Mini Vox Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by disco denny, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1 of 20
    disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    How to do get the mini vox to come on after 4 hours when it went into the sleep mode?(it has been downgraded and on an ethernet connections)

History,

I just hooked it up yesterday, it took 1.5 hours, I downgraded it match the bolt I have. It went good. It only took 2 trys to get it into the RF mode. Only tried the plex app and works good.

2. Dec 4, 2017 #2 of 20
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's not really a sleep mode, it's just a screen saver with tuner release. Any key should wake it up. But even if you use Standby, the TiVo button or the Live TV button should put it back on-line.

3. Dec 4, 2017 #3 of 20
    disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    thanks,

I will try it later today after the tuner releases. I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and worked great, still had the buffer.

The picture quality is great.

4. Dec 4, 2017 #4 of 20
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I always put my Mini boxes into Standby so that a EAS test doesn't put them on-line. After turning on the TV I just hit the Live TV button.

5. Dec 4, 2017 #5 of 20
    disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Results from quick test...The mini went into screen saver mode and just hit the live tv button and it came on. I think I may found an issue that I had this morning. I may not have had the remote facing the tv to turn it on. When I hit power, the tivo mini came on(assuming) but tv did not. Hit power again, TV came on and (assuming again, turned mini off). They where out of sync. It was 4:15am.....

Will test again tomorrow morning.

The question here is the TV power button on remote turns mini off?

6. Dec 4, 2017 #6 of 20
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You need to program the power button on the remote to turn the TV on and off. There is no power off for the Mini. It will release its tuner after about four hours, and start a screen saver mode. To put the Mini in to Standby mode, that is a menu option. Standby stops all output. To exit Standby, the TiVo button or Live TV button works. I have seen the guide button work on occasion.

7. Dec 4, 2017 #7 of 20
    disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    After I read your reply, I turned the tv on using the tv only remote. The tivo mini is off. It shows no HDMI input on tv. The only way to get it back on(mini) is to unplug it and plug it in. Even the TV Pwr or Live TV on remote does not turn mini back on.

8. Dec 4, 2017 #8 of 20
    disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Need Ted on this one. This is what I did.

1. Turn the tv off with the remote that came with the tv.
    2. Then turned the tv on with the remote from the TV.

Result:
    When tv came on the mini was off. Only way to get it back on was unplugging it and plugging it back on.

9. Dec 4, 2017 #9 of 20
    disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is repeatable, turn tv off with remote from tv and turn tv back on with tv remote.and mini is off and need to unplug to get it back on. I guess the HDMI turns it off.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have HDMI (CEC) control off on everything if it has the option. TiVo's don't have the option. They don't know CEC.

11. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson New Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Same issue. Twice I had to unplug Mini Vox to power back up so far. Both times on the same unit. I'll keep tracking it to gather more data points. But it was the same sequence - turn off TV with power button, come back some point later and turn on TV and press live tv, no video input until Mini Vox is rebooted.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It might not mean anything, but knowing the make & model of TV might help.

My older Sony 32EX700 has never had an issue with my Mini VOX.

13. disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's s Sony Bravia KDL-46S100.

I just turned the tv off using the power switch on tv and it turned the Tivo Mini Vox off.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Does the front LED also go out?

15. disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, the white light on mini is on but no hdmi output to tv.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you put the Mini into Standby, that LED goes out.

17. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I have the same issue with a Dynx 24" TV. I think it is a TV/HDMI issue. If the Mini is turned on first the TV is fine, but if the TV is turned on first it sometimes comes up with a black screen when the Mini is turned on. If I then power cycle the TV, all is well.

Alex Johnson likes this.
  18. disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yes the light goes out on mini when in standby mode. If you don't turn the tv off, the mini will wake up. But if you turn tv off and turn back on the mini stays off, then you have to unplug and plug in again.

19. disco denny

disco denny New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Phil T,

Thanks for the help!!! I switched my mini vox and Bolt. The Bolt is on the TV that mini was on. It does the same thing. It appears the Sony TV when turned off and turned back on it does not recognize the HDMI 1 input. It says its on HDMI 1 but no signal. Workaround, On the Sony tv remote I toggle to HDMI 2 then back to HDMI 1 and tivo signal is there, works great.

Side note, when Tivos plugged into my new Samsung TV works great.

Alex Johnson and Phil T like this.
  20. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    HDMI is soooo much fun!

craigr