Mini heat damage due to storage ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by nbsphil, Nov 5, 2018.

1. nbsphil

nbsphil New Member

Dec 20, 2017

Advertisements

I have 2 minis which worked perfectly until I moved. Had them in a storage unit for 2 months during the summer and it was hot in there, really hot. The problem is the signal from the remote doesn't seem to get accepted by the mini reliably. It's not the remote because I have 3 and all do the same, and the remote works the TV functions perfectly. No improvement even when holding the remote 1" away from the mini. Both minis do the exact same thing. Most of the time the remote LED shows a yellow LED but it goes orange or red if you press it 20-30 times and finally works until you let go of the button.....then it might work for the next few clicks, but usually have to press another 10-20 times.

Pretty freakin annoying to channel surf. LOL

I'm a EE and suspect some component or IR sensor drifted or was damaged by the heat causing low sensitivity by the mini. Took it apart hoping to find a trim pot to tweek but there was nothing...just wiped off the IR sensor which had some dust on it but no luck.

Any ideas?

PS: I'll even change the IR sensor if someone knows the manufacturer and part number

Thanks

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A92 or A93? If A93 have you checked the battery level in System Information? What was the level?

When running a Mini has an internal temperature of over 55C. When hitting TV or AVR button functions, like volume, an orange LED is normal.

Put the remote into IR mode with TiVo + "C". Still bad?

3. nbsphil

nbsphil New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    It's an A93. Pressed Tivo + 'C' and didn't see anything come up on the screen, was that supposed to happen?

Also...Looked at all the menus in the Tivo and didn't see anything called System Information. Is there a way to access that?

BTW, didn't see anything on the mini PCB that looked like a battery

Thanks

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo+C would put your remote into IR mode.
    TiVo+
    D toggles the remote to RF mode.

The remote can control the TiVo via either IR or RF, while all TV controls are sent using IR.

Good info in this TiVo help page.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

When you do this, nothing comes up on the screen. For the first, the light on the front of your remote will blink red three times, indicating it is now in IR mode. For the second, it will blink yellow three times, meaning RF mode. You don't even need to be in the same room as your TiVo to change the remote settings.

6. nbsphil

nbsphil New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Mystery solved...

Looks like it was in RF mode but not properly paired. Had to hold Tivo + 'C' for 3-5 seconds (until RED flashed) which looks like it switched it to IR mode.
    Now LED flashes red instantly screen control shows up immediately on the screen.

Thanks Guys

Phil

JoeKustra likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some help to reset the remote and get RF mode back: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions