1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini disconnecting fixed!

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dbperkins, Dec 1, 2017.

1. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    I have a Bolt plus and 2 mini's. The mini in the master bedroom would keep getting disconnected from the Bolt. The software update RC9 didn't help. It might go for hours and not have problems then the dreaded disconnect message. I narrow it down to my network. Modem is in the master bedroom with D-link router and Tp-link 8 port switch. Cat 5 is run to the living room to a 5 port switch and Tp-link router(DHCP disable). I patched a number of cat 5 cables together and ran down the hall to the mini. No more disconnect. I have a NEW 50 ft. cat 5 cable in the hall and things are great now. Tomorrow I have to run the cable under the carpet at the door ways. The only thing I can figure is the other cat 5 cable running to the living room has to much traffic on it at times. So the mini gets a little upset and displays the message about disconnect. The other mini never had the problem unless it was move to the master bedroom.

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Unless the cable is physically damaged, usually a cable problem is with the connectors, crimped down too hard, wrong style of connector teeth (solid vs stranded), or someone got the pin ordering incorrect.

3. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    All cables were pre-made. I switch cables around and could recreate the problem. It works now so I am going to leave it alone. The Boss(my wife) is happy.

4. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Active Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I use power line Ethernet and fixed my disconnect messages by upgrading from 1GB Netgear pieces to new 2GB TP-Link units.
    I blame the Arc Fault Circuit Interrupting breakers for high attenuation on the lines.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Powerline is always a crapshoot, just like wireless. You might find that your issues come back, might not.

6. lyee

lyee New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    My Tivo Mini disconnection problem was fixed after switching to MOCA for its connection. The MOCA was previously connected to a Verizon FIOS router and used to distribute ethernet and WiFi signals with the Mini connected to one of its ethernet ports. I tried both a fixed IP address and DHCP on the Mini but the disconnects never went away until I split the MOCA signal to feed the Mini and router separately. The additional splitter has not caused any negative effects and my Mini has been rock solid for a month now.
    As part of my troubleshooting efforts, I also tried replacing the Verizon router with an Actiontec MOCA adapter with a signal ethernet port connected to the Mini but the problem persisted.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Not trying to get you to rediagnose the problem, but you'd likely be able to re-use the old cable on something else if you re-crimp the ends with appropriate solid core or stranded connectors.

I do a lot of cable pulling, punchdown, and crimping because I don't like to have lots of excess cable lying around, just enough extra to make it convenient, and I have encountered most issues that are possible with cables.

Most problems are due to physical connection issues degrading the signal. Even if the cables are pre-made, sometimes the equipment applies extra force when crimping and some pin slots have different heights from the others, causing signaling issues. Having too much "traffic" on a cable wouldn't be an issue that would normally come up with CAT5 cables and your usage/testing scenario. Now if the cable itself is somehow damaged somewhere in between, that could be an issue.