1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Tips

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by missingwings, Sep 4, 2018.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I am finally set up with a Roamio Pro, with two V2 Mini’s on New Experience, using MoCA, and no TA. I have a couple questions:

Q1. Is there any logic to which tuner each mini grabs when it’s active? That is, if my Pro is currently using tuners 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (i.e. I can cycle through them with the LiveTV button), and I then access one of the mini’s, what criteria (if any) is used to borrow one of the DVR’s tuners (or is it strictly random)?

Q2. If I am watching a specific live program on the Pro, is there some way to go to one of the mini’s and start watching the same program at the same point in the queue? If so, what button press sequence would be used at the mini?

kpeters59 likes this.
  2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Great questions. I'll add one...

If your MotherBox TiVo needs to grab a tuner to record, and the only "free" tuners are being used by Minis, what does it do? Grab it? Ask first?

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A1: It is given the tuner which has been idle longest. If all tuners are equal, such as after a restart, then it's the lowest number. BTW, they are numbered 0 to 5. Check Diagnostics. Each tuner has a timer that is reset when it changes to a channel not already on a tuner.
    A2: No. But I'm not sure if I understand your use of "the queue".

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    On 2, you would hit record, and then go to the mini and resume from the my shows list.

On 3, I believe it asks, but never seen it happen. So, educated guess.

astrohip likes this.
  5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks. I'll play around and force it to happen, and see what it does.

6. arewhy

arewhy Member

Dec 29, 2015
    San Diego
    With regards to Q1, I agree with the answer above i.e. it grabs the tuner that has been idle the longest or the lowest channel if all tuners are equal. I would add the caveat that this would be the behavior if you just press the Live TV button. However, I find that if I press the Tivo Button and then press the guide button and select a channel from the guide if one of the MotherBox tuners is on that selected channel it will grab that tuner complete with 30-minute buffer unless the MotherBox is actively tuned to that channel. With regards to Q2, if you want to continue watching a live program on the Pro, select a different tuner on the Pro, go to the mini, press the Tivo Button, Press the guide button and select the channel that the Pro was previously tuned to. I won’t say it works 100% of the time but it works more often than not.

While we’re on the subject, if you’re running Hydra I found another neat trick, I can actually share a tuner with a mini! I find that when I press the right arrow and bring up the tuner list and select a tuner that’s being used by a mini that both the mini and the Pro will be on the same channel. I can even rewind and fast forward with no impact to the mini. If I change the channel on the Pro it disconnects the mini.