Mini over VPN

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by David B Gregory, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jan 1, 2019 #1 of 40
    David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Has anyone set up a vpn between two locations to utilize a mini over the vpn to a bolt.
    I have never had luck using the streaming service, especially watching football games. It would be nice to utilize the cable i pay for when gone for the summer

2. Jan 2, 2019 #2 of 40
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think some users have set up a VPN for transferring shows but not sure if I recall reading about anyone trying to do this for a Mini. What's the Internet upload bandwidth where you have the Bolt and the download bandwidth where you would have the Mini?

Scott

3. Jan 2, 2019 #3 of 40
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have seen some claim that they were able to get a VPN setup to use minis in other locations, so apparently, it is possible. Having said that, possible is not probable as the upload on the home location would have to be able to handle a steady 20Mbps to do live TV on the remote mini. Most of the standard, non-fios ISP's, usually have a measly 5-10Mbps upload unless you are on the top speed tiers at the home location.
    If you have tried the standard Tivo streaming function at the remote location and that works then simply use that, but considering it is pretty buggy and a bit unreliable, some folks have gone a bit old school and simply use a Slingbox at home and a PC or whatever at the remote location. The 350 or an M1-M2 Slingbox are a bit less expensive and I recommend you use component connections to avoid DRM issues that can show up if trying to use HDMI on the 500 model. You may not get the highest resolution, but you are likely to get the best resolution the remote location will support anyway.

compuguy, HerronScott and mdavej like this.
  4. Jan 2, 2019 #4 of 40
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yep, a Slingbox will work much better than a VPN and doesn't require anywhere near as much bandwidth. I can use my 350 to watch everything on my Tivo anywhere in the world (including all streaming services, like Netflix, that would otherwise be blocked, even on a VPN).

compuguy and fcfc2 like this.
  5. Jan 2, 2019 #5 of 40
    David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    What converter do you use from HDMI to component? does it duplicate the HDMI as a splitter and can handle the different resolution so the TV stays connected?
    I have 20MB upload at the Bolt, but you can never guarantee that the speed will be there, and 100MB download. I was looking at using Cisco RV320 on each end and create a PVC between the two networks

6. Jan 2, 2019 #6 of 40
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Most Tivo folks would use a mini as the component source via one of these cables, TiVo Breakout Cable Kit for Mini and Roamio (Composite and Component) - TiVo Cable - WeaKnees - the DVR Superstore pW7o4J7geaVbYdRAYOGJq4aAsaFEALw_wcB also available via Tivo and Amazon.
    Those Cisco products have some interesting reviews on Amazon, Amazon.com: Customer reviews: 2QW1646 - Cisco RV320 Dual WAN VPN Router but by all means give them a try and then comeback and let us know how you made out.

mdavej likes this.
  7. Jan 2, 2019 #7 of 40
    David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Thank you, I can order the breakout cable, same price from Amazon and hook up to a mini.

8. Jan 2, 2019 #8 of 40
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not sure that 20Mbps uplink is going to cut it given overhead for the VPN connection and actual throughput.

Scott

9. Jan 2, 2019 #9 of 40
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't understand. I have a Stream. I go to TiVo Online and I can watch a recorded TV show, 1080i DD5.1, on my computer. My upstream is 7Mbps max. Where is the magic part I'm missing?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The 20 Mbps uplink wouldn’t be sufficient for supporting a remote Mini via a VPN connection. It would be fine for TiVo mobile streaming or for a Slingbox stream.

compuguy and JoeKustra like this.
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Got it. I'm using my internal network, so the internet is not a factor. Thanks.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Right and you were talking about streaming which transcodes to a lower format at a much lower bitrate compared to a Mini which receives the original source.

Scott

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I purchased the cable, but should have checked my mini's first. I have the mini Vox and it does not have the output to put the cable for component video.

14. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry, I do have a Bolt+ but no VOX period and I forgot about the new minis altogether. I am really not a Bolt fan either and prefer the older Roamio Plus or Pro units along with the 93000 series minis but the 92000's will also work well with the Slingboxes. I also don't know if there are any adapters which would go from HDMI to component either, maybe someone else knows about that.

15. UnitMaster

UnitMaster New Member

Jan 30, 2019
    The A93 minis only have a 10 BaseT ethernet port in them so I'm not sure where you are getting you 20 megabit upload requirements.

16. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know where you are getting your specs, but the minis use what are commonly called fast Ethernet which is capable of 100Mbps. Since the mini on a local network can use up to 20Mbps for live TV, your VPN has to be capable of uploading up to that rate when being used. Since most ISP's have asymmetrical speeds and most customers simply don't offer that kind of upload unless you are on the highest speed tiers you rule out the majority of folks. If you use fiber which usually has symmetrical speeds this may be workable. However, if you are traveling, you may find that the available download speed in a hotel/motel etc. may not be sufficient either as sometimes these are really only a courtesy speed for surfing and checking email and such. Streaming services which are more highly compressed can often be used, but these can work at surprisingly low band width, same for something like the slingbox which transcodes the videos at a much lower bandwidth.
    I was also referencing the few folks who occasionally have reported success but also the failure of others and the likely cause.

krkaufman likes this.
  17. UnitMaster

UnitMaster New Member

Jan 30, 2019
    Not true. Yes "fast Ethernet" is 100 megabits but the A93's don't have true fast Ethernet they only have 10baseT.. You can test this by opening up the Netflix app and then running the Netflix diagnostic feature. You'll never see faster than 10 megabits. Also check your switch lights, if you have an older 10/100 switch only the 10 will be lit.

18. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't mind arguing over something important, but I think your testing or equipment is faulty. Please feel free to try and use your VPN on a mini at a remote location for live TV. The specs for the minis say they have fast Ethernet and several others have reported the mini pulling up to 20Mbps for live TV....argue with them.
    EDIT: I just re-read your last post, what netflix or any other streaming service uses as their max bandwidth are generally well below, due to compression and transcoding, what a mini can use with LIVE TV, LIVE TV, LIVE TV, is much different. Streaming services generally use only a fraction of what LIVE TV uses.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    krkaufman likes this.
  19. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I have an A93 and it is showing a 100Mbps connection on my network switch so not sure what's wrong with your switch (or the negotiated speed). I'm afraid that running the Netflix connection speed test isn't a good way to verify your network connection on the Mini.

Port 1 is the 1Gbps uplink for the switch (green) and port 3 is the 100Mbps connection for the Mini A93 (amber). If it were a 10Mbps connection the top LED would be off.

upload_2019-3-9_12-16-39.png

Scott

krkaufman and JoeKustra like this.
  20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thank you for saving me the work of changing the wireless bridge that supports my A93 and A95 Mini units. It doesn't have a way of showing the link speed.

HerronScott likes this.