Migrating from Series 1 to Series 2 - Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by flaminio99, Jan 24, 2006.

1. flaminio99

flaminio99 New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I looked around, but didn't really find specific answers to my questions, so apologize if something is in fact out there.

I've got an old Sony Series 1 Tivo that I think is 3 or maybe 4 years old... losing count. I noticed on Tivo's Website they have a 40 hour series 2 for $30 after rebate. Thinking that this Tivo is getting long in the tooth, plus wanting a Tivo in the home gym is making me think about picking one up. I got a couple questions though and hoping someone can shed some light on them...

#1 - HD Upgrade. I've got a 100 GB drive in the old Tivo. Could I just clear out all the shows on the old Tivo, and put that drive in the new one? Or do I have to do something with the drive?

#2 - I think I can, but just to be sure, can the old Tivo still be used without the guide?

#3 - The $30 deal includes a commitment of 12 months of Tivo service. Just curious, has anyone tried to talk Tivo into letting you get two machines with a single 24 month commitment?

#4 - Eventually I'd like to get a second series 2 machine so I can share shows between machines. Do both Tivos need to have a Tivo service to do this?

Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    1. There's no point in reusing an old 100GB drive. It has more value in the S1. You could put a 300 or 400 GB drive in a new S2 if you wanted to. Upgrading a S2 is similar to an S1.

2. Probably. A few Sonys were made late enough that they came with version 2.0 from the factory and require a sub, but most came with 1.3 and can be used without a sub..

3. No clue.

4. Yes. Besides, you need service to record.

3. flaminio99

flaminio99 New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Thanks for your reply. That drive does have value to me. One, I don't have to buy a new drive, two I would have the same storage as I do now, with which I've never exceeded, and finally I've got a Mac and there doesn't appear to be a way to bless the drive in OS X.

So, anyone know if a series 1 drive will work in a series 2 machine by just swapping them out?

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Nope, it won't work.