Mini and MoCA filter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Netmouse, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Netmouse

Netmouse New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    The cable entry point to the apartment is in a distant room. Nothing is connected to it.

I put the MoAC filter in the living room where the main TIVO bolt vox is. I have a mini in the bedroom. Does that need a second filter?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It shouldn't...

You know a MoCA filter blocks MoCA, right?

You're using your TiVo for OTA?

-KP

3. Netmouse

Netmouse New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    A cable system, not OTA.

You are right. I took the filter off and the mini works fine. Both mini and dvr are connected to their room's wall coaxial connection. They only saw each other when a MoCA was set up via the dvr. I read the MoCA is created on the internet and needs the filter (in an apartment setting, too).

Interesting to me, when the mini did not work, my laptop was fine. When I removed the modem to see what happened now with the mini working, the mini stayed fine while the laptop had no access to the internet.

So what is going on? How do I install the filter?

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You should give us a sketch of your system/wiring... provide as much detail as you can?

-KP

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Who is your ISP? Do you have a gateway, a combo modem/router/phone device from the ISP? Make and model if so.
    In most apartment setups, each unit is fed separately from a common wiring closet, often on the side of a building. In those types of setups, the MoCA filter is installed at the source of the coax in that closet or enclosure.
    If you don't have access to such an access point, you may need to contact the ISP to have them install a MoCA filter for you. Unless your apartment is all daisy changed from one outlet to another, there will be no place in the apartment to install a MoCA filter.
    If you go without a MoCA filter properly installed, you could be sharing everything on your network with one or more neighbors, unless you use encryption on your MoCA network.

6. Netmouse

Netmouse New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    OK. I'll contact the community IT guy. We have a special ISP triple-play for the community, not a well-known like Verizon or Comcast. I'll ask questions like where in the apt building is entry from the cable co (versus my just putting the filter on my splitter to my TIVO dvr and modem). And about choosing any number for encrypting my MoCA set-up.

Thanks.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Have you checked with the ISP to make sure cable cards are available?

8. Netmouse

Netmouse New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    Our community system does not use cable cards. Prior to TIVO, we just plug in and it works. I'll ask our IT guy on Monday. Others here have TIVO.

9. Netmouse

Netmouse New Member

Nov 29, 2019
    You were all right. The IT guy is back from vaca. There is the closet in the hall (the outer apt hallway) where he will install my POE filter. Shoulda waited to post here. Thanks for some valuable info.

kpeters59 likes this.