Mini crashes while using Prime Video?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by scott_s, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Jul 31, 2018 #1 of 141
    scott_s

scott_s New Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I have a Mini (Hydra) connected via moca to a roamio OTA. I primarily use it to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. If I don't reboot it daily, the prime video app gets very laggy, the "loading" circle gets stuck in the middle of the screen, and the mini becomes mostly unresponsive to the remote. I used to do tech support back in the "good old" days of windows 3.1/windows95/NT and the experience feels very much like what would happen when an application would run amok and eat up so much of the RAM that there was insufficient free memory for the OS to run properly. Does anyone else experience this with their Mini? It doesn't seem to ever happen when I watch the Prime Video app from the Roamio OTA. The problem seems to be new with the Hydra interface, but I've had Hydra for some time now and the box is on the older side. I have read elsewhere that Mini bees are kinda designed to fail, could it be that? Buggy amazon app? Buggy Hydra? Could the roamio somehow be contributing? Anynoe else dealt with this?

2. Aug 1, 2018 #2 of 141
    leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I have the old tivo experience. I'm using a Romeo as the serving video I get the same with my mini also using moca. Prime app crashes mini forcing a reboot. Netflix app works fine

3. Aug 24, 2018 #3 of 141
    Dillon James

Dillon James New Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I'm having the same issue. I'm running Mini II's (3) with a Bolt + all connected over ethernet. All apps that I use, work on the Bolt. However, Prime video allows me to log in and select a show but will buffer for about three minutes and then reboot. This happens on all my Mini's. They are all Hydra. Netflix works fine.

4. Aug 25, 2018 #4 of 141
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A93 Mini using TE3 just watched 60 minutes of Prime without any problems. I have a Mini VOX that I can test if needed, but no TE4 host at this time. Content was 1080p/24 DD5.1 also.

5. Aug 25, 2018 #5 of 141
    Goodbar_x

Goodbar_x New Member

Sep 17, 2016
    I have this same problem, I have 4 Tivo Mini's + 1 Tivo Bolt, all with the updated interface and all connected over Ethernet. The Prime Video app works fine on the Tivo Bolt, but if I try to watch content on Prime Video on any of the Tivo Mini's, about 90% of the time, it will completely lock up and I'll have to unplug the power to the Mini and plug it back in to reboot it. After that, the Prime Video app will work, but of course HIGHLY ANNOYING TO HAVE TO DO THAT. The other 10% of the time, the video will play, but lags considerably, the circle stays in the middle of the video and as long as I don't try to pause, rewind/fast forward, it plays the video (closed captioning lags way behind though and catches up after about 10 minutes).

Do the new Tivo Vox Mini's have this problem too? Or what can we do to fix this???

6. Aug 25, 2018 #6 of 141
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't provide a fix, but here are my observations. When watching real time TV or recordings, the data is continuous. It would seem to be the biggest stress test for the network. When watching an Amazon video, the data comes in chunks. It's not contiguous. My Mini units all work through wireless bridges so I can watch the LEDs.

On the router: disable IGMP Proxying and QoS. If a smart switch is used, disable IGMP Snooping. Since the last fix for YouTube with TE4, I have been able to stream YouTube for hours on my Mini VOX. I may rollback my Mini VOX tomorrow and test it with Prime. I don't have a TE4 host right now.

7. Nov 17, 2018 #7 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    I've been experiencing the same thing for the past year or so. I can't remember if it was after updating to Hydra or not, but my suspicion is it has more to do with the actual amazon app than Hydra. The previous version of the Prime app worked flawlessly. I further suspect that the processing power, RAM, and cache on the mini (I have 2 A93s) is just not powerful enough any longer to handle the poorly designed (probably resource inefficient) software. I am going to try to see if the VOX mini is better specked to handle Prime. I suspect it's a hardware resource issue because my Roamio Pro handles the same Prime software perfectly. Restarting the minis works for a while, likely because you force the cache to clear at that point. So on both ends (Tivo and Amazon) they could probably fix the mini issue with a software update to the app. But I highly doubt that will happen. Definitely not if enough people don't complain about it, and I don't think we have that sort of base. Maybe if it's reviewed in a tech journal or popular website?

Live streaming works perfect for me over Moca or ethernet. Tivo tech support is garbage now. They don't know how to troubleshoot and isolate a problem at all, and though they appear nice and polite at first, they get arrogant pretty quickly and talk over you if you start telling them something smart which suggests that you may know more than they do. I directly asked them if they read from a script last time we spoke...I was told there is a resource that they refer to.

It sucks that Tivo ditched its quality workers like this to cut costs. I'll bet their previous techs left out all the good diagnostics from the literature that these hoax techs are referencing.

8. Nov 21, 2018 #8 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Update, I purchased a Tivo VOX mini and so far it's impressive. The speed of the UI noticeably outpaces that of the mini 2. Everything is snappy from Tivo home to live tv to any app. Apps seem like they are a part of the native OS the way they load. I will play around with it for a few days to see if it crashes, but my suspicion is it will be fine. I tried to tell Tivo tech support that this really looks like a device issue where the older minis are not spec'd to handle the latest software (or the software isn't written to optimize the older hardware - whichever way you wanna look at it). They continued to tell me about how I must have messed up my moca connection OR ethernet connection (I have both coax and Cat 6 UTP running to all TV points) even though everything else in the Tivo experience works except for the streaming apps on the minis.

Tivo's customer service and tech support really went down the drain in the last year or so. Something's gotta give.

P.S. I also noticed a change in the startup splash screen today. Was there a software update? Oh, and the VOX is missing the iHeart Radio app if that's important to you. Still has Pandora though. (Pic is before I hooked up the VOX mini). IMG_20181121_1038169.jpg

9. Nov 21, 2018 #9 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    WE can't do anything to fix it. Amazon and/or Tivo have to address it with a software update for the previous gen minis. VOX mini seems to work well so far. Will update in a week to see if it bogs down and crashes.

10. Nov 23, 2018 #10 of 141
    SteveDC

SteveDC New Member

Jun 11, 2015
    The Amazon app on the Mini has always been a complete PoS for me. This is on both original and second gen Minis.
    The whole "restart your router" etc... is bollocks. I have GBit wired connections to 200M internet and ONLY the Tivo Minis have issues. The Amazon app on Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV, XBox, Playstation all work flawlessly, even when wireless.
    This is ABSOLUTELY a Tivo Mini issue.
    Network connections should NEVER be able to completely crash a system even if that is the root cause!!!
    I would contemplate the new Mini, but won't risk throwing more good money after bad.
    Tivo used to be the golden standard, but now their software is beyond amateurish!!!
    Hydra is awful!!! Tried it for about a week hoping it would fix the Amazon (and Plex) issues, but nope, exact same PoS.
    To anyone contemplating Tivo for their integrated experience... forget it. The apps are just too unstable. I have to completely power cycle my Minis at least once every few hours of watching and constantly get errors and remote lagging (10 seconds+) when using the Amazon app.
    A real shame since there is so much potential there!!!

DocNo likes this.
  11. Nov 23, 2018 #11 of 141
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have used A93 and A95 Mini units with Amazon Prime and YouTube without network errors of any kind.

12. Nov 23, 2018 #12 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    The VOX mini really has been a completely different (positive) experience for me. But I'll update after about a week of use. What I find so far is snappy response with zero lag and load/buffer times of maybe 3-5 seconds. I actually wish there were some way to view the specs of all mini models, including processor and RAM. I'm 100% sure there's a big difference between the A93 and A95. It's clear from usage.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  13. Nov 28, 2018 #13 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    After a week of solid performance from the A95, I bought a second one to replace my other A93. Both A95's are running without a hitch and the menus are even smoother/load faster than the Roamio Pro. Upgrading to A95s should be a solid solution for TiVo mini appcrashgate.

14. Nov 28, 2018 #14 of 141
    leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Curious to hear what your issues are with Plex? The only thing keeping me back from buying a mini Vox was to wait and see if it's supported 1080p Plex. no one here seems to know. I presume audio is also limited using Plex app on TiVo. That is no surround sound formats or HD audio

15. Nov 28, 2018 #15 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    I'll look into it later. Maybe this weekend.

16. Dec 22, 2018 #16 of 141
    bigcat

bigcat Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Wauwatosa
    Reset the Mini, clear all settings and re-run guided setup. Worked for me, but I have to it about every 6 months

17. Dec 23, 2018 #17 of 141
    okay_see

okay_see New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Worked for you, but not for most of us. Been there, tried that, same buggy results. I'm open to the fact that there will be outlier success stories.

18. Jan 28, 2019 #18 of 141
    RyanGorney

RyanGorney New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I have six minis (four a93’s and two a95’s), my parents who live one city over have a similar setup. All of our a93’s either freeze, sputter, or keep a frozen open cicle on the screen when trying to play video on prime. If I reboot the device it may work for about 24h but then reverts to the same problems. Our a95’s however work flawlessly. This all started with Hydra and I was forced to upgrade to hydra when I added the a95’s. Being a technologies myself there is clearly an incompatibility between the a93 hardware and the hydra interface + prime software. Upon calling tivo support I found the folks polite but unimpowered. They offered to swap my a93 for another a93 and a $30 charge. I informed them that this would not solve the problem. They stated the case is still under review with developers. While purchasing a95’s would resolve this I’m not willing to shell out that money and possibly run into this issues again a few years down the road.

Does anyone have suggestions? I found Tivo’s head of software quality on LinkedIn and emailed him on our behalf. I’ll let this group know what I hear.

19. Jan 28, 2019 #19 of 141
    RyanGorney

RyanGorney New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Here is a pic of the frozen circle I get.

Attached Files:

20. Jan 28, 2019 #20 of 141
    Hichhiker

Hichhiker Just me.

Apr 21, 2002
    Seen same issues and more with apps - but wanted to add that this happens on many "apps" - including Netflix and Plex, but it does seems to happen a lot more often with Amazon Prime app. All of this started happening since Hydra started, but been getting progressively worse lately.

To add to that, after an increase in failures and freezes, one of my Mini's (most used one) died completely, and no longer boots at all :-(