Mini playback is periodically choppy

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by thehepcat, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1 of 19
    thehepcat

thehepcat Member

Jan 9, 2002

Advertisements

Mini and Roamio on TWC are both connected via Ethernet

The last couple of days I've been getting choppy playback on the Mini. If I change channel (or switch to live to when it happens on recorded show), it will correct it for a while.

Thoughts?

2. Mar 1, 2015 #2 of 19
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    How do you connect to your mini?

3. Mar 1, 2015 #3 of 19
    thehepcat

thehepcat Member

Jan 9, 2002
    everything is hard wired ethernet

4. Mar 1, 2015 #4 of 19
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Have you rebooted the Mini? That would rebuild all data tables and flush all buffers, in case memory management gets sloppy after a while (which would qualify as a software bug, of course).

5. Mar 1, 2015 #5 of 19
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...

Advertisements

Since it's all Ethernet, I would reboot the whole network system too.

6. Mar 1, 2015 #6 of 19
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You could try using MoCA.

7. Mar 2, 2015 #7 of 19
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    How many routers on your network? Just one?

8. Mar 2, 2015 #8 of 19
    Ralph P.

Ralph P. Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Middletown NY
    Greetings,

What is the video resolution set to on your Mini? The HD networks are broadcast on either 1080i or 720p resolutions. If the Mini is set to output 1080i only watching 720p programming can lead to intermittent choppiness especially if the video processing in your display isn't up to the task.

If yours is set to 1080i only try setting it to 1080i and 720p and see if it eliminates the problem.

9. Mar 4, 2015 #9 of 19
    thehepcat

thehepcat Member

Jan 9, 2002
    OK...Mini and network have both been rebooted, but was just choppy again.

I have it set to auto-detect and is at 1080i.

There is 1 router and a 4 port hub.

Embarrassingly I did forget one component, the Mini is going into an Xbox One.

10. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Baltimore
    Any semi-modern HD tv/monitor can handle the 720p <-> 1080i conversion just fine without choppiness. I've owned 20+ HDTVs since 2002 from a low end Westinghouse all the way up to the highly acclaimed Pioneer Kuro and not a single one of them have ever had an issue de-interlacing a 1080i signal (that was previously upconverted from 720p by the STB) to the point where the video playback becomes choppy. This is either a network resource issue, Xbox issue, or a Tivo resource problem (i.e. the Roamio is busy performing other tasks and streaming performance is therefore suffering).

11. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Baltimore
    This sounds like a network issue (or potentially a Tivo resource issue). The hub may be an issue if either the Roamio or the Mini are plugged into it. Hubs have been knows to cause issues with the Roamio and/or Mini in the past. If your hub is a "green" hub, try replacing it with one that isn't. Before you do that though, try plugging both the Roamio and Mini directly into the router (no hub) if you can. That will tell you if the hub is the issue or not. Also, I do not think the Xbox is the issue, but try also plugging the Mini directly into the tv to eliminate the xbox as a source of potential problems. Performing these tasks should give you a better idea of where exactly the issue lies.

12. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I really suspect a network issue the Mini uses about ~18Mb/s of bandwidth across the network and any 100Mb/s (or greater) switch should handle it just fine. That said I would start to suspect your network cable(s). A cable can be failing (shorted, kinked, bad connection/termination etc) and appear to be working when not put under any type of stress but once you start to load the network segment up the packet retransmissions can easily cause you to exceed the bandwidth available.

Another possibility, also related to your network is a network duplex mismatch, although most if not all manufactures have figured out how to auto negotiate by now, it is possible that one device selected full duplex while the other end chose half duplex, if you had a duplex mismatch your network would also see a large number of errors (actually collisions) and the result would also be poor performance.

I'm assuming your Mini and the Roamio are in the same switch, if this is the case there are only 2 ethernet cables that would be suspect, replace them both, if they are on different switches then there are 3 cables that can be suspect.

MoCA is another possibility but it too can suffer from the same network issues due to poorly terminated CoAX and/or kinked wires (yes there is a minimum bend radius)

-TL

13. thehepcat

thehepcat Member

Jan 9, 2002
    How would I check the duplex setting? A bit out of my depth here.

14. thehepcat

thehepcat Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Also I should change the thread name to mostly choppy, increasingly worse.

Trying to watch MLS on ESPN2 right now, chop was so bad I switched to the ESPN app on the Xbox - which is working with no issues.

15. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Baltimore
    The chance that it is a "duplex" issue is very low. Any modern hub from the last several years will set itself automatically to the correct setting. I strongly suggest that you follow my suggestions from my previous post to try and help narrow down where the issue is.

16. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Agreed duplex issue is probably not it but I would highly recommend replacing the ethernet cables as a starting point, its and easy test/fix.

-TL

17. Marty1781

Marty1781 Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Baltimore
    I think between the cables, xbox, and the hub (as in it possibly being of the "green" variety), the issue is going to be one of those. The OP should test each one of those separately as previously suggested as this should be an easy fix.

18. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Middletown NY
    Greetings,

I wholeheartedly agree Marty. My post was really aimed not at de-interlacing 1080i for 720p output, which is a simpler task for a video processor, but converting a progressive signal (a station broadcasting 720p) for interlaced output (1080i) by the Tivo Mini.

Regardless, it was merely a suggestion. He didn't mention what his settings were, the type of display he was using or specifically what "choppy" meant.

Whatever the issue I hope he finds a resolution.

19. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    What's the make/model numbers of the networking equipment?
    (router + hub)