Mini or Roamio for second tv?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by komobu, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1 of 18
    komobu

komobu New Member

Mar 28, 2013

Advertisements

I ordered the Refurbished Roamio for my den. It is to arrive on Tuesday. I was thinking about getting the mini for the few times I watch tv in the living room. Maybe once or twice a month. The Roamio is currently only 50 dollars more and comes with lifetime service included. Since it has 4 tuners, and a 500gb hard drive, what is the downside to just ordering another tivo instead of the mini? What ever I order, the roamio or mini will be hooked up to my network by rj45 cable. If something is stored on the den tivo, would it be more difficult to watch that recording from the living room tivo vs a living room mini?

Could you please list any pros and cons? It would seem to be for 50 dollars, get another roamio. But I have never even seen a tivo before so I want to ask those of you who are familiar with them.

Thanks for any advice.

Digital Man likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2016 #2 of 18
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    When you are OTA there aren't any real downsides to having a second Roamio OTA versus a Mini, assuming you have access to an antenna in both locations. Anything you record on one Roamio streams to the other and works just like if you recorded it there.

wizwor likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #3 of 18
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thank you for the above inquiry and the response--I'm in the same situation and had come to the same tentative conclusion but have been wondering about it (for the extra $50, get all the Mini capabilities but in a standalone unit). For me, a further benefit is the networking aspect, being on wireless now and unsure about a wired connection due to lack of convenient coaxial cabling locations for a possible MoCA network (am now thinking of trying a powerline network)--at the very least, 2 separate OTA units give me greater flexibility, for the extra $50, let alone the extra tuners and storage.

The only "downside" I've seen is that the Roamio OTA in the current promotion is a refurb--but people have been reporting back favorably on that.

4. Dec 4, 2016 #4 of 18
    TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I am considering this as well. Only thing I can think of is maybe it not being as convenient since all of your recordings won't be in one cue? Don't you have to browse to the 2nd TiVo to see the recordings on that machine? Also, and this is both a pro and a con, you have to set up separate 1P's for both machines. That is a plus in that you have more tuners available and can therefore record different shows on each machine but it's also more to manage. Lastly, and this is minor and depends on your signal strength but currently I have my antenna lead directly plugged into the one Roamio in the house with no splitters, if I add a second Roamio vs a Mini then I have to split the signal. Currently I have a few of channels that are a little borderline on signal strength (I pick up stations from two different markets) and the splitter could aggravate that. And an amplifier doesn't work for me because half my channels are too strong and an amplifier causes problems for those.

Mikeguy likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2016 #5 of 18
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for the extra factors to consider--appreciated.

6. Dec 4, 2016 #6 of 18
    westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    This may be a dumb question, but - is there any reason a Roamio OTA couldn't be used instead of a "Mini" even if your primary box is on cable?

I just bought a refurbished Bolt with lifetime and was debating about getting a Mini for a TV we only use once in a while. Currently that second TV is used for stuff like Netflix and Hulu via an Apple TV.

7. Dec 4, 2016 #7 of 18
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Yes for playing back recorded shows on Bolt. No live tv (which Mini can do), although you can start recording on Bolt, and then playback on Roamio OTA

8. Dec 4, 2016 #8 of 18
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Roamio OTA can not share live tuners from another TiVo show so with a cable setup you loose live cable TV on the set you install the Roamio OTA. So for cable setup unless you want/need the OTA tuners in the Roamio OTA I think a Mini is a better solution.

9. Dec 5, 2016 #9 of 18
    delgadobb

delgadobb Active Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    This is EXACTLY how I'm using my Roamio OTA. I stream shows from the cable-connected Tivos (Roamio Pro & Roamio Base.) It sits in the back bedroom in lieu of a Mini.

In addition, anything from cable I want to keep around for later (series like Gotham/Homeland/Shameless/Dexter along with favorite movies) I transfer to the Roamio OTA - you can see in my .sig that it's greatly upgraded. It then becomes a streaming host if/when I decide I want to watch any of that ...

The one downside to this setup is the OTA can't 'siphon' a tuner from a Tivo like the Mini can. Since my cable-connected Tivos are already recording everything I want on cable, my solution to this is to stream the show from the host Tivo while it's recording. Minor difference & not an issue at all for me, but YMMV.

10. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    One more vote for the R/OTA over a Mini...
    1. Additional storage
    2. Additional tuners
    3. Redundancy (that Mini does not do much if the host craps out)
    4. Better Plex client
    5. Inactivity timer (turns off the tv when you fall asleep)
    No brainer, really, for another $50.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Aside from the workaround hassles in getting a cable Live TV-ish stream to the Roamio OTA, and scheduling recordings, some cable subscribers would lose access to cable on-demand programming at the Roamio OTA location. (e.g. Comcast customers) Of course, some customers don't have access to on-demand programming at all, so...

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I think you need to be in TiVo ads. ;) Although, you don't have a Bolt yet . . . .

wizwor likes this.
  13. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Thanks to everyone for the informative responses! I (belatedly) apologize for inadvertently hijacking the thread though. :D

14. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    With 2 Roamios, do you get one combined My Shows? Or do you have to wonder where something recorded?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Neither. Each DVR's shows are listed separately, but there's no wondering; the other DVR's listing is easily accessible via its device icon at the bottom of the current DVR's 'My Shows' listing.

Though, yes, I would like the option of a merged presentation, but not as much as I'd like user profiles. (But won't be holding my breath for either.)

16. TinCanFury

TinCanFury New Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I have a question about adding a second Roamio to my existing one.
    I currently have a Lifetime Sub Roamio with a cable card. I'm thinking of getting a second one for either OTA use or just as a second playback device (and possibly for transferring shows for long term storage). There's several used Roamio's on sale through Craigslist in the area for less than a Mini goes for, so I'm wondering about buying one of those instead of a Mini.

With the Mini no subscription is necessary, if I get a second Roamio would I need a sub for it if I only use it for playback and not recording?
    If I do want to use it also as an OTA recording device will I need a sub for that box too?

Thanks!

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Without a subscription a TiVo has no networking and no guide. Recording may be impossible. Keep watching for BF sales and used Roamio OTA w/All-In.

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    A refurb. Roamio OTA 1TB box with included Lifetime subscription will be going for $300 in TiVo's BF sale this week.