Migrating from Comcast X1 DVR to TiVo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MikeekiM, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

What is the right process for migrating from an X1 DVR to a TiVo Roamio without experiencing too much downtime?

I am going to try to give it a guess, and I'd love some feedback from those who have gone through the process properly...

1. Procure all TiVo hardware (Roamio + Mini)
    2. Request and pick up CableCard from local Comcast office (keeping X1 hardware for the time being)?
    3. Disconnect X1 Hardware
    4. Connect TiVo Hardware
    5. Provision CableCard via phone call to Comcast
    6. Return X1 Hardware to local Comcast office

Is that about right? Can I keep the X1 hardware while I get my TiVo and CableCard provisioned?

Do I need to call and order my CableCard first, or do the local Comcast offices have CableCards ready for pick up on demand?

2. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    That's the method I used when migrating from an old Comcast DVR (never had X1). A few suggestions:

I kept the old Comcast hardware for one week. It only took a few days to know the TiVo was a keeper.

Your local Comcast office should have CableCards in stock. I would suggest asking for at least two CableCards. They don't test the CableCards they give out, a high percentage of them are defective. I went through four CableCards to get two that worked. Return the unused CableCard when you return the X1 crap.

The Roamio startup process will tell you when to insert the CableCard and when to call Comcast for activation. Do not call the regular Comcast tech support number, call the CableCard activation number: 877-405-2298

There's a chance the CableCard you receive will have out of date firmware. If all six tuners on the Roamio don't work you'll know you have out of date firmware. Post a note to ComcastTeds on the Xfinity TV support forum and he'll get you updated quickly.

3. Mustanger

Mustanger Member

Jun 10, 2015
    I recently switched from X1 to a Roamio Pro and at first they gave me the wrong card and I was having pairing problems. After finding a number for a Comcast dedicated TiVo department, 1.855.484.1453, they finally determine I had the wrong card. My local office had given me an 802, where as the Roamio Pro needs either an 800 or 801.

4. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the tips!

How do I quickly figure out if all six tuners work (besides attempting to record 6 things at once)? Is there some status screen that shows how many tuners are recognized?

Thanks for the dedicated cablecard phone number!

Is the cablecard firmware user-upgradeable, or is this something that requires a Comcast resource? If it's user-upgradeable, there must be a previous post that allows anyone to do it (I hope). The last thing I want to do is post something to their forum and cross my fingers that someone is knowledgeable enough to answer the question correctly if there's a chance that a forum posting has the answer already documented... :)

5. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Ouch... How frustrating...

So if I go to the Comcast local office and tell them that I need an 800 or an 801 cablecard, will that be easy for them to identify? Is the cablecard number obviously visible on the card itself?

Thanks all...I think with your help, I will hopefully avoid some of the pain and frustration you guys encountered...

6. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    You can use the Info button (I think that's the right one) on the remote and then scroll down to see what all six tuners are doing. You can select each tuner and cycle through them.

The only (best?) way to get the CableCard's firmware updated is by asking ComcastTeds on the Xfinity TV forum. Or possibly by asking on Comcast's Twitter feed? I'm not a Twitter user so I'm not sure about that.

7. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
  8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Lets be clear, most installations are not problematic and you don't see those stories posted here. Some are, and coming to seek advice here is helpful to many.

9. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Good to know...

Here's hoping that I am in the middle of the bell curve... :)

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Carefull with that advice. My local Comcast added an ADO fee the day I picked up a CableCARD. Pick up two, and they might add two. I returned one in March that they continued to charge me for, while removing the Customer Owned Equipment credit. The last time I called, they credited my account but I see no evidence that they made a permanent change so fully expect the charge to be there on my next bill.

11. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Given the fact that the folks in the bell curve don't have any issues, I am going to request one and take my chances... I may be very clear that I want an 800 or an 801 card to ensure I don't have the same issues as Mustanger had with the 802 card...

12. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    You're right, one has to watch their bill.

In my case I only had the extra CableCards and Comcast STBs for one week. I returned them on a Saturday morning and asked the rep to double-check my account before I left. She was great -- she triple-checked everything and my bill was correct.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the goal is to minimize viewing downtime, I'd first look at whether both systems, X1 & TiVo, can be setup simultaneously, allowing you to keep the X1 equipment operational until the TiVo setup is both running and primed with content.

The main roadblock to this approach is whether you have the ability, connectivity and spare parts to hookup all the components at the same time, whether located at or near their final resting places, or staging some or all of the TiVo equipment in an out-of-the-way location.

You'll also need unused TV inputs to which the TiVo devices can be connected; otherwise, you may need to swap inputs when using the TiVo equipment. The Roamio Pro can be connected via any of HDMI, Component or Composite, while the Mini is HDMI-only, unless you've ordered a set of the "A/V Breakout Cables."

So, for the sake of argument, I'll assume you *can* have it all (connected) -- in which case, I'd break the effort down into the following blocks:
    A. Acquisition
    B. TiVo Staging & Initialization
    C. Roamio CableCARD Authorization
    D. TiVo Setup & Evaluation
    E. X1 Shutdown

In more detail...
    p.s. On an only slightly related note, I felt compelled to share this post that I stumbled across over on Comcast's forums whilst gathering links and what-not...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  14. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Make sure to get a tuning adapter with that cable card if your area uses them.

15. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks!

Never heard of a tuning adapter... Anyone in the Bay Area know if it is applicable in our area?

16. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    You can can hit the live TV button to go to the next tuner, change the channel, and repeat until you have 6 different channels on all 6 tuners. You can do a right arrow and down to see the channels tuned on all 6.

You are kind of recording since each tuner has its own buffer, but you won't save any show as a recording.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Comcast doesn't use SDV, so no tuning adapter needed.

18. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    They do in some parts of their system, specifically areas they bought out from another company that may have used them.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Okay then. Sf is not one of those areas.

20. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I just picked up my cable card from Comcast ahead of my Roamio delivery next Tuesday.

They scanned the card's UPC symbols to identify the card and sent me on my way.

Here's where I get a little worried... I logged into my Comcast account, and the cable card shows up on my list of "equipment"...the serial number is spot on... but the MAC address shown on the website for the cable card is completely different than the MAC address on the cable card sticker...

Should I be concerned? I know she didn't type anything on her keyboard...it was all scanning... Should I go back to the store and challenge them on this anomaly? Or will everything work out fine, and I shouldn't worry?