Mildred Pierce: OAD 3/27 Parts one and two

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by efilippi, Mar 30, 2011.

1. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    My wife and I are really enjoying this series, the new HBO miniseries starring Kate Winslet and a host of others. Which prompts my first point: The opening credits didn't 'star' Winslet, nor 'and...' her, but put her name last, in the largest type I think I've ever seen on tv. :p cool.

The glimpse of life in California in the early 30's is very intriguing, to me. I constantly ask Where'd they get all those old cars? and lonely two-lane empty bits of highway. Wonderful.

I haven't read the book but find the story interesting and involving. I like the Winslet character a lot (Mildred, of course) and enjoy seeing her becoming an independent woman.

I have trouble with the pacing. I understand that there are varying amounts of time that have passed between scenes but it seems jarring to me in some cases. I can't put my finger on what's wrong but maybe the problem is that TV shows don't normally span weeks or months during an hour's performance? Not sure.

Anyway, I am looking forward to part three next week.

Is/was The Grippe really that bad a disease?

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I was expecting more based on the critical acclaim. It's not bad just not particularly compelling. I know the story gets more interesting moving forward. The remaining daughter was quite a pill in the Joan Crawford version. Wonder how close they're going to follow that version.

3. efilippi

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    She's quite a pill already, in this version!

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I will look for the original movie.

5. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I love the original movie, but I don't get HBO so I have to wait till it's maybe on netflix or such. Just how much it is the show following the movie? I haven't read the book.

6. Apr 1, 2011 #6 of 26
    efilippi

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I haven't seen the movie but one significant difference must be that the first two episodes of the HBO version had a running time probably equal to the entire movie. I would guess that HBO must be going into more detail. We are a third of the way through and Mildred's youngest daughter has just died. Where did that happen in the movie?

7. Apr 2, 2011 #7 of 26
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Grippe = Influenza , so yes, can be pretty bad :(

Looking forward to watching this, DVRed it, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. ;)

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 26
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'll continue to watch.

Not exactly high praise, right?

I liked it, but it was a little too long and boring in many spots. I kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen and when something finally did (e.g. the girl dying), it felt rushed!

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 26
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I liked it. I'd like to think that the initial episode had a lot more 'set up' than there w/b in the following eps. BTW, I think we're only half-way through, no?

Every now and then I would actually see a bit of Joan Crawford in Kate's look. I think she's doing a good job. If anything, she is dialing it back a tiny bit too much. I'm not loving the actor who plays Veda. Maybe, as the character grows up, she will get better (or be replaced with another actor. heh). I don't know why - I guess it's just a tough act to follow. I think that Kate, OTOH, is doing a very good job with her character portrayal.

10. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Intensely dislike Veda. What a horrid child she is. Why couldn't she have had the grippe? Not a big fan of Monty either.

11. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    My wife and I were cracking up over the credits. Watching, thinking they didn't mention Kate Winslett, that's weird. Then

KATE WINSLETT

It was fairly ridiculous.

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Especially if they misspelled her name like that...

13. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, well, that's the premise...Mildred desperately wants Veda's approval, but Veda is only in it for herself.

I had to look online to see if this was a true story. Veda is a piece of work.

14. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Mildred is the real problem. Worst mother EVER. She brings new meaning to the word "spoiling" a child.

15. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    She's a classic enabler. First her husband, then Veda and then Monty.

16. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    So we decided to watch this based on Ebert Presents At The Movies high recommendation. I am utterly bored. I never saw the Crawford version, but it's gotta be better than this drawn out mess.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I came in here to see if I should go back and watch this OnDemand. I'm thinking not. Seems like the type of show that might be on Lifetime. Not that I'm totally adverse to a melodrama geared toward women, but from the reviews here and elsewhere, it just sounds REALLY boring.

18. efilippi

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    To each his own, of course, and this is a long and deliberate mini-series, not to everyone's taste. But I found it to be a compelling story, a mom's fight for her daughter, well acted and beautifully filmed.

In the words of the tv critic at Salon: "This miniseries is a masterpiece."

I predict many will give it another try after it wins all the awards at next year's Emmys.

19. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    1. Yet another reason why I distrust critics. Well acted <> interesting.
    2. People who wait for awards to tell them what to watch aren't an audience worth reaching.

20. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It may have been well acted, but I found the story far from interesting. There was almost no character development -- the characters at the end seemed to be pretty much where they were at the beginning as far as their flaws and misconceptions.