Mini VOX, TE3, and RF Remote fails

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by JoeKustra, Aug 12, 2018.

1. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's my hardware. Mini VOX (A95), rf remote (C00270), voice remote (C00302).

When using the Mini with a TE4 host and the voice remote, all is good.

When using the Mini with a TE4 host and the rf remote, all is good.

* When using a Mini VOX in TE3 with a VOX remote and a TE3 host will pair in non-IR mode.

When changing the Mini to TE3 the rf remote will not pair. Obviously, everything works in IR mode.

I have tried every combination of Mini and remote resets with negative results. When trying to pair, I can get the blinking amber LED, but never the final five quick blinks at the end. I have tried pairing at various stages of booting of the Mini.

Since the same remote pairs when the Mini is in TE4, it seems the hardware is present. My only theory is that with TE3 and A95, there isn't software support for RF mode. Any help? If anyone can tell me it works for them, I'll keep working. But for now I'm out of ideas.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    SalemCat, Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  2. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    I just installed a Mini Vox with TE3 yesterday. I'm having the same result. The remote initially did the flashes as if it was pairing properly in RF mode. However, it never worked so I reverted to IR mode.

Will be interesting to see what others have found.

SalemCat likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some Hydra pictures of new remote diagnostic screens:
    Mini302.JPG Mini270.JPG hostRF.JPG

Left is the Mini with voice remote. Center is the Mini with RF remote. Right is the host with RF remote. In all cases the remotes were paired and functional. Remotes were paired in BTE or RF mode. Diagnostics suck.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    SalemCat likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a TE3 Roamio host and a TE4 Roamio Host. Each has a Mini. Yesterday I changed the TE3 A93 Mini to TE4 by changing hosts. The remote did not lose its RF pairing. Today I changed the same Mini back to TE3. It did not lose its RF pairing. I really wish that worked on the A95 Mini.

SalemCat likes this.
  5. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    my t3 roamio is having trouble pairing to my slide pro rf remote today. Same thing slow Orange blinking but can't get it to complete. This Romeo I'm using has never been on the new T4 Tivo experience So I don't know what's going on

SalemCat likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I was playing with various resets when I seemed to have a pairing but even with a yellow LED nothing worked. Then I did a reset GUI command and it started working.

From TiVo Central press Thumbs down -> Thumbs up -> Play -> Play

SalemCat likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Something to add:
    A Roamio that has never had TE4 after changing the hard drive. Using a standard RF remote works fine. Spent an hour trying to pair a VOX remote in RF mode without success. Gave up. Put batteries back into the non-VOX remote and it paired in two seconds.

I have seen posts that users with a Roamio downgraded to TE3 still having an issue with the blue voice button requesting permission to upgrade to TE4. Try a new hard drive. o_O

SalemCat likes this.
  8. Oct 2, 2018 #8 of 34
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did you have a BLE/Bluetooth USB dongle installed, connected to the Roamio’s USB port?

The VOX Remote lacks “RF” (i.e. RF4CE) functionality, and so requires the BLE USB dongle for all boxes other than BOLTs and the Mini VOX.

9. Oct 2, 2018 #9 of 34
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Glass half full, then, since having the RF4CE hardware in the Mini VOX leaves open the possibility of a software fix.

Anybody know if a software bug report has been filed?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thanks for asking. My goal was to make the Mini VOX work with a regular RF remote in TE3. That failed.
    My Roamio, with the dongle, works ok with a VOX remote. But with TE3 it also works without the dongle with the same RF remote. My goal was to have a host & Mini on TE3. Maybe next year. It has dropped on my priority list. Should the next TE4 release have something really cool, I may add a cable card to my OTA and look at more upgrades.

BTW, my local cable feed is migrating to TiVo for a whole-house solution. I just checked the web site and the remote picture was a VOX remote BUT the Skip button was labeled OnDemand. Very curious. A lot could change if I get OnDemand.

Scroll down: http://www.brctv.com/sites/default/...eaveBehind_TE4_BlueRidge_18JULY2018_Final.pdf

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, I’ve seen some of your past posts Re: SE*TV going TiVo. Having access to on demand is a huge benefit, I agree, and was a big reason that, as Comcast customers, we jumped to a Roamio Pro and Minis from W7MC & X360s (and fortuitously, as it turns out).

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did you report this as a TE3 bug to TiVo?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Prompted by a recent post, I reviewed your OP and am curious whether you tested the one configuration not mentioned in the OP:

TE3 Mini Vox and VOX/BLE Remote​

???

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No problem. Tomorrow. I'm shoveling snow right now. :(

krkaufman likes this.
  15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    So here's the update: I first tried the TiVo + Back and it seemed to pair. Turns out it paired with the host which is a Roamio with a dongle on TE4. I then powered off the host Roamio. The Mini is in a room adjacent to the host, so that BLE seems pretty strong. I then powered off the Mini VOX and the TE3 Mini next to it. I also reset the VOX remote with TiVo + TV Power + down 3x and Enter.

I placed the remote near the Mini VOX and applied power to the Mini. After boot I hit the TiVo button and the Mini came out of Standby and displayed TiVo Central. It seems that it paired in RF mode without my help.

I just said "RF mode". How can I tell? Is there a test for RF vs BLE? The LED is amber. So to be accurate, the VOX remote with TE3 on a Mini VOX will pair in non-IR mode. The diags of TE4 are not in TE3. The TE4 diags for the remote don't work on my Roamio or its Mini anyhow. I will update post 1.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.
  16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the diligent efforts, Joe. And so (my head is spinning a bit right now--let me know if the following is incorrect), it's a positive (but still mixed, depending on remote hardware) bag for those spoiled by non-IR use for a remote and stubbornly (lol) sticking with TE3: the VOX remote and Mini VOX are fine with non-IR mode, but the Slide Pro or other TiVo RF remote is a no-go with a TE3 Mini VOX for RF mode (but still would be fine in IR mode).

skypros likes this.
  17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I do not have a Slide Pro. I could use the supplied Mini VOX remote since the voice button is non-functional in TE3. But I don't have Netflix. I would have to learn the (small) changes in key placement. I have 100% regular remotes even on my Premiere. I also want to say again: I don't know it the Mini VOX works in RF mode. It's likely that it works in BLE which still functions in TE3 on the Mini. The dongle seems to convert RF to IR on the Roamio. If you can believe its diagnostic's display.

Bottom line: someone who wants the Mini VOX can use its remote in "RF" mode with TE3. Also, on the Mini if you hit the voice button in TE3, it does not function.

Aside: I powered off the TE4 Roamio. I placed a cleared regular Roamio remote next to the unit. I powered up the Roamio. After it came up, I hit the remote's TiVo button. It was amber. It paired. So I have paired a Vox remote with dongle and a regular remote to one Roamio with TE4. :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Mikeguy and skypros like this.
  18. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    1st Gen Mini with RF Dongle and Roamio Pro TE4 Host using Roamio Remote - non-VOX

RF works no sweat, but I cannot get the Remote and Mini to PAIR

Is it even possible ?

19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If I reread your post, you have an A92 Mini with dongle and C00270 remote. The Mini is TE4. They won't pair. Right?

Unclear is that part about "RF works no sweat". I guess that means the remote works elsewhere in RF mode?

SalemCat likes this.
  20. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    No, the Remote is in RF Mode and works fine with the 1st Gen Mini and the RF Dongle.

Amber Lights every time; no line of sight needed.

Now, if I bring the Remote over to the Roamio Pro TE4 Host, the Remote has no effect.

The Roamio Pro TE4 Host has a VOX Remote with VOX Dongle, and they are paired.

It seems to me that the 1st Gen Mini w RF Dongle and Roamio Remote in RF Mode are not officially "PAIRED", but are in an exclusive Relationship.