Mind Control with Derren Brown - S01E01 - OAD 7/26/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by danterner, Jul 27, 2007.

1. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    There's some discussion on this show here, but now that the episode has aired I thought I'd create a thread. I saw the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. I was hoping that more of the show would be like the final segment with the ad wizards, where Derren "shows his hand" and explains more of the set-up to us, the audience. As it stands, a lot of the mind control tricks just went unexplained, like the thing with the conductor.

Anyone care to guess how he was able to guess what the conductor was conducting? Here's my thought:

There were probably relatively few "conductable" pieces on his multi-page list (pieces that would likely appeal to the conductor). Then, he probably did something to make those few "conductable" pieces stand out on the list. Maybe they were slightly bolded, or slightly indented on the list, or spaced differently - whatever. Just something to subconsciously draw the eye to them. Say that narrows the list of possible choices to 3 that the conductor is likely to select between. Of those, two start slowly, one starts uptempo. The conductor starts an uptempo piece and so Derren is able to guess it correctly. With the slow pieces, he has a 50/50 shot, and actually guessed wrong but then re-guessed and got it right.

2. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I also enjoyed the show. I saw him on YouTube play chess with 9 master level or higher people, and it was amazing. I wish they would have explained them as well like they did the last one. Simply amazing how the mind works with suggestion.

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    My SP didn't pick this one up for some reason. I had no idea it had aired. Off to check the ToDo and the SP...

4. stalemate

stalemate McGruber

Aug 21, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    It airs first on Sci-Fi and then later on USA. Maybe your SP is set up for USA.

5. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Exactly what it was! Made the change to Sci-Fi. :cool:

6. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Also showing on Bravo, I believe.

7. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    The set-up shown to us was extremely unlikely the way he actually accomplished the trick. I've seen other magicians do the "I'll write something and put it in this envelope, you come up with something, then open the envelope and see that I match it" trick. No subliminal messages necessary.

That being said, he's clearly an accomplished magician (or mentalist, more accurately), and I'll continue to watch his show because I enjoy well-performed magic and he admits it's trickery, rather than pretending he has mystical powers like so many of the charlatans you see on television these days...

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I watched the show, had a tough time getting into it.
    Paid with blank paper...swiped some wallets and stuff. No real rhyme or reason to do it, just didn't pack much suspense for me.
    I'll check it out again...hopefully the next episode gives me some incentive to be interested.

9. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Sep 30, 2000

Derren Brown doesn't do tricks. His huge brain is an encyclopedia, plus he's able to employ methods of suggestion learned from the mentalism masters.