Mini start up screen and then shuts off

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by kad7777, Dec 21, 2019.

1. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    White light on front when plugged in. Get the gray startup screen on TV. Does it's thing for a minute or so, then shuts off completely. Never makes it to Tivo home screen (with "my shows", etc). Tried different adapters and TV.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I assume that the TiVo button on the remote doesn't do anything, including having the remote's LED show RED? My Mini boxes do the same thing since I shut them off in Standby.

My router shows connected devices. Have you checked after a few minutes to see if the Mini has an IP address? Also, are there no progress displays with the TiVo log displayed in SD & HD?

Which model Mini? A92, A93 or A95?

3. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Mini is an A93.
    As far as the SD or HD logs, I'm not sure how to do that.

My network is recognizing all my connected tivos

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As a Mini starts, there are several different displays telling you it's starting. Are those missing? What modem is your router?

5. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Starting up, updating . . . shut off

My other minis and dvr don't have a problem so I'm guessing it's not modem or router related.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wonder what it's updating?

7. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Spoke with Tivo tech support. They told me since I have done everything to troubleshoot, there's nothing that can be done. Since the mini was bought on Ebay, they have no interest in helping in any way. Replacement or otherwise.

When equipment like this doesn't work I'd love to be able to find out what happened. So, if anyone else has the same problem and got it back working or found the reason why the mini just shuts itself off, please let me know.

8. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    **** UPDATE ****
    So, in the wee hours of the morning I took the mini (actually I have two that shut down at starting up - both A93's), and began fiddling around. Again. Plugged internet and hdmi in at different intervals. Plugged in with and without internet and/or hdmi. Still shut off.

At one point with everything plugged in (the last being ac power), the white light on front of the mini (which is always on until it shuts off), blinked orange a few times (which it always has), and I started clicking the Tivo button on my remote constantly and the amber light on front of the mini blinked in accordance with my tivo button pressing. Lo and behold the mini got to the home screen. I'm sure the constant tivo button pressing had nothing to do with the mini booting to home screen, but nevertheless I was ecstatic. I got to "Reset to Defaults" and cleared and deleted everything.

I can't remember if mini restarted on its own or if I unplugged and replugged ac (again, wee hours), but the mini hung on "starting up". I unplugged ac and replugged a couple of times trying to be patient in hopes I could get passed the "starting up" screen and lo and behold the setup screen appeared. I went through all the setup and personal preferences and then went to "live tv" and began watching tv. I unplugged and replugged a couple times to make sure it loaded to home screen and "live tv" and had no problem

Went on to my second mini with the same problem and yes, lo and behold I went through the same exact procedure with same results. So, for whatever it's worth. There ya go.

9. Jan 5, 2020 #9 of 14
    BBHughes

BBHughes Member

Dec 26, 2006
    It makes no sense that this would do anything but banging away at the TiVo button fixed the mini I have that was stuck in a boot loop and hadn't worked in months. Thanks for this weird trick!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. kad7777

kad7777 Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I know. Weird huh?

alp44 likes this.
  11. jeffinva

jeffinva New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Hah... this just fixed my Tivo Mini Vox that would go to the boot up screen to no signal. Thanks!

12. Russell_

Russell_ New Member

May 21, 2016
    My issue was exactly as succinctly described above. Sincere appreciation to @kad7777 for the solution!

My observation: there appear to be three phases (to my problem). First the colorful Tivo Logo. Pressing the remote at this stage did not change the color of the led on the front of the mini. Next, "Starting" for a very long time. Once again, pressing the remote at this stage did not change the color of the led on the front of the mini. Finally, the screen flashed a couple of times (green in my case) and then "Starting" again. Previously this would last for a relatively short time and then I'd experience no signal. I noticed that pressing the remote at this stage DID change the color of the led on the front of the mini to a reddish color. And, this time it went to the home screen. I went to "Reset to Defaults" and cleared and deleted everything. Do note I have no evidence whether pressing the remote in the earlier stages helped or not - all I'm describing is what I saw in the led on the front of the mini.

13. JxxAxxY

JxxAxxY Member

Oct 18, 2018
    I believe I went through this same exact issue where I was stuck on a loop. However I can't tell you what I did to fix it or if it just decided to work on its own.

14. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    I'm on my 3rd replacement out of 4 minis in my home. Don't let them charge you $79 as they will tell you its their Vox mini which are the same as the old ones. Tell them that you see others being charged $39 on your tivo forum. They will come back and say OK they can give you the promo rate of $39. It was awhile ago when I set my system up, but I thought tv mini's had a lifetime warranty? The replacement fee should be only $39. They arrive quickly in a few days. Once you see the looping tivo guy "thats it thats all folks" . . . it has to be replaced.