Mini only Works on Ethernet, Not Co-Ax???

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by airstreamingypsy, May 25, 2020.

1. airstreamingypsy

airstreamingypsy New Member

Aug 1, 2009

Advertisements

Hello,

Newbie here. I've had Tivos for years, the last one being Directv. I just dropped DTV and now have cable. Since I couldn't live without Tivo, and Tivo remotes, I checked craigslist. Found a Nice Series 5 Roamio, with lifetime service, along with it's Mini friend. Got the Roamio up and running, after calling Tivo and switching both boxes in my name. Hooked the Mini up, no joy on co-ax, works great on ethernet cable. The co-ax set up is...... Cable from Spectrum comes in house. Attached it to splitter. Co-ax from splitter to Arris internet box, to Roamio and to Mini. Cable from Spectrum also comes into bedroom, where mini is, but that didn't work so I attached different coax to the splitter that works for everything else. Still no joy. I saw instructions that said to make MoCA network, my Roamio doesn't give me the choice to make a network. The Roamio is connected to wifi as well as cable. Why does the mini only work on ethernet? I want it to work on one of the two co-axes I have in the bedroom, either the one from the splitter or the one from Spectrum.

2. SullyND

SullyND W: 12-7 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The mini works with moca (coax). Depending on your Roamio you might need a moca adapter. Six-tuner Roamios have moca built in (this is how I run mine) four-tuner Roamios did not have moca built in.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Any chance there were any left over splitters/connectors from DTV, they would be using DECA which may block MoCa.
    What model Roamio, since only the 6 tuner models have MoCa Built-in, 4 tuner models do not. Your router would need either MoCA (if capable) turned on, or a MoCa adapter at this end.

MoCa needs adapters at both ends. Minis, 6 tuner Roamio have them built-in.

4. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009
    No, different everything, splitters, wires etc....

5. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009

Advertisements

Okay then, now we're cooking....... I have a 4 tuner Roamio.

6. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    So then you’d need a separate moca adapter. It’s possible (Though not a given) that your modem has moca built in.

7. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009
    Okay, that's good info I can check tomorrow. If not, do I need a Tivo brand adapter or will any moca adapter work?

8. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    It does not need to be tivo branded.

9. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009
    My modem does it seems. " However, your tg1682g does have built in MoCA" So, shouldn't it all work?

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Check your router/gateway first. Any MoCa 2.x+ would work.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If its not enabled, then no.

12. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009
    Does Spectrum have to enable it? I looked at adapters, it looks like it simply changes ethernet to co-ax..... what could be the point?

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Check with your browser, IP could be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.0. Look at stickers on the modem. You would also need its access code.

14. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009
    I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. I have this damn blue ethernet cable running across two rooms. Spent the day installing co-ax under the house so I could get rid of the blue cable..... Oy.

15. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    If you can’t enable moca at your router you attach the moca adapter to the coax at your router, that way you wouldn’t need Ethernet to the mini. You also should install a moca filter where your cable enters the house.

16. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    You will probably need a ethernet cable running to the TiVo.
    The wifi on tivo's s**ks.

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why are you connecting by Wifi/Wireless as it does not have the bandwidth to support the Mini.

18. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Actually the Vox Mini can be paired with the USB Wi-Fi adapter and it reportedly works just fine. I have one here that will get tested soon as I don't currently have cable available (either Moca or Ethernet) in the area that I'd like to use it in. Reviews were favorable enough to not hold me back from purchasing to give it a try.

19. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Spectrum, as a rule, will not enable MoCa on their modems, even where the option is present. You'll probably need a very nice CSR or a dedicated MoCa adapter.

kpeters59 likes this.
  20. airstreamingypsy

Aug 1, 2009

I wonder if it has to be a CSR on the phone, or could installer do it?