be giving up OnDemand so will need to use the various channel-specific apps) but that's presumably irrelevant since we have to change inputs to do so.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I don't have a Bolt, but I use a mini in my living room where I watch most TV and it works fine for the most part. No problems at all. If you later find some issue, it is pretty easy to switch them around.

5. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs

Advertisements

I have both a Bolt & Roamio Pro. In order to facilitate live viewing everywhere, the televisions hosting the two TiVos also have Minis. This allows me to watch live television from either TiVo everywhere. The inability to watch live television across TiVos units is my only gripe with TiVo.

6. PdX

PdX New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I bought a bolt and 2 minis. Put the bolt in my man cave where the internet access is and the minis in a our bedroom and our living room. No issue at all with the mini in the Living room.

7. bradl

bradl New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    I guess if my cablecard ever comes I'll just go ahead and try it both ways.