Mini no need for Ethernet OR Moca!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dean Johnson, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018 #1 of 36
    Dean Johnson

Dean Johnson Member

Nov 4, 2017

Advertisements

I switched my home from a regular router/extender network to an Eero based system about 2 months ago. I had Ethernet running to all my Tivo Minis but the Eero base units include 2 Ethernet ports so I decided to test if I could connect my Eeros via WiFi and hook a Mini to the Ethernet port and get acceptable connections. The Eero I tested was placed in my second floor bedroom about 30 feet from the main Eero base unit. After one week the Mini has not hiccuped one time. Perfect reception. Conclusion... you can trick your Mini into using a WiFi connection if you have Eero for your WiFi system and you don’t have to much distance between your units. Eero is a mesh system which you can learn about on either Amazon or their website.

krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.
  2. Mar 2, 2018 #2 of 36
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Really who knew? You should probably post this on the entire forum!

-KP

3. Mar 2, 2018 #3 of 36
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Great for you, and thanks for the report! As always, YMMV. ;)

4. Mar 3, 2018 #4 of 36
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Your Mini is connected to the Ethernet port of your Eero, similarly to how others have used a wireless bridge to successfully connect a Mini. Good job!

5. Mar 3, 2018 #5 of 36
    jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015

Advertisements

In the past I had been using Google Wifi in a similar fashion. My mini was connected to one of the ethernet ports on a secondary google wifi mesh node. Worked perfectly, don't recall having a single issue with it once for the year or so I used it like that.

Dean Johnson likes this.
  6. Mar 3, 2018 #6 of 36
    Dean Johnson

Dean Johnson Member

Nov 4, 2017
    I think Tivo requires an ethernet connection so they don't have a million more support phone calls from people who have crappy wifi.

CloudAtlas, kpeters59 and bradleys like this.
  7. Mar 3, 2018 #7 of 36
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

I agree, but it needs a really good signal. Wireless bridges have always worked well because they, by design, create a strong signal. A mesh like an Eero should be even more stable.

If you tried to just put a WiFi dongle on your TiVo it will likely not be as stable

8. Mar 3, 2018 #8 of 36
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you have multiple Minis now connected via your Eero mesh, I'd be interested in whether you find a breaking point, whether simultaneous streaming sessions* begin to exhibit pixelization or connectivity issues.

Also because they're expecting a whole home setup to consist of a number of TiVo Minis.

* ideally of sports content off ESPN, since that's often the highest bitrate content

9. Mar 3, 2018 #9 of 36
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Interesting. I'm going to check that tonight. So far my highest bit-rate comes from CNBC. Surprised me too.

As for the topic. I can run three v2 Mini boxes from one basic Roamio using one wireless bridge. HD also. But you know that. I looked at the mesh world. A little pricey and more than I need. I need to try streaming three Amazon movies. But not today.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Heh, I *was* biasing the comment based on my own past recordings.

11. Dean Johnson

Dean Johnson Member

Nov 4, 2017
    I don’t expect to test that as I ran Ethernet everywhere years ago. After a few weeks to observe the stability I expect to return the mini to ethernet and move the Eero someplace else.

krkaufman likes this.
  12. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    This is funny, I'm currently trying a wireless extender that has an ethernet port tonight to see if it will connect to a Mini and it does ! (at 50mb speed).
    It's really cheap ($30 at Amazon) It did hicup a couple of times over a 1 hour show but it's a cheap option when cable or ethernet cable isn't available in older homes. Sounds like the Eero mesh system is the best way to go, if you can afford it.
    NETGEAR N300 WiFi Range Extender (EX2700).

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    i prefer dual band devices and have had good luck with used/ refurb Dlink DAP-1650's, plus they be configured as wireless bridges or AP's if you have an Ethernet connection, plus they have 4 Ethernet ports.
    d-link dap-1650 | eBay

Mikeguy, krkaufman and Dean Johnson like this.
  14. Dean Johnson

Dean Johnson Member

Nov 4, 2017
    The key is the distance between the units. If it's an extender then the distance from the base unit but if it's an Eero system then they can be "daisy chained" to reach farther. I have been in my house 30 years and started running ethernet years ago before we even had wifi because it was the only way to go. Today I know I would skip the ethernet and go Eero. I have bought some of my Eero units on Ebay and saved a bunch.

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You made me look. Seems ESPN is the highest bitrate of those I tested. Sadly, all my channels have been cut by about 10% since my last test.
    ESPN 12.93
    USA 12.57
    CNN 12.13
    NBC 11.67
    CBS 10.13
    All numbers are Mbps. This sucks.

Dean Johnson and krkaufman like this.
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Heh, that'd be a nice, optional feature of KMTTG. Keep a data file tracking historical bitrates and encodings for channels; with optional auto-recording and deletion to track channels not included in scheduled recordings. Maybe allow a checkbox selection of channels to track.

And, yeah, those numbers are a far cry from where we were just a couple years ago, assuming MPEG2 encodings. Sadface.

17. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I just ordered a 1650 and was wondering if it should be setup as a media server or AP ? (I'm ONLY using it for connection to a Mini in the next room). Streaming video is my concern.

18. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's not new information.
    I routinely recommend the use of a wireless bridge or wifi range extender with ethernet for minis and other members here do too.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Dean Johnson likes this.
  19. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Media server.

20. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Thanks !

Dean Johnson likes this.