Min reboot loop at "welcome! starting up..."

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by marklyn, May 31, 2015.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    So last week my master bedroom mini was in a reboot loop at the "Welcome! Starting up..." screen. Nothing I tried fixed the problem, called Tivo and they couldn't get it working as well. They had me temporarily hook up my guest bedroom mini, which of course worked and I left it that way until I got a replacement for the master bedroom.
    Now, today, my guest room mini is doing the same thing after I hooked it up for the first time. Reboot loop at the welcome screen.
    I'm apprehensive about calling Tivo again since they initially seemed reluctant to replace my mini for my master bedroom at a minimal cost and transferred/waived the lifetime service to the replacement.

I'll keep futzing with it but I'm afraid I'm going to have to call again. This doesn't bode well with me. My Roamio and two mini's are only 18 months new, with over $1000 investment in equipment and lifetime service on everything. I didn't realize that if one died I'd have to buy a new lifetime. Could this be the life expectancy for a mini?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

*update* I've rebooted my Roamio, unplugged everything from mini, still in reboot loop.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Check your Tivo account and see if both the new and old mini are activated. Other thoughts, force a connection to Tivo with your Roamio.
    Put the guest mini back in your bedroom and see if it will boot there.
    Did you just buy another mini directly from Tivo? The minis are substantially cheaper from Ebay or Amazon, the V1 / 92000 $108, V2 /93000 are $137.32. All mini's have lifetime included now.
    Invest in one or more UPS and use them for your Tivo equipment.

With your luck, consider buying some lottery tickets.

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Everything on the Tivo account looks good. The Master BD mini did work in place of the guest BD mini, I just forgot to mention that in my original thread.

But, now it's working. After messing with it for about 2 hours, I had to run some errands, so I kept it unplugged during my errands, around 2 hours. When I got back and plugged it in, it booted up as it normally does. I don't know if this will 'hold' but for now it works and without any explanation.

Arggh. I hate stuff like this. I like stuff that just works. Period.

4. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Well that didn't last but maybe an hour of use. Ran an errand, came back and it's back to the "Welcome! Starting up..." loop again.

bleh. looks like I have to call Tivo.

5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    They're now saying that my SN numbers on my Roamio are too high (41-46) and that's causing my issues!
    My signal strength on all of my channels (0-5) is 100%
    My SNR on each channel is between 40-46.
    The RS corrected/uncorrected for all of my channels is zero.

They're recommending attenuaters to bring down the SNR to 30-35 range.

Does this make sense? I recall having these same numbers, especially the SNR numbers, for the past 18 months I've had this equipment.

I'm not confident of this solution but I'm going to get 3 anntenuaters like he suggested. Thoughts appreciated.

6. Jun 2, 2015 #6 of 19
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How would that have any effect on the Mini? The Mini only grabs a tuner and displays live TV if you press the live TV button. It should have zero effect on the boot up.

It sounds to me like it's overheating.

7. Jun 2, 2015 #7 of 19
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I agree. As it turns out, Tivo is replacing my mini. But none of this was working in my head.

8. Jun 4, 2015 #8 of 19
    CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    The mini has an external power supply which removes one of the main sources of overheating in electronic equipment. And the mini does not have a cooling fan to fail and cause overheating. So if your minis are overheating, either Tivo designed the passive cooling system to be quite marginal, or the environment they're in is hard on passive cooling devices (e.g. very dusty, no room for convective airflow).

When computers exhibit this kind of symptom, the culprit is often the power supply. So perhaps the underlying culprit is the external power supply. Did Tivo have you try the power supply from the master bedroom mini on the guest bedroom mini that was in the reboot loop?

9. Jun 4, 2015 #9 of 19
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The power brick could be the culprit. could also be that the passive cooling system on the CPU was not attached correctly or there is a bad capacitor.

Getting a new one is probably the best bet. Luvkily with a Mini swapping them out is easy. Unlike a TiVo where you have to move all your shows, SPs, etc... to the new unit.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If the switching out the mini did not include the power brick, I think it totally makes sense. Why else would a working box in a new location suddenly fail? Most likely its something with the location- weird signal and power issues were my initial thoughts.

11. monchi123

monchi123 New Member

Aug 5, 2016
    BOOT LOOP = BAD HARD DRIVE replace with any 3.5 or 2.5 inch SATA II hard drive up to 3 TB in cpacity.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Quite a trick. I figure a Mini can sit on top of a hard drive. Might give it better ventilation.

13. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Member

Jul 19, 2018
    No hard drive in a Mini, that I'm aware of

14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Dumb and dumber.

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I sawed my Mini in half and used a hammer to jam a hard drive into it, and it still won't boot. What do I do now? I've been waiting for an answer for 3 years, the last time there was a post in this thread.

16. youngtheking

youngtheking New Member

May 2, 2015
    One of my minis just got boot looped. That is 2nd time I have got. I think auto updates causes the boot loop and I couldn’t disable the auto update. That is pretty the TiVo forces updates to all TiVo systems. I think we should get free replacements if any of the TiVo ends up boot loop.

17. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas

I know this is an old post, but I have had this argument with Tivo Support in the past about an high SNR. An SNR ratio cannot be too high. To say that they want an lower SNR is saying you need to introduce some noise into the signal. (SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio.)

18. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Comcast requires that the SNR be in the 40's before a Tech can close the ticket...

-KP

buildersboy66 likes this.
  19. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    One way to get out of this loop is make sure no coax cable is attached. Retry until boot and setup sticks. If you can get to reset menu quickly in the midst of this do that too without coax cable.