Mini vox and WiFi 5 adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by The-man2, Feb 22, 2020.

1. The-man2

The-man2 New Member

Jul 27, 2016

Advertisements

Longtime Tivo user about to set-up first Mini Vox (a95) and WiFi adapter.

I am running the older interface (TE3) on a Bolt Vox.

1-Do I have to switch to to TE4 on the Bolt Vox to use the Mini Vox + adapter with it? If the trade off is not having skip I would choose TE3.

2-When setting up the Mini I assume I should first plug in the mini via Ethernet before trying the WiFi adapter?

3-Any other tips?

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The wireless adapter requires TE4, and the Mini must use the same UI as the Host, so that would mean Bolt and Mini both using TE4 for the adapter setup to work.

If you're sticking with TE3, you'll need that ethernet (or a MoCA setup).

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Note that you can get the same effect* as the Mini VOX and TiVo WiFi 5 Adapter by using a "regular" WiFi bridge in place of the TiVo WiFi 5 Adapter--and no need to use TE4 (as the TiVo WiFi 5 Adapter requires) in that circumstance, or be relegated to Ethernet if wanting to stick with TE3.

Often mentioned here as a WiFi bridge to consider: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Travel-Router-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01N5RCZQH/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=wifi+bridge&qid=1582389928&refinements=p_89:TP-Link&rnid=2528832011&sr=8-7 (TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router - WiFi Bridge/Range Extender/Access Point/Client Modes).

* Depending on personal circumstances/setup.

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Part of the release notes:

What's new in version 21.9.6.v5 for TiVo Experience 4?

This software version includes the following features and enhancements:
    • TiVo USB Wi-Fi 5 Adapter Support – Updates to the user interface to support wireless setup and management on TiVo Mini VOX when using the TiVo USB Wi-Fi 5 accessory.
    Other wireless adapters:
    RE6500
    WUMC710
    DP-1650
    TEW-800MB
    EX7000
    RE580D
    Prices vary wildly. Also you can use Ethernet or MoCA. The wifi 5 adapter from TiVo is 5GHz only. My favorite: https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-AC19...ocphy=9054675&hvtargid=pla-435482556170&psc=1

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Mikeguy likes this.
  5. The-man2

The-man2 New Member

Jul 27, 2016

Advertisements

Ok...
    Gave it more thought.
    Returning the Tivo WiFi 5 adapter.
    Skip fuction and voice control is not worth the ads on the new interface.

MoCA or extender?

Now, I have never used MoCA. I am hesitant because of the possibility of my other LAN & wireless devices being affected either by the mini or the presence of a POE filter...Rock solid with no drops and very fast and strong for the last year.

The Tivo Volt I am using is pluged into a wirless router/extender via ethernet port. But that extender is a $200+ product and works flawlessly.

Do the $35 extenders work well enough for the mini vox? Considerations are reliability, signal strength, and how large/ugly it is.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably not. Wireless extenders used as a bridge == no support. MoCA is well supported. Also, some like powerline adapters.

Or buy the $35 extender from someone who has a good return policy.

7. The-man2

The-man2 New Member

Jul 27, 2016
    So you would recomend the $47 extender you linked to but not the $35 extender linked by another poster?

8. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    FWIW, I plug my mini into an Orbi satellite and backhaul wirelessly. No issues.

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    It's all so much a YMMV, depending on one's own circumstances, including router, physical layout, etc. Having a store return policy available for whichever bridge is a good thing.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are using extender to describe the bridge I linked to. It can be an extender but I turned that off. So it's just a Ethernet to WiFi bridge. It does that very well and is the easiest of all that I listed to configure. While the device @Mikeguy liked to is what I call an "LTE Router". I have one of those. I can't use it here since I don't have an "LTE Modem", or smart phone. My sister has one. She lives in an RV park. Since the park's wireless is open and not secure, she gets security from that router.

SkipMode is not a part of the TE4 interface. Automatic SM and VOX is. I have to hit a key to skip. I don't have a B(V)olt, so you may get better help from other members.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    But just to be clear: as I understand it, that particular TP-Link device also can function as a "regular" WiFi bridge/extender/access point/router (but please let me know if I'm mistaken).

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are probably correct. I was unable to figure out how to make it work. Since I'm not going back to FL in the foreseeable future, I gave up trying.

13. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Since your Bolt is already "not" using wired Ethernet, you would seem to be in an ideal situation to set up the Bolt as a MoCA Bridge and just use that to access the Mini - this would keep virtually all the video streaming between the bolt and the Mini off your wireless network and provide the best performance for the Mini.

The POE filter will be on your in-coming coax line and not connected in any way to your wired or wireless Ethernet LAN. If you want to ensure that nothing on your LAN will be affected by the video streaming between your TiVo devices, this is the absolute best option for you (in my opinion). And unless you need to replace any existing splitters in your coax (unlikely), you already have everything you need except an $8 POE filter.

We recently had another thread where I suggested this very solution to another user (using a wireless extender to connect the Bolt and "fool it" into thinking it had a wired Ethernet connection, then using it as a MoCA Bridge), and it worked perfectly for him.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  14. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    I agree try the moca option first since the bolt and mini already have that built in (assuming you've got coax at convenient places)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

15. insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC
    I just bought a Tivo Mini VOX to pair with my Roamio Pro. However, TE4 is a non starter for me. Is it fair to assume that there is no hope that Tivo will update TE3 to support its own WiFi adapter on a Tivo Mini?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Zero. Zip. Nyet. NFW, Nada. :D

But if you want to use a wireless bridge, there are several that work just fine. It's just a matter of money.
    RE6500 (I use two on A93)
    WUMC710
    DP-1650 (most modern looking)
    TEW-800MB
    EX7000
    RE580D (easiest to configure)
    Just use Google.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  17. insomniac99

insomniac99 Member

Jul 24, 2007
    NYC
    Thanks. Disappointing but not surprising.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In 5 days, TE3 celebrates it's 2 year birthday without an update. :(