Mini can't see Roamio all of a sudden

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jtonra, Mar 11, 2021.

1. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...

Advertisements

Starting this morning for no apparent reason, my mini can not see the roamio. Network connectivity is fine as indicated by the network test. Roamio itself is also fine. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    Updating this for the benefit of future folks who might run into this problem.

TL;DR I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with support and the problem is not resolved.

They had me go through the usual steps - reboot the box, reboot the network, etc. He seemed to think the problem was caused by not having "Network Remote Control" enabled - which is obviously NOT the problem. However, I humored him by enabling it on all the boxes, then unplugging all the boxes, then restarting my router and restarting all the boxes. As I fully expected, nothing changed.

We then went and looked at my Account & System Info screen and discovered that i had no Media Access Key which I'm pretty sure is the real cause of the problem here. The rep poked at some other settings here and determined (claimed) that my main Tivo is missing 3 software packages. WTF? How does this just happen? According to the rep, the last time my box had a software update was in January. The proposed solution is that he needs to escalate this to another group who can get the necessary software pushed down to my Tivo. He said this will take 2-3 business days. Again - WTF? I'm hopeful that this will actually get the problem solved but won't know for awhile I guess.

I've been a Tivo loyalist since all the back at Series One but this may be the end of the line for me.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Kudos for "TL;DR" placement. ;) I chuckle when I see it added *after* the full post.

Hope you can get the MAK sorted, and that it resolves your symptoms.

5. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...

Advertisements

And another update.

Being the impatient person I am, I almost immediately forced a connection to Tivo and was rewarded with the reinstatement of my MAK and resolution of the problem. Bottom line, if you run into this problem and you don't see a "Media Access Key" entry on your "Account & System Info" screen that is likely the problem. You may be able to short circuit the troubleshooting run around with support if you tell them this or you might not. In any event, it does appear that a call to support is required to correct this problem.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
  7. timmie88

timmie88 New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I just turned on my Tivo mini this morning to the same problem, it's on a TV I rarely use, so it's probably been a month or so since it was last used. Tried rebooting both the roamio and the mini with no luck, finally came online to search and found this, and forced a service update on the mini, and that fixed the problem (note network troubleshooting and testing the network connection did nothing except confirm there was no networking issue). So I don't think you need to call support, just force a service update on the mini to fix the issue.

krkaufman likes this.