Mini & Bolt / Skip Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by SrLANGuy, Oct 17, 2015.

1. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001

Advertisements

I've had a TiVo Roamio & Mini for nearly 2 years. Yesterday, I setup my new TiVo Bolt. On all three devices, I forced several connections to the TiVo servers and I rebooted them all several times. My TiVo Mini eventually upgraded from version 20.5.2a-01-6-A92 to version 20.5.4.RC6-01-6-A92.

On the Mini, if I set the "TiVo Box Connection" to the Bolt, the shows display the SKIP icon and the SkipMode feature works just like it does on the Bolt itself.

But, when I set the Mini's "TiVo Box Connection" to the Roamio, I can't get SkipMode to work on shows from the TiVo Bolt. I go into "My Shows", scroll to the bottom of the list, select the TiVo Bolt, and then start playing one of the shows with the SKIP icon. But I don't get the message regarding SkipMode and the D button (and Channel Up and Down) doesn't do anything.

So, it appears that if you want to use SkipMode on your TiVo Mini, you must set your "TiVo Box Connection" to the TiVo Bolt itself. :-(

I hope they come out with another update for the TiVo Mini which fixes this.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    That's because when you select the Roamio as the host and then browse over to the Bolt's recordings you're still going through the Roamio to the Bolt, not directly to the Bolt like when that device is the host.

3. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Once I scroll to the bottom of the "My Shows" list and select the TiVo Bolt, you would think that the shows would stream directly from the Bolt to the Mini (not Bolt --> Roamio --> Mini). If the Mini displays the SKIP icon, you would assume that the SkipMode feature is going to work. Sadly, that's not the case.

NOTE: I need to leave the Roamio set as the main host so when I go to live TV, my Mini uses one of the SIX tuners on the Roamio (not one of the FOUR tuners on the Bolt).

4. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001
    So just to recap: If you currently have a TiVo Mini with the "DVR Connection" set to a TiVo Roamio, you can still watch the shows from a TiVo Bolt (which do show the SKIP indicator), but you can't actually use the SkipMode function. But if you change the TiVo Mini's "DVR Connection" to your TiVo Bolt, you CAN use the SkipMode function.

Can someone from TiVo tell me if this will change? I want to leave the "DVR Connection" set to my Roamio because it has more tuners available.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Yes that's what I'm seeing as well. I too would like to see that added. I'd also like to see the ability to stream shows from the Bolt to the Roamio and retain SkipMode.

6. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    It takes less than 15 seconds to change host DVR's so its not a huge inconvenience, but I suppose it would be nice to not have to do it at all.

7. Sf_theater

Sf_theater New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    My mini has the 20.5.4rc6-01-6-a93, is connected to my bolt and does not have the skip function.

Anyone have any ideas on how to enable?

8. shoeboo

shoeboo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Safety...
    I was having same issue, Tivo support said there was an issue with the software I had and enabled my mini to download the new updated software. Skip now works.
    Link to Twitter conversation

9. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001
    I had to force numerous connections to the TiVo Service and perform several restarts on both my Bolt and my Mini before I got the SKIP icons to appear on my Mini. But then I still couldn't get SkipMode to work. Finally I found that if I changed the "TiVo DVR Connection" setting on my Mini from my Roamio to my Bolt, SkipMode worked. Unfortunately, I don't want to leave it that way because when I watch LIVE TV on my Mini, it would use one of the FOUR TUNERS on my Bolt instead of one of the SIX TUNERS on my Roamio. Changing the setting is pretty easy:

Settings & Message > Settings > Remote & Devices > TiVo DVR Connection > Roamio or Bolt

But it's not so easy to change when connected to the Mini using a Slingbox (which I use often for live sports).

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sure it's just as easy to change. It just takes longer because of the lag.

11. roseodonnell

roseodonnell New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Didn't know where else to say this, but I LOVE Skip Mode and wanted to thank Tivo for implementing it! It is SO cool! More of it, please!!! :)

12. JTHOJNICKI

JTHOJNICKI Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago Suburbs
    I love Skipmode too. Glad I dumped Dish just before AutoHop got further neutered by Fox.