Mini can't connect to Main Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by clavenY56, Sep 23, 2020.

1. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020

Advertisements

I have a TV mini and a main Tivo (BOLT VOX) connected via ethernet. I've had issues where the mini could not connect to the main tivo, intermittently. This persisted, but was not using it much so didn't do much about it. Then I updated my wifi to a TP Link Mesh Deco P9 system. I was able to get the Mini connected to the network and it succeeded. The main TIVO was succeeded in connecting. The Mini still throws the error it can't connect to the main tivo. I look under devices and it list the main tivo, but states it's disconnected.

I did remove on network switch, no change. The main tivo is connected my a ethernet cable to the nework switch, which is connected directly to the main Deco unit. The tivo mini is also connected to the same network switch.

I'm not sure how to fix this?

Am I missing some information?

Thanks,

D

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Do you not have coax connectivity between the rooms?

3. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    No, you mean the MoCa set up?

I do have the main one connected to the antenna via the coax.

D

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    To that end, yes, but I was limiting my question to available coax connections in each room, whether used or unused.

Is the antenna in-room or is the antenna installed elsewhere? Does the Mini room have a coax outlet (used or unused)?

5. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020

Advertisements

Can I get it to work with the ethernet connection, or abdaon that and go with the MoCa set up? I don't understand how they can both be connected but the mini states the bolt is disconnected? Is the Wifi or the router causing this?

Questions about MoCa setup.....
    I have antenna coming into the house from the basement, goes the Bolt Tivo via coax upstairs in another room. The mini does have an available MoCa coax connection, this is in the basement.
    I don't really understand how to connect them all together, the use of the bridge or when that is needed.
    How do I connect the Mini, Bolt to the coax? Is there a diagram for that?

Antenna to a splitter, then one to the Mini and the other to the Bolt. Then both get connected via ethernet to the network.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I need to reread your original post. I’m not sure that I didn’t completely misinterpret it.

7. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    I would change to a MoCa set up if that would work.

d

8. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    Any advice to get the Mini to recognize the Bolt? Or, to make the Bolt not disconnected in the view of the Mini?

D

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, so it sounds like the Mini and TiVo DVR are both connected directly to the same network switch, to which your router (now a TP Link Mesh Deco P9) is also connected. This is a simple Ethernet-only setup. Yes?

What is the brand & model # of this network switch? And what specific error messages or codes do you see when the Mini loses connectivity?

Short of a problem with the network cabling (wire itself or the terminations), one possibility is that your network switch may be exhibiting symptoms seen with "green" switches (e.g.) or when IGMP Snooping is enabled on a switch (e.g.).

p.s. Alternatively, one bizarre workaround that people have tried is renaming their devices, paired with subsequent TiVo service connections.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FMI... Background info on the Deco P9 (for myself) from the TP-Link support site (link) ...
    • Powerline Backhaul: The Powerline Deco P9 adds a third lane for data to travel through, similar to a Tri-band mesh router, to create stronger connections between Deco units and increase the network's overall performance, eliminating signal interference from walls and other objects.
    More on the Powerline Backhaul from the FAQ, here. It looks like the product can establish a mesh backhaul via any of Wi-Fi, Powerline or Ethernet; Wi-Fi & Powerline backhaul can co-exist, but Ethernet supercedes both.

edit: Nevermind, self, per later post stating the router is the Deco M9.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  11. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    The switch is a Trendnet TEG-S50G
    Yes, all three are connected to the Switch: Bolt, Mini and Deco M9. I misspoke, it's a M9, Deco. TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Tri-Band Wi-Fi System.

I thought it was the cabling also, so I pulled a new one up to the Bolt, no change.

I don't get an error message per se.... in that both the Mini and Bolt show they are connected to the network, so technically I don't lose connectivity.

I get an error when I try to watch anything on the Mini: C421 The XYZ Tivo Box cannot be found.
    Then when I go to the Device area on the Mini it shows the XYZ Tivo Box Bolt and shows it's disconnected. (when it is connected to the network).

D

12. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Clear the Mini completely and then go through guided setup again. Once completed, reboot the Bolt and reboot the Mini.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  14. obeythelaw2004

obeythelaw2004 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    I'm having a similar problem where one of my Minis has stopped communicating to my Tivo Roamio. I restarted it a number of times and nothing. I took the suggestion of repeating guided setup but the Mini won't let me. As it starts the set up it comes back and says that the Tivo Mini is attempting to connect to the Tivo service or something like that. But it never does. Any advice?

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Swap locations between Minis (move good Mini to suspect location, suspect Mini to currently "good" location).

Temporarily move the suspect Mini to the router location and see if its connectivity improves using a direct Ethernet connection to the router’s LAN.

Separately, you'd want to provide details on your TiVo setup.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  16. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    Now it says “tivo DVR not found” on guided set up.

d

17. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  19. clavenY56

clavenY56 New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    That one says, Green Technology.
    I can't seem to find a switch that does not says something about green tech.....
    It can't be that.
    I changed out another switch for the one I was using (unfortunately the exam same model) and no change.

If I use a MoCa connection network will that work?

d

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It should, at least if the network switch is causing the issues.

Actually, many a thread and post indicate that it *can* be that. Note, also, that the TrendNet "green" switches seemed especially problematic in that linked thread, so another vendor's "green" may not be as problematic.

e.g. This user appears to have used the 8-port version of the model I recommended above.

What other switch model did you try?

edit: p.s. Curiously, the 8-port model is $2 cheaper.