1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Vox Lost Connection same exact time every evening

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Ray Jones, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Ray Jones

Ray Jones New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    My mini vox boxes lose connection to the host Bolt Vox (v66 error) every night at exactly the same time. Force the box to restart and it reconnects and works perfectly until the same time the next night. Not a 24 hour thing as mid-day restart does not change the nightly failure. Moca network is not down. Vox dvr works fine throughout.

TIVO Support says I need new splitter. What a joke of support. I have called them a dozen times and they come up with a new worthless suggestion each time. This equipment is new and I'm ready to send it back and get a refund.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding cause or cure?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you're doing MoCA, do you have a "PoE" MoCA filter installed? (In case some external MoCA device is causing the disruption.)

If you're connecting via wireless, is it the same time you microwave dinner or popcorn, or make a call via your cordless phone?

Yeah, almost as worthless as "new splitter," but...

3. Ray Jones

Ray Jones New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    MoCA setup with PeE filter installed. Nothing anyone in house is doing. Got to be something in the TIVO equipment or something else on the network. Whatever the problem, it's momentary because always works perfect after mini restart.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you using a tuning adapter with the BOLT? What model modem/gateway? What device is acting as your main MoCA bridge: the BOLT, gateway, a MoCA adapter? Are your TiVos your only MoCA devices?

p.s. Continuing the grasping... Do you have any TV programs set to record at the same time the issue is occurring?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you configured the TiVo boxes to use DHCP or have you configured them with manual IP addresses? (Wondering if the Mini VOX boxes are having issues with DHCP lease expiration and renewal.)

p.s. You could power cycle your router and see if the time of day when the issue occurs changes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Ray Jones

Ray Jones New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Actiontec moca adaptor. Tivo only thing on moca right now. Netgear r7000 router. just changed to static IP. I will see if that makes a difference.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This may not be important, but something to think about. One, the lease on a DHCP supplied IP address is 24 hours. That won't be an issue with a reservation or fixed IP address. Two, my Netgear R7500 would lose connection to the EX7000 range extender (used only as a wireless adapter) every night. Sadly, the only fix was to buy an R8000. Support at Netgear isn't so good once your warranty expires.

The lease on my R8000 is for over 3 days. There may have been an update that has changed the lease period.

9. Ray Jones

Ray Jones New Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I factory reset of my router seems to have resolved the problem. Due to the "same time" issue, I suspected the router all along. I had updated firmware and restarted many times. Only a factory reset (resetting using paperclip to trip reset button on back of router) worked. This, of course, causes the router to lose everything. Had to set up all settings including all wireless network names, passwords etc. Took some time, but worth it in the end. Note: I tried this based on info on a Netgear forum stating that often firmware upgrades have problems unless they are accompanied by a factory reset.

krkaufman likes this.